Maybe Nice Guys Don't Always Finish Last

Lost A Best Friend, Gained An Ex

Image

“You guys are leaving already?” Cary asked as Adam and Mira got ready to leave the next morning.

“I know. It’s so sad. I want to stay though,” Mira said as she went to hug him goodbye.

“We’ll definitely be back after X,” Adam said appearing from around the corner.

“You’ll bring Bilko, right? I haven’t seen that kid since he came from Australia,”

Mira cringed again. She already said her goodbye to Cary so she went to wait in her truck. As she waited, the only thing she could think about was how she hated to be alone with her thoughts, especially now. It always made her mind wonder to places she didn’t want it to…like Bilko. All she wanted to do was go home to get her mind off him.

“Ready to get home?” Adam asked when he got into Mira’s truck about ten minutes later.

“Hell yes. Get me home,” Mira said as she flipped her sunglasses over her eyes.

“So… Bilko?” Adam tested.

“What about him, Adam?” Mira asked with a sigh.

“Do you just not like him or what’s you’re deal?”

“Nope. I hate him with a passion,” she said with a hint of sarcasm in her voice… so little that Adam didn’t catch it.

“What’s wrong with him?”

“Adam, don’t go there,” she said bringing her head to her hand and rubbing her forehead.

“Mir, we’re going there. If I’m going to be stuck in a vehicle with you for four hours when I know my friend's all jacked up over you, we’re going there and I’m not stopping until I get answers,” Adam said letting his frustration show through.

“Adam, don’t. It’s not going to make things better,” she said trying to keep from going off on him.

“How can it get any worse? Mira, he likes you. He told me he liked you from the second you took your sunglasses off to look at him. For you do to that to him is just fucked up.”

“Because I’m not interested him at all. I just did it to fuck with Tally and Kaya,” Mira said losing it.

“And you didn’t expect him to have a reaction to any of what you did at all?”

“I wasn’t thinking about him, alright. Is that what you want to hear?”

“If it’s the truth then yeah.”

They both went back and forth for more than half the way home. Their main subject: Blake ‘Bilko’ Williams. Mira didn’t tell him everything that she was thinking that night; just the general run down. She knew he would go back and tell Blake. For the last hour of their trip, they feel silent. Mira wanted to bang her head against the window. The longer they were silent, the more she felt bad for yelling at him. Adam’s been there for her since she started getting into the freestyle motocross scene. She considers him one of her best friends. She’s never fought with him like this. Once her neighborhood came into view, she needed to apologize to him.

“Adam, do you hate me?” she asked in a small voice as he pulled into her driveway.

“I’m not the happiest with you right now, but I could never hate you,” he said shutting the truck off and getting out. He didn’t say another word to her as he got his bike off of her truck.

“Adam, I’m sorry,” she said meaning it as he finished putting his bike into his truck.

“Oh, Mira,” he said with a sarcastic smile and shake of the head.

“What?” she asked while crossing her arms. Her attitude and confidence was long gone.

“Think about. Am I the one you should really be apologizing too? Did you fuck with my head? Did you fuck with my emotions? And then to go and lie about it and not expect it to affect him. I’m sorry, Mira, but that’s so low. I wouldn’t imagine you would do that to someone, especially Bilko. He’s such a nice guy, Mir. But you wouldn’t know that would you? You were too busy using him to fuck with your friends,” he said and then left.

Mira stood there stunned. Her best friend had just said that to her. She knew what she did was wrong, but he didn’t need to lay it out that way for her, she thought. After the uncomfortable drive home and the monologue from Adam, she still didn’t want to see Blake. The person she wanted to see pulled up a few minutes later.

“I’m so glad you’re home,” Cory said getting out of his car and hugging her.

With all she’s been through in the last four hours, she managed to smile. All she could think about while she was in Vegas,other than Blake, was Cory.

“I’m so glad you came,” she said as they held each other at arms length.

They hung out the rest of the night trying to rekindle their flame. For the most part, Mira thought they were successful…It would have been completely successful if she could stop thinking about a certain Australian. As the two were lying in bed, Mira couldn’t sleep. Cory had long ago passed out. She laid there staring at him. She fell in love with this man four years ago. All his features were the same; he’s perfectly tanned skin, his colorful tattoos that she loved to stare at, his full lips, his long eye lashes that casts shadows on his cheeks when he slept, and his hair that has recently been cut short. She’d be lying if she said she didn’t miss him.

“Why do I feel like I’m making a mistake,” she thought as she rested her head on his chest and slowly went to sleep by the sound of his heartbeat.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?