The Kids Are All ***ed Up

The Kids Are All ***ed Up

Ava Suarez walked off of a plane from Hartford, Connecticut and into the Brooklyn airport, a slight smile on her tired face.

Hidden behind a pair of white framed Ray Ban sunglasses, her hazel eyes searched the faces of the crowd waiting for arrivals. The girl, standing at nearly five foot eleven, had to get up on her tip toes to look for a familiar face. When she didn't see anybody, she ran her free hand through her long, light brown hair, emitting a slight groan.

Ava continued to walk towards baggage claim, then stopped when she saw a piece of cardboard with 'Ayy-Vuhh' written on it in huge, black handwriting.

"Alex!" she grinned, pulling her brother into an enormous hug.

"Come on, let's go get your bags. Gabe's waiting with the car."

The siblings quickly got the girl's checked luggage from the carousel, then Alex led his younger sister out of the airport and into Brooklyn's sunny April weather. Ava watched as Alex scanned for the car, but laughed when he pulled out his phone and punched in a few numbers.

"Gabanti, where are you?" Alex was quiet as he listened for a response.

"Fine.. Ohh, I see you. Bye," the 26-year-old quickly hung up, pulling his sister and her bags to Alex's familiar black car.

Ava slid into the back seat while Alex put her things in the trunk, then joined Gabe up in the front passenger seat.

"Hey Ava," Gabe smiled politely, and Ava nodded back.

"Hi..."

The man in the driver's seat turned his attention to his band mate.

"So yeah, the lady out front was like, 'if your friends aren't here yet, you need to go around again so other people can pick up their arrivals,'" He imitated the woman with a high pitched voice.

"What a bitch," Alex laughed, and Ava rolled her eyes.

After a good solid twenty minutes of Gabe and Alex joking, Alex noticed his sister's lack of enthusiasm in the conversation.

"Hey Ave, why are you so quiet?"

The girl merely shrugged.

"Just tired I guess."

"What?!" Alex gaped, "you're never tired!"

"Yeah, well waking up at five thirty in the morning so I can be at the airport by six totally blows," Ava retorted, resting her head against the window.

---

When the three arrived at Alex's apartment and Ava's stuff was in the guest room, the brother and sister sat on the couch while Gabe was in the kitchen.

"Look, I know you and Gabe don't get along.. But could you please try not to kill him? I have to go out for a while with Ryland and do some stuff for Ivy League. Can you handle being alone with him?"

Ava nodded.

"I'm twenty-two, Cougar. I can manage a few hours with Gabe."

"Have fun, ok?" Alex gave his sister a quick hug before getting up.

"Bye Gabanti," he called, grabbing his keys and walking out the door.

Ava laughed to herself, hopping up off of the couch and making her way into the kitchen where Gabe was busy reading the instructions for a frozen pizza.

The girl rolled her eyes, walking past him and opening the refrigerator. She stood there, staring at the possible lunch choices when she felt a pair of long, comforting arms wrap around her waist, as soft lips pressed against her neck.

"I missed you so much," Ava admitted, closing the fridge door and turning around to face the man she supposedly 'didn't get along with at all.'

"You have no idea how much I missed you," Gabe Saporta breathed, tenderly planting kisses from her neck up to her much awaiting lips, and when the two connected, familiar sparks flew.

Before Ava even knew it, Gabe had picked her up and set her on the counter so she wouldn't have to strain to reach his lips.

"Gabe," Ava groaned as he focused on a spot on her neck that would've made her weak in the knees.

"Hmm?" he replied, not bothering to stop, and the girl set her hands on his shoulders, pushing him back a little.

"What? Did I do something wrong?"

Ava shook her head.

"Good," Gabe smiled, swooping back in to steal another fiery kiss.

But before things could get too far, Ava pulled away again.

"What's going on, tesora?" he asked, his dark brown eyes carefully watching hers as she smiled at what he called her; he truly thought of her as his treasure.

"I don't want to do this here.. It's my brother's apartment."

"Remember when we did it in Ryland's bunk?" Gabe smirked, making Ava laugh.

"But that's different," she shook her head.

"I thought you liked the rush," he teased, running his long fingers along the girl's sides and tickling her, ultimately earning shrill giggles.

"Stop it!" Ava laughed, locking her feet together around Gabe's legs and pulling him closer.

