Glowsticks

That Golden Rule

I slowly walked to work. After the great day that yesterday proved itself to be I settled on staying home and watching some Dallas episodes. It was a re-run obviously, but it served its purpose. It didn’t make me want to live in a big city. Actually, it was impossible. I barely had any money here, so lets not even talk about life in a city.

As I kept my steady pace, I noticed dust rising up, slowly covering everything in a thin sheet of nature. In front of me, at about 20 feet, stood the lonely gas station. After watching horror movies, people didn’t want to pull up in the middle of nowhere. Part of the reason why we didn’t have any motels or proper bars. This city was a bore. And everyone who lived in it knew it. Safety, boredom, whatever you may want to call it. But my heart, much as everyone else’s, ached for a bit of adventure, something to spice things up. And I had a feeling Jackson was what Rosetown so anxiously called for.

“I must be going crazy. Jackson’s nothing but a prick.” I mumbled.

Kicking small pebbles, I tried convincing myself that was the actual truth. But behind his mask, stood a sensitive, caring boy waiting to come out and spread his locked up feelings. My fear was that that boy was so well kept in, he might just drown.

“Oh shoot!” I complained, taking off the brown flats I had on. The pebbles I kicked slipped in making it one painful walk. As I took them off, I leaned against the small building, hearing it crack slightly under my weight.

‘Someone’s gotta cut the sugar.’ I thought, patronizing what girls my age usually thought. The building was old so it was going to crack.

I opened it and went in, carefully setting my things by my side. With so much things, and so little to do, this was going to be another long day in which I waste another day of my life. A thought popped up in my head and I eagerly let the plan form itself.

I dialed the numbers and waited for someone to pick up. Of course, Joseph was my first pick. I wouldn't know what to tell Jackson. Or if he'd even stay if I told him what I felt.

But then again, what did I feel? I didn't love him, and that was as solid as the ground beneath my feet. I didn't even like him as much. He was handsome and he was caring sometimes but none of that won me over. I just wanted him to stay. For the sake of Rosetown and my increasing boredom. One more human being couldn't hurt. I was being selfish; but for the first time, it didn't bother me.

"Hello?" Joseph's fully awake voice answered. I smiled and felt my heart lift in happiness. I couldn't handle Jackson when I cut my feelings so deep.

"Joseph, hi! It's me, Andie." I said happily. Joseph sighed in happiness and I was even more eager to make conversation.

"Audette! It's so nice to hear from you! I- Oh wait, excuse me." I heard some shuffling in the background and some muffled voices. My curiosity increased when Joseph sighed again, this time not as happy.

"Joseph? Are you okay?" I asked, sadness tugging at my heart. He didn't deserve to be sad.

"Audette, I'm afraid I'll talk to you later. Something came up and I have to handle it." Joseph said and I jumped up.

"Wait! Joseph! Is Jackson there?" I blurted and I immediately reddened. Joseph sighed again and hung up the phone. I frowned and rejection and fear nipped at me from every direction.

'What could possibly make Joseph act like that? It's not like him.

I opened the small TV, anxious to see what the world's been up to. if my life stood still, it didn't mean the World's did. However, what was on TV was something even more boring that I wanted. All those shocking accidents, people killed, numbers that represented actually souls. I pursed my lips and closed the TV. I began to walk around, getting more and more nervous as time passed by. I have to admit, the fact that Joseph hung up on me so fast made me suspicious. And I know, I barely knew him and he was an old man, which gave me no reason to get suspicious of him. Maybe this was the way he acted and then he had his good days. Most of us have bad days too.

I walked around, looking for more things to arrange or to fix. This building was old, it wasn't safe to stay in anymore, but it was harder to leave this town, this small town that was off the map. I tried once, and I only came back here in pieces. Big cities could really break a girl like me.

"Hi." A girl I once knew walked in. I hadn't talked to her since third grade.

"Hi, Susie. What's up? How are your folks?" I asked politely. She went to the back of the store and came back with 3 bottles of water. I smiled and registered them. She played with the hem of her skirt a bit - a skirt a little bit too short. I sighed and smiled. I was used to Susie. Even in third grade, guys ran after her. Always. It didn't even scare them that she had an older brother. And Luke could get scary if he wanted.

"Ugh, don't remind me, Andie. They make me go out and buy all their stuff now that they've 'grown older'." She said, air quoting the last words. " The amount of work they put in raising Luke and I never ceases to amaze me. I would've thrown both our asses out the window." She laughed.

I joined in. I knew how she felt. I always thought about the strength my mother and father must've had raising me. And I knew from other sources that I wasn't the most calm and collected kid either.

"Good thing you don't want to be a parent anytime soon. I can't imagine how that would go." I said giggling. She stuck her tongue at me and pinched my right cheek. Hard.

"Don't try to outdo me, missy. Oh, and by the way, mom and dad invited you to dine with us. Mom is making her extra special lasagna for you; so you must come. Me and Luke will starve to death if you don't." She offered, wiggling her brows. I backed away, a little uncomfortable at the attempts Susie's mom made to make me fall in love with Luke. We would always flinch when she raised the subject.

"Um.. Actually.." I started but she immediately cut me off.

"Awe, c'mon, Andie! I've been waiting on that lasagna for 3 freaking months. You don't want to deliberately torture me, do you?" She asked, making her best puppy dog eyes. I wanted to stay here. Stay home, in case Joseph called. In case Jackson came by. I sighed and nodded my head.

"Yay! You're the best!" Susie said jumping up and down. I smiled and she quickly scurried away, after paying me and getting the receipt. I looked at the TV again. It looked like it was taunting me.

Oh, Jackson..
♠ ♠ ♠
"If you want my love then baby take all of it, all that I'm asking for is everything."
- Ryan Tedder

the idea with the model was complete shit.
i apologize for that bad bad bad idea.
and now that this barrier isn't up anymore
i can freely update.
turns out it was being held up by the bad idea
with the model.
ugh.