Maybe Nice Guys Don't Always Finish Last

We're Busting You Out Of Here

Image

“Mira, get up you lazy bum. We’re busting you out of here,” Mira heard her most favorite Australian say.

She smiled as she opened her eyes to see Blake’s smiling face. After spending a week in the hospital, she was finally going home. Blake volunteered to be the one to take her home. Adam tried to tag along, but Mira and Blake told him nicely that they didn't think it was the best idea. Blake’s been with her everyday. With the hospital believing that he was her fiancé, he was able to come and go as he pleased. The only time he leaves is in the morning to take a shower and get changed. Once he does those two things, he’s right back by Mira’s side. He hasn’t popped the question yet; if she would want to his girlfriend, but plans to in the near future if everything goes well.

“Did you bring my clothes?” she asked sitting up slowly.

“Yes, do you want me to help you put them on?” he asked with a smirk.

“Thanks, but I think I got it,” she said as she bounced on one foot to the bathroom.

She was unable to put any amount of pressure on her left leg. Blake walked behind and held her hands to make sure she didn’t fall and break something else.

“I think you’ve got this bouncing thing down,” he said as she finally made it to the bathroom.

“It’s a lot better than crutches,” she smiled as she closed the door.

It took her a little longer than average to change. Having casts on her leg and hand had a lot to do with it. After twenty minutes of frustration and a few swear words escaping her, she hopped back out to her room. Blake smiled at her as she hopped back on the bed to sit down with him.

“What are you going to do all by yourself?” he asked glancing over at her.

“Hop around like I am now. Why do you care?” she asked with her famous attitude.

“I can’t just care about you?” She just looked at him. She’s never heard those words from anyone before. “I’m staying with you until you get better,” he finished as he hopped down from her bed.

“Uh, no you’re not,” she said with a little more attitude than normal.

“It wasn’t a question,” he said as he stood in front of her and rested his hands on each side of her on the bed.

“Maybe I don’t want you in my house.”

“It’s not going to be that long; just until you get your casts off.”

“That’s eight weeks,” she said trying to look at him meanly, but smiled instead.

“See you like the idea,” he said as he kissed her softly on the lips.

With their lips still pressed together, Joey barged into the room.

“Mir, you’re liberated… and you’re kissingBilko,” he said as the two parted quickly.

“No… we weren’t. You’re just seeing things,” Mira said looking everywhere else but at Joey.

“She never remembers kissing me,” Blake said with a smile.

“Yes, I do,” she said smacking him lightly on the shoulder.

“Well, I came to take Mira home, but I guess you don’t need me anymore,” Joey said looking down at his feet.

“Aw, Joey, I still love you. Come here,” she said holding her arms out for him.

She wasn’t about to move from her spot. Joey accepted and Mira gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“Whoa now. You’re making your man jealous over there,” he said nodding towards Blake.

“He’s not my man,” Mira said giving Joey a glare.

“That’s not what it looked like when I walked in,” he said with a smirk on his face. “I guess I’ll see you two later then,” he finished and walked out the door.

“Oh, Joey,” Mira said and lay back on her bed.

“Mira, you know you can leave. You don’t have to lie in that bed anymore,” he said walking back over to her.

“But it’s been my home for the last week,” she said in a childish tone as she sat back up.

“You have to be kidding me.”

“Yeah, I am. Get me the hell out of here,” she said hopping down on her right foot.

“Mira, you’re going to fall,” Blake said watching her hop all the way to the door. Her crutches were out in Blake’s truck, waiting for when she got home.

“You’re not stopping me, Bilko,” she said as she attempted to go out to the hallway.

She never got the chance because Blake picked her up from behind.

“Put me down, now,” She said trying to sound intimidating, but a smile showed through instead.

He smiled at her as he adjusted her so he was carrying her bridal style. Even when they were in the elevator, he still held onto her. She wanted so badly to kiss him right there, but the elevator dinged, telling them that they were now on ground level. He carried her out to his truck and put her in the passenger seat gently. She smiled at him as he reached across her to buckle her seat belt.