"If you're not comfortable here, how about we go to my place?"

"Thanks.. I'd like that," she smiled at his kindness.

Gabe somehow turned around, now facing the same way Ava was, as he pulled her off of the counter, supporting her with his arms tucked under her knees.

"Piggyback ride? What did I do to deserve this?" Ava asked, gently blowing on the back of his neck. Gabe halted, trying to look back at the girl.

"Do that again and we won't make it back to my place."

The two managed to make it to the elevator, but once inside, the kissing commenced, only to stop when they reached the ground floor.

The ride to Gabe's had been filled with constant chatter.

The pair had been apart for almost three months, because Cobra Starship went on tour. But even when they were together, they were never intimate unless they were alone. Gabe and Ava had decided to keep their relationship and feelings for one another a secret from everyone, and it was a very dangerous game to play.

The two were extremely cautious when it came to keeping the fact that they were involved a secret. They never spoke to each other more than necessary when around Alex or anyone else. Ava's parents and friends in Connecticut didn't even know she was dating the 28-year-old rockstar.

When they were together around other people, there was an established sort of dislike for each other.
They would make fun of one another, even argue when needed. To everyone else, Gabe and Ava couldn't stand each other, and were only civil because of Alex; but that's what they wanted everyone to think. But if it was just going to be the two of them, they'd have to sneak out late at night or lie to their friends about where they were going, and they had had a few close calls before.

---

On the way up to Gabe's apartment, he couldn't resist just picking Ava up and holding her close to his body, as the girl wrapped her arms around Gabe's neck, smiling to herself.

"What are you so happy about?" Gabe asked, a slight smile across his face as well.

"Do you really need to ask?" Ava let out a soft laugh, quickly kissing his cheek as the elevator doors opened.

Gabe carried Ava into his apartment and straight to his bedroom, tossing the girl onto his bed.

"Gabe!" she laughed as he lifted her legs up one at a time, pulling off her Vans and socks.

"Ava!" he mimicked, "Unbutton your jeans."

"Wow, you're very forward," the girl laughed, undoing the button on her dark, skinny jeans.

"And when am I not?" Gabe asked, taking a hold of the cuffs of her jeans and swiftly tugging them off. Ava unbuttoned her navy blue lumberjack-patterned shirt as Gabe undressed, then joined her in bed.

Two hours later, Ava was getting into her jeans while Gabe took a shower, and her phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Ava, where are you?"

"Oh, hey Alex," she greeted her brother

"I just got home and you weren't here... and neither is Gabe. Did you guys get into it again?"

"No, we didn't start a fight. He left a bit after you did, then I decided to go check out Fifth Avenue, and now I'm planning on finding somewhere for dinner."

"Oh, want me to meet you?"

"I don't really know where I'm going yet, but if you want."

"I'd love to spend time with you, but it sounds like you're preoccupied. Did you meet someone?" Alex asked, sounding concerned.

"Maybe," she answered.

"Well if you want your alone time, maybe I'll get Gabe to come out with me."

"Alright, you have fun with that."

"Bye."

Ava hung up then went into the bathroom where Gabe was wrapping a towel around his waist.

"Alex is gonna call you and ask if you want to do dinner," she told him, her eyes crossing over the edge of his dark red towel.

"Well, what should I tell him?"

Ava didn't reply; she just stood there, glancing over Gabe's wet body.

"Ava!" Gabe yelped, catching her attention.

"What?"

"Your brother. What am I going to tell him?"

"That you don't feel like going out," she answered, and then they heard his phone going off on the night stand.

"Yo, what's up Suavez?" Gabe greeted after the second ring. "Oh? You want me to meet you for dinner? But I just ordered takeout.."

Gabe relaxed, then tightened his grip on the towel around his waist as he watched Ava slip out of her jeans.

"No dude.. I'm not gonna cancel it. I'm gonna eat some Chinese and clear out my Tivo. I've got like, an entire season of Entourage on it," he told Alex as Ava slowly, teasingly unbuttoned her top and beckoned Gabe to come to her.

"Yeah, we'll hang soon, ok? Why don't you call your sister?"

Ava bit her lip, letting a quiet sigh escape as Gabe spoke on the phone.

