Sequel: Draco Malfoy and Me
Status: Completed

How Can You Love a Mudblood?

The Exploration of Hogwarts

I walked down to the dungeons, and explored the potions room. The classroom was a bit dark and damp, but hey, it's in a dungeon! What do you expect?

There was at least one cauldron per table, and they sat simmering on each of the desks. The room was empty, and I looked into the cauldron. The liquid inside was clear, almost like water, and I saw my reflection in it... and someone else’s!

"What are you doing here?" I cried, spinning around, almost knocking him over.

"The question is, what are you doing here, Tessie," said Draco. "If Professor Snape saw you here... you do not want to get on his bad side, especially since you haven't had his class yet!"

Draco pulled me out of the classroom, and started to lead me away. "Where are you taking me?" I asked him.

"Why were you poking around in the potions classroom?" asked Draco.

"I wanted to have a look around, is that a crime?" I sneered at him. "I just wanted to explore a bit. You know, Hogwarts is just so big; I wanted to see the other classes that I had to go to. You know, so I don't get lost..."

Draco sighed. "I will take you around and give you a tour. I know this rat trap like the back of my hand."

"Oh Draco! This place is anything but!" I cried. "I love Hogwarts, it is just so beautiful!"

Draco led me to the Transfiguration classroom, which was near Gryffindor Tower. "This is where you will learn how to change objects into various things," said Draco knowledgeably. "Professor McGonagall teaches this class. I daresay you remember her from the sorting ceremony?"

"Yes, she seemed like a very nice person, someone you don't want to cross..."

"That is true," said Draco. "Once I made my rabbit explode, and she gave me the worst lecture on incompetence and magic."

He then showed me to Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, and to both of our surprise, Professor Lupin was there! "Oh, erm- sorry sir, I just wanted to tour my classes," I began nervously. "You see, I'm new and-"

"That's quite alright, miss," said Lupin, smiling. "You seem like a sensible girl, so I won't penalize you for entering."

I walked into the room, and looked around. There was a closet nearest the door I had just entered from, and something inside it was moving, banging on the inside, yearning to get out.

Suddenly the door flew open, and there stood, right in front of me, a black, shrouded figure. It's bony, skeletal fingers reached out for me, and I began to scream. Lupin rushed to my side, and threw me to the floor. In an instant, the shrouded figure was changed into a pale, round orb.

"RIDDICULUS!" cried Lupin, and the orb was sent straight back into the closet. Lupin bolted the door, and turned the closet so that it was facing the wall.

I shook like mad, and couldn't keep my balance. Draco went quietly to my side, and helped me into a chair.

"What are you hiding in that closet?" I asked wearily. My head had begun to pound, and I began to see two Lupins and Dracos. "I didn't know you had a twin..."

"She's delirious," said Lupin, going into his pocket. "Here, take this. It always helps calm nerves."

Lupin handed me a bar of chocolate, and I bit a small piece off. It slowly began to make me come to my senses.

"That was a boggart you just faced," sighed Lupin. "It is a creature that takes the shape of whatever a person fears the most... and apparently you fear..."

"Death," I whispered. Draco put his hand on my shoulder, comforting me. I had always had a fear of dying, mostly because I had watches several members of my family die. It would scare anyone to watch as a loved one wasted away slowly, life being drained out of face and limb. It scared me so much, I was sent to a psychologist to talk about my irrational fear. Even though I have accepted the rationality and inevitability of death, I still fear it, and I think I always will...

"What was that orb thing that you sent back into the closet?" I asked innocently.

"That was nothing... Draco, I think you better escort the young lady back to her dorm before she hurts herself. I will see both of you on Monday in class."

Draco picked me up, and carried me back to Ravenclaw Tower. "Rowena," I said, and the portrait hole opened for me. "I want you to stay with me," I said, pulling him in with me. Draco looked nervously around, and then walked into the common room.

"Slytherin's common room looks nothing like this," he sighed, plunking down on the couch. "The walls are covered with pictures of snakes, and the room always has this eerie greenish glow. I would rather have this common room than my Slytherin one..."

I lay my head in his lap, looking up at him as he stroked my hair lovingly. The common room was empty because dinner hadn't ended yet.

"There is no place I would rather be right now, than with you Tessie," said Draco as he bent down to kiss me.