Glowsticks

Josey

“I swear, Joseph. You’re grandson is dancing on my nerves.” I said turning to Joseph and looking at him carefully. He just moved a piece and smiled an old smile. I heard him say something under his breath, but I didn’t bother him about it. He knew perfectly well what was my hearing volume. This was something of his and I wouldn’t intrude.

“You know, Audette, you remind me a lot of the way my wife and I were.” He smiled a sad smile and gazed into the sunset. By that time, I won two of the twenty or so games we played. We can pretty much say I sucked. I thought I was the master at this, but Joseph just had to come along and show me I was wrong. Oh, my wounded ego! Just kidding.

“What do you mean?” I heard behind me. I didn’t even bother to turn around. I knew who it was. Jackson. Cutting into conversations as usual. Why was he so rude?!

“I mean, your grandma hated my guts too. And your mother hated your father’s guts too. It almost seems like a tradition.” He finished smiling at me, and I immediately reddened up. ‘Does this mean I’ll marry Jackson?’ I thought and turned around to gaze at the boy.

He just stood there, shoulders down with his arms in his pockets looking at his grandfather. He felt my gaze and looked at me, smirked and winked. That pissed me off, and I’m not sure why. I humph-ed and turned around. ‘Or maybe not. I should get my hormones checked.’

“Jackson, why don’t you sit with us? I’d like you to get to know Audette better.” Joseph said wisely. I shook my head like a maniac and Jackson seemed to contemplate his next move. Seeing me scramble in front of immediate danger, he just shook his shoulders and sat with us. He looked at me intensely and I just blushed and looked to my left, into the dusty backyard of Joseph’s. It still shocked me sometimes that I hadn’t known this man, until now.

“Sure, grandpa. Whatever you say.” He said and put his arms behind his head. In just that split second, his arms flexed, showing his amazing muscle and how toned he really was. I just stared open mouthed for a bit, but closed it as soon as I heard Jackson snicker. I pouted and crossed my arms in an annoyed fashion, while blushing. Joseph laughed a bit too. I loosened up a bit and smiled as well. 'What an incredible old man.’

“Now, Jackson. Ask Audette whatever you want. It’s time for my nap.” I threw my head up and looked at Joseph speechless. He couldn’t leave me alone with this jerk! He couldn’t!

“Goodnight Audette. Thank you for the games.” I heard him say before the doors closed. I whispered an inaudible “Thank you.” And then looked at Jackson almost fearfully. It was like I was standing in front of a hungry hyena who’d eat me alive any time without warning.

Time seemed to pass by awkwardly, for me at least. He looked like he had no problem staring at me, eyebrows locked in concentration. I coughed a bit, but he didn’t budge.

'Great.'
♠ ♠ ♠
"Josey, don't you worry, It's just a phase you're going through. Some day you'll know just what to do."
- Hey Monday