“Let’s get you home,” he said after she was situated and then he shut the door.

Mira watched as he walked in front of the truck to the driver’s side door. She thought he looked extra cute today. It was one of the few times he wasn't wearing a hat. He climbed in and when he started it, Lady Gaga came through the speakers. She smiled as he turned the volume down.

“I love your taste in music,” Mira said unable to hide a smile.

“Thanks,” he said smiling as he pulled out into the road.

Just being out of the white room made Mira so happy. Blake on the other side of her helped that too. Seeing her familiar surroundings, just made her want to get home so much more. She looked over at Blake. He was so concentrated on driving that he didn’t notice her.

“Thank you,” she said still looking at him.

“You’re welcome?” he said confused.

“No one else would have stayed with me like you did… It was really nice of you,” she said while looking at her hands in her lap.

“You’re kidding me right? You had Joey and Adam there too though,” he said in disbelief.

“Yeah, but they came and went. You… stayed. And not to mention Cory, but…” she trailed off.

“I’m sorry, but he is a complete asshole. Why would he come and start something with you while you’re in the hospital. I understand if he got frustrated, but damn,” he said as he stopped at a red light and looked over at her.

“It was a mistake. I should have never taken him back. Guys like him never change,” she said finally looking back up at him.

“Not to be all up in your business or anything, but what about your parents?” he said just as the light changed to green.

“They sort of just don’t support what I do. So by showing their non-support, they just don’t communicate with me at all,” she said like it didn’t affect her. She was so numb to this fact, that it didn’t bother her anymore.

“I’m sorry,” Blake said wishing he had never asked that question.

“Don’t worry about it. I think I’m doing just fine without them… well minus my broken state right now,” she said with a smile.

“Oh, Mira… You’re amazing,” he said as he pulled into her driveway.

“So are you, Blake.”

“She called me Blake,” he thought as he shut the truck off. He’s been so used to people calling him Bilko that it was weird for him to hear his actual name.

“You ready for this?” he asked as he opened her door. She attempted to climb out by herself, but he stopped her. “Don’t worry, Ice Box. I got you,” he said with a smile as he picked her up.

“There’s going to be rules for you if you stay here,” Mira said smiling as they made it up to her porch.

“I have a feeling you’re going to tell me rule number one.”

“Do not call me Ice Box. I promise to be nice.”

“I think I can manage that,” he said as he opened the door.

Since Mira was too focused on Blake, she didn’t even realize there were other people in the room. The reason she looked was because Blake stopped and wouldn’t go any further. When she turned her head, her smile grew.

“What are you guys doing here?” she asked as Blake put her down and she hopped over to her friends, Kaya and Tally.

“Bilko’s been giving us updates on you. We figured the least we could do, since we couldn’t see you at all, we’d see you right when you got home,” Kaya said as they all hugged each other.

The two helped Mira over to the couch. They pulled a table close so she could rest her leg on it. As they talked, Blake made a few trips out to his truck to bring all of her belongings in. Mira noticed her friends wanting to say something, but every time Blake came in they changed subjects.

“Mira, I’m going to go get a few things. I’ll be back in a little bit,” Blake said as he went out of the house for the last time.

When he was gone, she got looks from Kaya and Tally. Those looks quickly turned to smiles.

“It’s not what you guys think it is,” Mira said quickly.

“You want us to be believe that? Why’s he going to go get something’s?” Tally asked still with a smile on her face.

“Because he may be staying with me,” she said softly, hoping that they wouldn’t hear her.

“Really? Well you two should have a good time. Just the two of you in this big empty house,” Kaya teased with.

“It’s not like that. He’s just my friend.”

“You didn’t act like that the first day you met him… Oh and the way he carried you in here, friends don’t carry friends like that,” Tally said with a smirk.

“Believe what you guys want to. He’s not my boyfriend and probably won’t ever be,” Mira said as she dropped her gaze to the floor.

While she was in the hospital, Blake wouldn’t let her talk about their ‘situation’. He told her to wait until she was well enough to go home. She was afraid that he would still be upset with her when she told him the truth. She didn’t want to lose him again.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment?