Sequel: Draco Malfoy and Me
Status: Completed

How Can You Love a Mudblood?

The Black Lake

Since we were allowed to wear our own clothes on the weekends, I decided to take advantage of this. I put on my hip hugger jeans that hugged my curves, and a cute, blue low cut top under a zip up black hoodie.

"How come you didn't come back to the dorm last night?" asked Luna looking at me seriously.

"Well, Flitwick asked me to come to the classroom at after dinner, and he convinced Dumbledore that I should move up two grades because I was that good at Charms class."

"Very weird, no one ever in the history of the school has ever done that!" cried Luna patting me on the back. "You must be very good then..."

"I managed what they called owl level spells," I said.

"O.W.L. spells!?!" shrieked Luna. "But even I haven't learned that yet! Those are for sixth and seventh year students! Wow, I really am impressed!"

I smiled back at Luna. "I'm going outside to the Black Lake to read some of my school books," I said, giving her a friendly hug. "I promise you that this time; I will be back in the dorm tonight!" With that, I walked down the staircase to the Hogwarts grounds.
_______________________________________________________________________

It was a beautiful day. The sun shone, the birds sang, and the giant squid began to surface in the Black Lake. I found a bit of cracker in my pockets from last night's dinner, and threw some in for the squid to eat. I settled against a nearby tree, and leaned against the trunk as I began to read A History of Magic.

I delved into my History of Magic book, and read all about the past and present history of witches and wizards. I got to the present history in the book, and noticed something quite peculiar:

Harry James Potter (1983- present)
Only an infant at the time, Potter is the only known survivor of the killing curse, Avada Kedavra by the most wicked and evil wizard Lord Voldemort (SEE pg. 300 for more on Voldemort)


I turned to the page as quickly as I could. Who was this Voldemort?

Lord Voldemort (1956- it is unknown if he is alive or dead at the moment)
This wizard is one of the most powerful wizards on the earth. He came into power sometime in the mid 1970's. He is credited to the many deaths of witches and wizards who have tried to fight against him. His followers are called Death Eaters, and they wear the brand of the Dark Lord Voldemort on their arm. What the mark looks like can be found on the next page.


I turned the page, and saw a skull with a snake coming out of its mouth. I shivered; the image had sent chills up my spine.

"Tessie, what's wrong?"

I turned suddenly, and looked up at Draco. He was dressed in bright green robes with the Slytherin symbol on the front of his chest. He held a broom in his hand and was looking down at me, concerned.

I closed the book quickly. "Nothing, nothing at all," I said quietly. "So, why are you dressed all funny?"

"Me, dressed funny?" laughed Draco. "Nah, this is my quidditch robes. You see, I'm a seeker for Slytherin."

"Oh, quidditch!" I cried, remembering the sport from Hogwarts, A History earlier. "I know about that lot! I read about it in my book. It sounds interesting; I should like to see a game!"

"Well, it is exciting," said Draco, sitting next to me. I lay my head against his shoulder, and he put his arm around me.

'OMG!' I thought to myself. 'That mark! The mark from my book! He's a DEATH EATER!'

I got up hurriedly, and backed away from Draco, shaking uncontrollably. I felt as if I was about to pass out.

"You- you're a! You're a DEATH EATER?!?!" I cried, slowly becoming more and more afraid of him by the second. He looked down at his left arm, which was exposed, and looked back at me.

"How did you? Where did you?" he stammered.

"It's all here," I said, pointing to the book. "A History of Magic! Why Draco? Why choose evil over good?"

"You wouldn't understand..." whispered Draco.

"TRY ME DAMN IT!" I screamed, tear streaming down my face.

"My family consists of Death Eaters," said Draco quietly. "Purebloods and the like. Naturally, my parents have ordained me into my role as Death Eater. I had no choice! Do you think I want this stupid thing on my arm? To be loyal to the dark lord?"

"How should I know anything! Remember? I'm a MUDBLOOD! Well you know what? Maybe this was all just a big mistake!" I shouted.

Draco stood up, and looked at me uneasily. "Please Tessie, don't... I'm sorry I didn't tell you before. Really I am! I didn't want to hurt you..."

"Well, you wound up doing it anyway!" I snarled, poking my wand into his chest. I gathered my things. "This was a mistake to come see you. It was a mistake to even care about you! Just leave me alone! Go back to your Death Eater friends, and Voldemort!"

He flinched at the name, and I turned my back on him. 'Oh, Tessie. I only wish things were different. If you only knew what was going on in my life... I would have told you everything, but I couldn't bear to see you heartbroken... Now I see that it was bound to happen anyway. What a fool I am!'

I stopped, and turned around slowly. Draco's eyes widened as I came back to him, and kissed him passionately. "Tell me everything," I said, pulling away from his sweet kiss.

"Very well. Well, I am a pureblood, like I told you. My family takes pride that we are all pureblood Slytherins. Everyone in my family has been sorted into Slytherin, it goes back for ages..."

"Anyway, my father became a Death Eater during the times when you-know-who was powerful. When he met my mother, he asked her to join with him. So she did, and involved her whole family in it also. They were married several years later, and then had me. My father promised the dark lord that I would become a Death Eater as soon as I was old enough, and as soon as I was, he branded me with this mark..."

I gasped, and touched his pale face. "It was painful, getting this mark burned into your flesh. But not quite as painful as to when you are summoned by the dark lord himself at the meetings. The mark on your arm burns with an intensity of a million fires! Sometimes I cannot bear the pain, and I go into convulsions."

"Draco, I'm so sorry," I said softly, holding his hand as he led me back to where we were once sitting.

"Several members of my family have been locked away in wizard prison, Azkaban. Auntie Bellatrix for tormenting the Longbottoms, along with Uncle Rudolphus. Now do you see why I couldn't tell you? I didn't want you to think I was like them! I'm not a murderer, nor would I ever want to be..."

"But you can always turn back to the side of good," I said reassuringly. "There must be a way to get that awful mark off your arm..."

"No, there is no other way," said Draco sadly. "Once it is burned into your flesh, it becomes permanent. If I betray him, he will find me and kill me..."

"No," I whispered, holding him close. "I won't let that happen!"

"Do you think you would last seven seconds with the dark lord?" said Draco coldly. "He has power beyond all magic. You couldn't possibly stop him; he would kill you to get to me! And I wouldn't want to die knowing I cause your death."

"Oh, Draco, you were right when you told me that you led a troubled life!" I said, stroking his hair.

"I never said that," said Draco, looking at me all confused. "Who told you this?"