Sequel: Draco Malfoy and Me
Status: Completed

How Can You Love a Mudblood?

Charms Class

I left the office, and made my way blindly towards Ravenclaw Tower. I wandered around, completely lost, and then, I accidentally walked through a ghost.

"EW!" I cried, feeling the coldness seep over my body. The ghost of a woman turned around, and gave me a comforting look.

"Are you lost, miss?" she asked me, her eyes full of concern.

"Yes, you see I am looking for Ravenclaw Tower," I said. "Can you help me?"

"Come, I am the Ravenclaw ghost, I will take you there!"

The ghost guided me all the way to the portrait hole, and I said the password, and it swung open for me. I entered, and was amazed to find a common room filled with books on the walls. The staircase to the left led to the women's dorms, so I walked up the stairs.

I found my things lying on a bed, and began to unpack my things. I was beginning to think that I truly belonged here now. Never mind that Draco boy, and his contradicting thoughts! It must be a hoax! He must be playing around with me, and believe me, he should not be messing with me, especially now that I will be learning magic!

The sky was a midnight blue, and the stars outside my window began to shine with all the brightness they could muster. I gazed out of my window, looking at the beauty of it all, and sighed. 'It is all so beautiful, much more so than what they call here, "muggle schools,"' I thought to myself. After a while, I started to yawn, and then went to bed at last.
_______________________________________________________________________

The next day, I ate breakfast in the Great Hall with my fellow Ravenclaws, and had obtained all of my books, clothes, and finally, a wand. I held the wand in my hand, and felt a surge of power course through my veins.

My wand was very special; it said it on the box that it was packaged in. This was the only wand made of unicorn tail and feather of a dove; they never had fused the two together, and never will.

"Nice wand Theresa," said Luna dreamily, reaching for some more toast. "Excited about your first class?"

"Yeah, it's Charms with Flitwick! I can't wait to start practicing on spells!"

I quickly finished my breakfast, and went to the Charms room. I was early, and no one else seemed to be there. "AH! AN EARLY BIRD!" squeaked a voice. I looked around, but couldn't see who had spoken. Then, I jumped as a very short man stood on top of a desk piled with books. "And who might you be, young miss? I've never seen you around before!"

"I'm Theresa Smith," I said nervously. "And you must be Professor Flitwick?"

"Yes, dear," said Flitwick. "Oh good, all the others are starting to come in! I bet you know plenty of spells since you are a third year!"

"Sir, I don't know the first thing about casting spells or magic," I whispered softly. "I'm brand new to the school..."

"Well my dear, I guess you should just try your best, and if things are too difficult, we will put you in a first year classroom," said Flitwick gently.

Soon the room began to fill with students, and once all had sat down, Professor Flitwick began to teach us the hovering charm.

"You say the incantation: WINGARDIUM LEVIOSA! And then you move your wand like so..."

He swished and flicked his wand gracefully. "I have given you all feathers to work on. Off you go then..."

To my own surprise, Draco walked into the class. I looked at my watch. He was over twenty minutes late.

"Draco, you must not start the term off with such lack of control! Ten points from Slytherin for your lateness! And you have detention with me tonight!"

I sat quietly in a desk toward the front. I began to unpack my books for class when all of a sudden I heard the voice again! 'Great! Just great! Detention and points taken away on the first day of class! What a great way to start term! I wish I could just disappear- just leave and never come back... I wish I could control myself, but it is just an act, an act to mask my true feelings of low self esteem. If I could only be myself...'

I looked around the room. Flitwick was busy writing out a detention slip, and Draco was still sitting in his chair and talking to two really large boys on either side of him.

'I don't know how much more I can take,' said the voice. 'Bad enough that I have to put on the bad-boy act, but worst of all, I think I like this... this girl. But she's a mudblood! How can I possibly have a crush on a filthy mudblood? I cannot deny my desire for her... I fear if I deny them any longer I shall explode, but I must hide it. Mother and father would never approve, and with the way life is going, I know better than to disobey them...'

I turned my head in his direction, and he looked the other way. I then looked down at my feather. How could I possibly make it float in the air with a silly incantation?

"Wingardium leviosa!" I cried. Soon my feather had begun to float into the air, hovering above my head.

"Well done!" cried Flitwick. "What is your name miss, and what house do you belong to?"

"I'm Theresa Smith, sir, and I'm a Ravenclaw," I said, grinning.

"Ten points to Ravenclaw for a job well done, if I do say so myself!" said Flitwick.

After class, I was pulled aside by the professor. "Wait a minute now, Theresa. I want a word with you before you leave."

I hung back, and Flitwick began to rub his temples. "You should not doubt yourself, Theresa. You will do fine in school, and I absolutely refuse to send you to first year classes. You definitely live up to Ravenclaw expectations, I am proud to say... I wanted to ask you if you would like to help me with something tonight."

"Are you going to teach me more charms and spells?" I asked curiously.

"That, and I also hope for you to straighten that Draco boy out," said Flitwick with a mischievous grin. I laughed, and agreed to come to the Charms room at seven for Draco's detention.