"Oh well.. I feel sorry for the poor guy she's with. Talk to you later... Bye." Gabe finally hung up, but Ava had disappeared from the room.

"Ava?" Gabe called, walking out into the living room to see her wander into the kitchen and return with a bottle of water.

"So, about that Chinese food," Ava smiled, rubbing her stomach, "I'm starved."

"Well, I'll get some pants on then order us some food."

---

While Gabe ordered Chinese in his boxers and a white shirt, Ava went into his room, pulling on a pair of the man's dark gray sweatpants and one of his black tank tops. She neatly folded her jeans and shirt, setting them on the messy bed, then joined Gabe on the couch in the living room.

"You Tivo'd Fight Club?!" Ava laughed as she read the shows filling his saved items screen.

"Well, yeah. It is your favourite movie," Gabe grinned, and Ava pecked his lips lightly.

"Can we watch it?" she pleaded, and Gabe couldn't say no.

"As long as you don't talk about how hot Brad Pitt is.."

"Oh, please. You should know me by now. I'm an Edward Norton kind of girl," she smirked, cuddling up next to Gabe as the movie started.

Almost an hour into the movie, a knock hit the door.

"Finally! Dinner's here," Ava smiled, "I'll get it!"

She got up, grabbing the cash Gabe had left up on the kitchen counter. The girl opened the door with a huge smile on her face, but within a split second, that smile was gone.

"Oh..." she let out, making Gabe take notice and get up.

"Ava, what's wrong?" Gabe asked as he approached the open door.

"Oh," he repeated, now face to face with Nate Novarro.

"What's going on here?" Nate asked, glancing back and forth between Gabe and Ava, a shocked look on his face.

When neither replied, Nate frowned.

"Gabe, what the hell is this? You guys hate each other!"

Ava looked up at Gabe, who was rubbing his hand over the back of his neck.

"Uh.. Not exactly," Gabe started, ushering Nate inside and quickly closing the door.

"Does Alex know about this?"

"No," Ava squeaked out, trying not to freak out.

"How long has this been going on?"

"Eight months," she replied.

"So you two have been together or screwing or whatever the whole time, and lying to everyone?" Nate clarified.

"You make it sounds so horrible when it's the exact opposite," Gabe snapped, and Nate stared at him.

Ava could tell things were about to head south; Gabe was getting angry, and knowing Nate, he would retaliate.

"Gabe, would you mind if I talked to Nate alone?" she asked, trying to get things under control.

The man next to Ava nodded, running his hand through his dark hair, shooting Nate a glare before heading into his room.

"What are you doing, Ava?" Nate asked, watching her carefully.

"What do you mean?"

"Are you and Gabe fuckbuddies or are you serious?"

"Why would you ask me something like that? Of course Gabe and I are serious. We wouldn't have tried so hard to keep our relationship a secret if we were just messing around."

"You just don't want your brother to find out."

"That may be true, but we also don't want to be a 'Hollywood couple.'"

Nate didn't answer, so Ava asked him an important question.

"Are you going to spill to Alex and everyone else?"

"Why shouldn't I?"

"Because Gabe is one of your best friends! If you do this to him, it will probably end your friendship."

"Are you threatening me?" Nate asked curiously.

"No!" Ava gaped, "I'm telling you the truth! If you decide to go spreading the news, it will start a war. Let me and Gabe decide how and when to tell people. Please, Nate. I don't want my brother
to hate me or Gabe.." Ava wiped at her eyes, trying not to cry. She didn't want Nate to see how much she cared for Gabe.

"Fine. I won't say anything. But you guys need to step up."

"We will.. I promise," Ava nodded.

Nate said goodbye, then left.

As soon as the door closed, Gabe walked out and pulled Ava into his arms, hugging her tightly.

"We have to tell Alex," she mumbled into his neck.

"Did Nate say that?"

"It's the right thing to do."

"Why? Nate won't say anything..." he said quietly.

"Yes, he will. And I don't want to be the girl who ruined Cobra Starship, okay?" Ava let out through ragged breaths. Gabe led her to the couch, sitting her down and staring her straight on.

"The band is going to be fine. All we have to do is make sure Nate keeps quiet."

"We can't control him. We can't make him not tell. Let's just make tonight count, then tell Alex together tomorrow."

Gabe nodded, kissing Ava's forehead and settling back into the couch before the Chinese food came.

