Status: Finished

Wild Night

Live Fast Die Young

A doctor clad in white came walking towards us. His face was solem. His eyes showed no emotion. I'm sure he's seen so much that at this point its nothing new. Just a job. None of us moved when he went to the group next to us. My two thumbs pinched the bridge of my nose. The rest of my fingers locked with one another and my elbows rested on my knees. I stared hard at the pattern on the ground. Red dot. Blue dot. Red dot. Red dot. Blue dot. Her parents sat a few chairs away from me. Brian sat next to me and them. Sure she had used up all her shock value with them, I'm sure thought they never expected this. No one expected this. Not this. Not to go this far. Jenn sat across from me. To me it looked like she was rethinking her whole life. Once or twice she would look away and wipe her face. Zacky was sitting by himself. Jimmy just watched the fish while Johnny shook his head at himself I guessed. I couldn't even look at her parents. I'd lose it if I did. Her mom prayed under breath. Brian...his face was blank. But his eyes said it all. Once in a while he would close his eyes and shake his head. Inaudible words would escape his mouth. As I was about to go back to looking at the floor I noticed the doctor who helped us come walking up. Her parents stood up quickly. I couldn't. I am glued to the chair. We all listened carefully.

Dr: are you Melly's family?

Dad: yes.

I held my breath.

Dr: well she's....

This was it. My mouth clamped shut and my eyes closed. As he spoke those words my tears ran freely. And as much as I tried I could not hold back my sob. My face buried itself in my hands. Her moms quiet sobs made me cry harder. I looked at Brian. Slow tears ran down his cheeks. His eyes met mine and he wrapped his arms around me. I just let go.

Brian: its ok man. She's going to be ok.

Matt: I know...

I stammered.

Matt: I know.

She looked so worn out. All the things connected to her didn't help. Her chest slowly rose and fell. So slowly. It made me want to cry all over again. I held her hand tightly. Just waiting for her to squeeze back. I knew it was only a matter of time.

Zacky: hey man, me, Jimmy, and Johnny are leaving.

I just gave a nod.

Zacky: call us if you need anything.

Another nod. They left and it was just me for the brief moment. I hated seeing her with a tube down her throat. Her eyelids twitched and I perked up. Nothing. The color was drained from her. She looked dead. It sent a chill down my spine. I'd give the world to trade spots. A hand rubbed my back in comfort.

Jenn: you should get some sleep.

Matt: I'm not leaving.

Jenn: I'm not saying to leave Matt just get some sleep.

I shook my head.

Matt: I'm fine.

Jenn: alright.

I heard her take a seat.

Matt: where's Brian?

Jenn: getting coffee.

Matt: is he ok?

Jenn: he's...going to be. I think.

I just nodded.

Jenn: how are you?

She asked quietly and slowly. I glanced over my shoulder to look at her.

Matt: my wife almost died.

My eyes went back to their post.

Matt: maybe now you'll sober up Jenn.

Jenn: yes.

We stayed the night. Sun light entered the room through the cracks of the blinds. Across my face inconviently. Jenn and Brian were cuddled together on a chair in the room. A nurse walked in and started checking up on Melly. I sat up and watched as she carefully did so.

Matt: how is she?

Nurse: she'll be fine honey. Her body is just worn out.

Matt: thank you.

Her smile was sympathetic.

Brian: did you get any sleep?

I glanced at him.

Matt: a little.

Brian: better than nothing.

A sigh filled the room. I switched the chair around so I would be facing both Melly and Brian. He clamped his eyes shut and opened them. They were a bit glossed.

Brian: I-I didn't think she was going to make it.

He sniffed back a tear or two.

Matt: niether did I.

Brian: I don't think I've ever been more scared in my life.

His free hand wiped his eyes.

Brian: that's my cousin. My own family. And because of me she almost died.

Matt: you didn't give her any of that shit Brian.

Brian: I sure as hell never stopped her from ever doing all the shit she wanted.

Matt: don't think that way.

Brian: its kinda hard for me, Look at Her!

Jenn: what?

Matt: I know Brian.

Jenn: what's going on?

Matt: nothing.

Brian: I need a smoke.

Jenn: I'll go with you.

Once again alone in the room. It felt alone even though I wasn't.

Matt: Melly, you promised you weren't going to have anything. You promised. I can just hear the response you'd give me too. "I told you I'm a good liar" or "I told you I'd disappoint you".

A sigh left my lips.

Matt: you could never disappoint me. Not even now. That's furthest from my mind. All you ever did was make me love you. This is so morbid.

I stood up and looked out the window. Cars drove by. People walked on the side walk. No worries no cares. Birds sang happily.

Jenn: would you like some coffee or water?

Matt: water.

She handed me the bottle and smiled weakly.

Jenn: what are you going to say when she wakes up?

Matt: I don't know.

Jenn: you know what's sad.

Matt: what could be worse?

Jenn: she probley won't care to remember as to why she's even here. But I wouldn't want to know either.

Matt: live fast. Die young.

Jenn: no kidding.

Matt: where's Brian?

Jenn: smoking his entire pack of cigarettes.

There was a silence.

Jenn: I can't remember when me and Brian started dating...I don't even know if we really are.

Matt: you two have been dating for a month or so now.

Jenn: I don't want to live like that anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
another short one...whatever.