Simple Pleasures

Hope

Me getting him this kitten for his birthday is a last ditch effort to get some sort of reaction out of him. A smile, a giggle, him petting the kitten. It would make me absolutely over the moon.

The doctors have said that it could be good to give him another form of company. A type of therapy that could help with his motor skills.

“I got you a present,” I said as I carefully took the tiny black and orange kitten out of the box. “I hope you like her.” I smiled as I placed the mewling kitten on his lap and waited.

First of all he slowly looked down at it, watching it as it ‘crawled’ around on his lap, licked its paws every so often and sniffed at his pants.

It got very close to the edge of his lap and I was about to reach out to catch it before it fell off, but the movement of Bob’s hand stopped me. Usually they just stay at his sides, but now they were slowly moving to gently nudge the kitten back into a better position.

I couldn’t control the tears welling up in my eyes at that point. This is such a huge thing. I haven’t seen him move like this in months!

We both watched it crawl around his lap for a bit more, but then it sounded like he was trying to talk and my eyes went wide.

“K…ki…k…” he mumbled as he stuttered over the word.

“What are you trying to say baby?” I asked and stroked at the hair on his neck. “Cold?” He tilted his head to the left. “Kitchen?” again his head tilted to the left.

“K…kit…kitty.” he finally got out and I know I practically squealed with happiness.

“Kitty?” and then he sorta half nodded and tilted his head to the right. “Good job baby!” I cried and resisted the urge to strangle him with a hug.

He then made a noise in his throat that sounded like a huffed giggle and one corner of his mouth turned up a little bit.

“You like her?” I giggled as the kitten started going to sleep.

“Mmmmm.” he hummed and I kissed his cheek.

Shit. I gotta call Frankie!

“Frankie! Oh my god, guess what!” I practically screamed once I had dialled his number and he picked up.

“What, what, what?” he groaned and it sounded like he had just woken up.

“He’s talking. Bob talked!” I squealed and Bob made another giggle type noise from beside me.

“What?! Really?” he said and suddenly sounded a lot more awake.

“Yes really!”

“Don’t move. I’m coming over.” he said and the line went dead.

***

"Not that I don‘t trust you, but I wanna see this before I believe it." he greeted as I met him at the front door.

"Bobby. Look who's here." I said and walked with Frankie to the living room.

It took him a while to respond, but eventually he turned his head to face us and very slowly his mouth turned upwards and he smiled at us.

I couldn't wipe the grin off my face and chanced a look at Frankie and he was grinning like Cheshire cat and had tears running down his face.

"Hiya Buddy." he choked out and walked towards the couch.

Bob just stared at him and started making happy noises in the back of his throat.

"F-F…Fra," he began stuttering and poor Frankie almost passed out on the spot.

"Keep going baby. Say Frankie." I coaxed as we went and sat on both sides of him.

"Fr…Fran….Frankie!" he blurted out happily.

"Fuck me! Oh Bobby, you don't know how good it is to hear you say that!" he cried and hugged him carefully.

Bob huffed out another giggle type sound and then slowly turned his attention to his lap where his kitten was still sleeping.

"Whatchu lookin' at?" he mumbled and wiped at his face. "Did Erin get you a kitten?"

He titled his head to the right at that stage and slowly brought his left hand up to 'pet' the sleeping kitten.

"Do you like her?" Frankie asked him. He had been 'in' on the whole idea.

"Mmmmrpgh." he grunted and sort of half nodded.