Assassins Lure

Destination

It took days to reach Tanarsis, time spent talking. Reliving the past year of each others lives through their conversation. At no point did the subject of revenge come up. Both wanted to joy in one another's company and ignored work related topics.
Tanarsis nestled in the curve of a large river, the Arphine, which flows hundreds of miles from a nearby mountain range to the sea. On its way across the plains it gathered silt so that when it reached the city it was already moving sluggishly. A condition which was not helped by Tanarsis’ population of two hundred and fifty thousand.
Tanarsis is a walled city but the ancient city walls no longer offer any protection. The city had grown in the hundreds of years since its construction and now buildings nestled close to the wall. any attacking force could walk from the roof of the buildings straight onto the ramparts.
In the heart of the city rises a great cathedral, testament to the economic prosperity the people there have enjoyed. Before it sprawls a large square, home of the cities merchants and source of its wealth.
All this met Sarah's eyes as she crested the hill and the city came in sight. The destination was obvious. A small house off the main square , down a side street. Though rich enough to hire an assassin this merchant could not afford the kingly prices required for a house fronting the square.
The two assassins had no difficulty entering the city. The guard at the gates had their hands full and hardly spared a glance at the couple who walked through the gate. Gaining entrance to the merchant quarter was not so easy. This rich area of the city is patrolled by men hired by various merchant guilds to insure the peace of mind of the wealth who live there.
“This way,” Sarah looked questioningly at him but followed him into a alley before they reached the square. “First we need an Inn, we can get something to eat while we wait. Next some expensive clothes. We wont get a step into that quarter looking like we do.”
“I’m not a student anymore,” Sarah cut him off. “I’ve been working on my own for a long time now. I think I know what needs to be done. Besides have you ever taken out anyone in that quarter before?”
“To be honest, I haven't had many contracts for there. But one merchant quarter is much like any other.”
“Well I have, so this time the master can follow the students lead.”
“Yes sir” he replied with a hint of a smile.
“Shopping time!!!” Sarah declared moving purposely away through the crowd. Leaving a very amused master assassin to follow her.
Sarah led the way into a very respectable part of town. Straight down a very well tended street and into an expensive looking shop. Across the shop windows masterfully crafted gowns hung on mannequins and once within the shop every available piece of floor was taken up with more. wending her way through the forest of gowns Sarah made her way towards the counter.
Behind the counter stood a very small old man whose face split into a delighted grin as he say who came into his shop.
“Countess Highpass what a pleasure it is to see you again” the old man shouted as he rounded the counter and shuffled towards her. “Oh this cant do, these clothes. Hunting again? tut tut tut. Right this way.” Taking her arm he led her back into the forest of gowns and towards a distant corner of the shop. “I have just the piece for you. I made it with you in mind last month against the possibility of you returning. Now just you wait here.” The old man disappeared through a curtain into a storage room.
“Countess Highpass?”
“A cover I made up a few years back. This old man makes the most wondrous cloths you have ever seen.”
“You do know that there is no count of Highpass. That land is owned by the Duke of the Eagle Reachs.”
“I know but its on the other side of the continent. Nobody's going to notice some minor countess.” As she finished speaking the old man returned carrying a red satin dress.
“You know where the changing room are go try it on. And does your friend need anything?”
“Could you get him something in fashion but not outrageous.” she called over her shoulder as she disappeared into the clothes. The old man didn't reply but instead disappeared once again. When he returned the clothes he bore where fashionable but not gaudy enough that the assassin would refuse to wear them.

He emerged from the changing room to see Sarah standing before him. The dress only barely hung on her shoulders and was cut suggestively low in the front. She looked amazing. Seeing him looking at her she said “You look quite the gentleman yourself.”
“Is that a compliment?”
“Could you hold onto our other cloths until we return?” she asked the old man before walking out of the shop. “Now just act like you belong. Nobody will challenge us, not after the last time I kicked up a fuss anyway.”
The walk through the merchants quarter was uneventful, none of the guards looked twice at the respectable couple out for a late night stroll. It only took a half hour to reach the house they where looking for. They stopped down the street from it and pretended to be deep in conversation while examining the house. It had changed since they had last seen it. No longer was the house open to intruders. The ground floor widows where heavily shuttered and the walls had been plastered smooth leaving no handholds. “A challenge, nothing more.” the thought echoed in both their heads as they moved behind the house.