My Fairytale

1/1

I stared at the four foot mirror in front of me and gazed at the girl in it. She wore a magnificent white dress that draped over her body just perfectly, shaping the right aspects of her petit body. It didn't have any straps but started right above her breast, shaping her until it got down to her lower waist, where it draped and flowed out. It brought back memories. First of my mother since this was the same dress she wore at her own wedding.

I remembered the woman's grey eyes that would always stare at me with the most loving gaze. But sadly my last memories of her were from the hospital bed where the deadly cancer slowly stole her life. Those grey eyes got duller and duller each day. But that brightening smile she always had for me during my visits never dulled at all during her hospital stay. But as I thought about my mother I also thought about how this dress was kept in the attic for what seemed an eternity until I was proposed to and dug it out.

My first memory of seeing this dress always brought such a smile to my face.

"Catch me if you can!" a six year old girl said as she ran down the hall of her house trying to escape the grasp of her best friend, Zachary James Baker.

"Come bwack Andwea!" The seven year old boy yelled with his kiddy speech.

She turned a corner and ran down the hallway but was met by a dead end. She could hear the patter of the boy's feet from the other hallway and looked around for a place to hide in. She looked to her right and saw the door that led to the attic. She quickly opened it and ran up that stairs ignoring the yells from her the boy. The whole time she had a huge smile on her face. She couldn't think of any other way to spend a Sunday afternoon then playing with Zacky.

As she reached the top she looked around the attic for a place to hide. On the other side of the room she saw a big chest. She quickly ran up to it and tried to open it. After a few attempts she finally succeeded. She climbed in without much as glancing what was even inside. She quickly closed the lid. As she sat there in the huge chest she clutched the fabric that she felt to underneath her as she tried to stop a giggle from escaping her lips.

She heard the boys footsteps and then his call.

"Andwea, where awe you?" He said.

She silently giggled but as she breathed in she inhaled a dust fragment that was now severely irritating her noise and almost causing her to sneeze. She tried her best to maintain the sneeze because she knew that little outburst could ruin her best hiding spot ever. Unfortunately the sneeze came out.

Zacky smiled and looked over to the chest. He quickly ran to it.

"I found you!" He exclaimed in excitement as he opened the chest and revealed his best friend.

She looked up at him with a pout. "Aw, I thought I'd win for sure."

The older boy smiled triumphantly at her as he help her get out of the box. Once she was out she dusted herself off and look back over at Zacky.

"What's this?" He asked as pulled out a shiny white fabric.

"I think it's a dwess," Andrea said. "a wedding dwess."

"A wedding dwess?"

"Yeah, that thing the bride wears on her wedding."

"Oh, okay." Zacky said as he scratched the back of his neck. "So what's a wedding for anyways?"

"Mommy says it's what two people do when they want to be together for the west of their lives."

"Weally?"

"Yea," Andrea said nodding enthusiastically.

Andrea looked at the dress for a minute and then an incredible idea struck her. She grabbed hold of Zacky's hand with immense excitement.

"We should get married!" She squealed. "That way we can be fwiends forever."

"Okay," Zacky agreed. "how do we get married?"

"Well I usually see the bwide and gwoom kiss at the end."

"So we have to kiss?" Zacky said sticking his tongue out to show his slight discomfort with it. "Kinda gwoss."

"But we have to if we want to be married. Don't you want to be friends forever?"

He nodded instantly but a slight shade of pink played out on his cheeks. Andrea didn't think much of it and instead began looking around for a white sheet. She walked towards the chest and began rummaging through it. Almost falling in a few times.

"Ah hah!" she exclaimed as she pulled out a veil.

"What that?" Zacky said tilting his head to the side.

"I dun know. But bwides wear it all the time." She said as she placed it on her head. "Okay now we can have the wedding."

"Dum dum da-dum." Andrea hummed as she walked slowly over to Zacky.

"What are you doing now?" the boy asked.

"Singing the wedding song." She said in a 'duh' tone.

"Oh okay."

She continued on with the bride song until she got right beside Zacky.

"So now what?" Zacky asked.

"We kiss."

Zacky nodded and hesitated throughout the whole act. They both leaned in until both of their small lips touched.


My finger tips hovered over my lips as a small giggled erupted from me. It wasn't long until I felt a pair of arms around my waist. I looked in the mirror and smiled as I saw my best friend and maid of honor…err, man of honor.