The two ate and watched Fight Club as if Nate had never shown up, but it still sat in the back of their minds.

"Will you stay here with me tonight?" Gabe asked as the movie credits rolled.

"Of course," the girl nodded, turning off the TV and helping Gabe clean up.

Once they had settled into bed, Gabe pulled Ava's body as close to his as possible, and he gazed into her hazel eyes.

"No matter what happens tomorrow and over the next few days, I love you."

"I love you too," Ava smiled back, placing a light kiss on his lips.

They had only used those three important words once before, when they last saw one another, so they knew it was true.

---

The next morning, Ava dressed in the previous day's clothes, and Gabe, drove to Alex's apartment.
Ava went up first, and Gabe was to follow shortly after.

"Ava! Where were you last night?! I didn't think you were with whoever you had dinner with.. But were you having a one night stand?" Alex asked all in one breath, and Ava looked to her left, seeing Gabe round the corner down the hall.

"Not exactly," Ava admitted, entering her brother's home.

Before Alex could close the door, Gabe walked up.

"Oh, hey Gabanti!"

"Hey Alex," he nodded.

"Come on in, I'm just about to get the juicy details of Ava's wild night out."

Gabe entered quietly, and Alex closed the door, sitting on his couch, waiting for Ava to tell him all about her 'wild night'. Ava and Gabe stood awkwardly in front of Alex, not knowing what to say.

"Alex, I didn't have a crazy one night stand last night. I was with someone I've been seeing for almost nine months."

"You have a boyfriend, and I didn't know about it?"

Ava nodded, as Gabe just stood there, six feet off to her right.

"Who is this guy and why didn't you tell me?"

The girl went to speak, but Gabe beat her to it.

"I didn't want Ava's life to get screwed up for openly dating a 'rock star.'"

Alex's face immediately went pale. He went to stand up, but sat back down, leaning forward and resting his head in his hands, and his elbows on his knees.

"Alex," Ava said softly, sitting beside her brother and setting her hand on his shoulder.

"Don't touch me," he groaned, and Ava retracted her hand.

The two lovers watched Alex sit there silently, staring at the ground. The girl sighed, getting up and walking over to Gabe, who reached out and hugged her.

"Don't you dare touch my sister!" Alex growled, and Gabe quickly let go.

Ava turned around and stared at her brother, dumbfounded.

"How could you do this? How could you lie to me, and probably everyone else for nine months? You two pretended to hate each other... You'd call each other names, then what? Laugh and go get a coffee once you were alone? 'Oh, Alex, Ryland, Nate and Vicky are so stupid, they can't even figure out we're sleeping together!'" Alex mocked.

"We never laughed at your expense," Ava said, but her brother ignored her comment.

"Was this a 'let's see how long it takes for them to figure it out' thing? Or.. No. It wasn't! You two are serious about this! Who caught you then?"

"Nate," Gabe hissed.

"And I bet if Nate hadn't of caught you, your little facade would still be going, right?"

Ava nodded.

"Alex, don't do anything irrational, or that you'd regret.. You don't want to lose Cobra Starship, do you?" she asked.

"I feel like I already have," he groaned, glaring up at Gabe.

"Oh, dude, don't even!" Gabe started, and Alex stood up, getting in Gabe's face.

"Don't you even try! You're the one who lied to everyone!"

"Get out of my face, Suarez," Gabe seethed.

Alex shoved his best friend, as Ava watched everything.

"Alex, please. Gabe didn't do this by himself. I played a pretty big part in the relationship, and we agreed not to tell anyone."

Alex didn't even glance at his sister.

"Get out of my house, Saporta," he glared, and Gabe nodded.

He shot Ava an apologetic look, then turned and walked out the door.

Once the door had closed, Alex turned to Ava.

"I don't think you should be seeing that douche anymore."

"And why shouldn't I? I love him, and he loves me, Alex. Why can't you be happy for your best friend? I don't care if you're mad at me. Just don't lose Gabe," she told him.

Ava walked out of the apartment and caught the elevator before Gabe could get downstairs.

"Ava," he tried to hide his grin, "we're just making things worse, you know that, right?"

"I know," Ava nodded, "and I don't care."

She stood up on her tip toes, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him fiercely, a huge smile on both of their faces.