Sequel: Draco Malfoy and Me
Status: Completed

How Can You Love a Mudblood?

The Pain of Knowing

The whistle of the train blasted loudly, which startled Draco as he jumped and fell to the floor. I giggled, and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Draco, you are so... funny," I said, helping him up.

"Tessie, we had better get dressed," said Draco, pulling me towards the girls changing area on the train. "We will be at school soon..."

"But, why? Aren't we already dressed?" I asked.

"Muggle clothes aren't acceptable at school, you should know that..."

"I- erm..." I stammered. All I had brought with me were these so-called "muggle" clothes. I didn't know Hogwarts was so peculiar on the dress code...

"See you in a bit," said Draco, patting me on the arm.

I walked into the changing area, and sat down and began to cry. What would Draco say when I showed up to school wearing the same clothes that I wore on the train? He seemed so peculiar about everything, and I didn't want my first friend at school to turn into an enemy.

"Girl, why are you crying?" asked a soft voice from behind me.

I turned to look at a very eccentric looking girl with long blonde hair, wearing black robes, radish earrings, and was reading a magazine called the Quibbler upside-down.

"Well, I am new to this school, and I didn't know that I was supposed to buy robes... All I have brought are "muggle" clothes..."

"You look like you are the same size as me," said the girl with a sigh. "Here, I have a spare you can borrow..."

"Thank you so much, erm... what's your name again?"

"Luna Lovegood," said the girl, turning the page of her magazine.

"Luna, I hope we can be good friends after this! My name is Theresa Smith."

"Don't worry, I'm sure we will be!" said Luna with a smile. "By the way, I would suggest you order robes by owl. Here you can use mine."

"I... I don't know how to or what to do," I whispered.

"Here, I will show you," said Luna.

She rummaged in her bag for a scrap of paper, and whipped out a quill.

"Your measurements are written down now, and now all you need to do is pay ten galleons."

I handed over the strange looking money my mother gave me. Mother had said it was from Dumbledore, who gave it to her when he first met her to tell her I was a witch.

"You have your books also I trust," asked Luna while tying the piece of paper to the owl.

"Uh... I thought they were going to be supplied to us!" I cried. "Oh great, what a way to start school!"

Luna took the piece of paper, and wrote down the books I needed, and I handed over the money for them.

"Here, Hermes, fly as fast as you can, and come back just as quick," said Luna, opening the window to the train and letting the owl fly off into the scenery.

"And the bird knows exactly where to go, and it will come back?" I asked curiously.

"Yes, Hermes is a good owl," said Luna. "My it is late! We best go get our things and be off!"

Luna left the changing area, and I went back to the compartment to gather my things.

Sure enough, Draco was there, waiting for me...
_______________________________________________________________________

"You look stunning in your robes," said Draco, looking me over. He was dressed in the same black robes as I, but underneath it, he wore a white collared shirt with a green and silver tie, and black pants. The black robes he wore had a symbol emblazoned on it, a snake with the words SLYTHERIN above it.

"What does Slytherin mean?" I asked curiously as I touched the symbol and admired its design.

"Oh, that's my house you see," said Draco, inviting me to sit next to him. "I was sorted into that house. It represents real wizards, not mudblood filth and blood traitors!"

"Oh..." I said, not really understanding. "Are there other houses?"

"Yes," said Draco, looking at me curiously. "Hang on, are you a first year?"

"Well, no actually," I said. "I never got my letter till now. I've been told that I'm going to be put into third year."

"Weird, very weird..." said Draco. "Well, I shall explain everything. There are four houses: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. You are sorted into these houses by a sorting hat, and you remain in that dorm for the rest of your seven years of education at school."

"What house do you think I would belong to?" I asked, intrigued.

"Hopefully you will wind up in Slytherin with me," smirked Draco. "Are you a pureblood?"

"I don't quite get what you are saying Draco."

Draco's face had now suddenly begun to whiten. "Are you a mudblood?" he whispered.

"I don't know what that is, and if it anything offensive..." I scowled.

"It means that you have non magical parents, or muggle parents," said Draco. "Answer me, are you a mudblood?"

"Yes... I guess I am," I replied quietly.

"Then you will never be in Slytherin," cried Draco. "We only accept the purest wizards and witches! I should have known that you were a filthy mudblood!"

I looked back at him, and saw his icy blue eyes burn with anger. "Don't talk to me, don't look at me, and sure as damn hell don't touch me!"

Draco left me, and the train blew its whistle one more time, and I gathered my things for when the train finally stopped at Hogwarts. Great, just great. I had already made an enemy before I had even walked through the castle door.