"What are you giggling about?" He asked placed his head on my shoulder. "well, never mind. I guess you have every right today to be all giggly. It is your day."

I could sense a bit of distraught as he spoke his words. I couldn't figure out why. These past few months he's been so distant. I've asked him about it so many times but it never made a difference. He always said nothing was wrong so I just gave up trying to understand.

I turned around to face him and embraced him in my arms.

"Thank you, Zacky." I whispered. "Thank you so much for everything."

We pulled apart and he smiled at me with the biggest grin I've seen on him for a while. He still had a hold of either sides of my shoulder and he gave them an assuring squeeze before letting me go. He took a step back and looked at me up and down with a very approving smile. He did a little motion with his hand telling me to twirl which caused me to laugh but I did so anyways.

"Jack is a very lucky man." He said. "You look beautiful."

"Really?" My small sense of insecurity rose as I said it. I quickly turned around to look at my self once again in the mirror. I began smoothing out a few wrinkles from the dress, meanwhile my best friend was laughing.

"Yes, Andrea. You look amazing. Every bride would envy you right now."

I sighed still not convinced, lately I've had a horrible case of cold feet. I kept feeling like I could faint at any moment. If it wasn't for Zacky's reassuring words I probably would have. I don't know what I'd do without him.

I pursed my lips before I sat down on chair that was placed right against the side of the room. My stomach was on butterfly overload about the whole thing that it was starting to get gassy. I really needed to settle myself and calm down. Once I sat down I looked up at Zacky and noticed the grim expression on his face. I frowned a bit before I asked him what was wrong.

"Nothing," He said shaking his head and giving me a smile to demonstrate. I knew him well enough to know it was fake but I decided not to say anything else. We've had this conversation so many times I was getting tired of it.

"So," He began. "what were you giggling about earlier?"

I smiled so much that he gave me a questioning look. "I was thinking about my first wedding."

"What?"

I giggled. "Remember? That day in the attic."

"Heh, oh yea. Man were we dumb." He said shaking his head.

"But it worked didn't it? We stayed friends for so long, I mean."

"I guess so…"

Then we were silent and my anxiety began to grow. My leg was shaking nonstop and my heart was beginning to pound against my ribcage. My breathing was labored and I was sweating.

"Zacky I'm freaking out," I said as I placed my hands on my face.

He quickly rushed over and kneeled in front me, placing two hands on my knees.

"Andy its okay," He whispered. "you're gonna go on with this wedding and then you're gonna live a long and happy life with the man you love."

"Then why do I feel like this? I should be excited! Not anxious." I squeaked out.

"It's just cold feet. You'll get over it."

"I'm starting to think that maybe I made the wrong choice…" I mumbled as I removed my hands away from my face. I slowly averted my eyes towards my laps where I placed my hands. I shouldn't have said that. I don't know why I said it.

"Andy." Zacky whispered.

I looked up at him and he had a very serious face on. It almost scared me.

"I need to tell you something."

"What is it, Zacky?" I asked.

"I love you."

I raised an eyebrow. "I love you too Za-"

"No," He said shaking his head violently. "That's not what I mean. I'm in love with you, Andrea."

I quickly sucked in the air in front of me and froze. I didn't know what I was suppose to say or do. My best friend in love with me? How could this be? When did this happen? And how come I didn't know before?

"H-how?" I managed to say.

"Hm?"

"How long?"

"As long as I can remember," he said sincerely as he clasp one of my hands with both of his. "I know I shouldn't be saying this, especially now, but I couldn't hold it in any longer. I'm sorry."

And in that instant I leaned in and kissed him. He didn't pull away, instead he deepened it. It wasn't long before we were both entangled by each other. Lips locked and fingers raked through hair. It felt so right but soon my better conscience got a hold of me and I quickly pulled away.

I had a horrified look on my face but the more I looked at Zacky, the more my face softened. And soon my mind was made up.

"Let's get out of here." I declared.

"What?"

"Let's go to Vegas or something and just run away."

"Are you serious? But what about Jack?"

"I love you too, Zacky." I said earnestly.

And then he smiled and in that smile I knew everything would turn out alright.

"Alright, let's go to Vegas."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope it turned out alright :]