Status: Hiatus due to school overload. The storyline is known, I've just gotta find the time to write :)

Hello, Good Friend

01

"Hey, that's my bag! Can somebody grab my bag, please?" I struggled through the crowd at the baggage claim, trying to chase down my bag that was still on the rotating belt. The closer I got to the damn thing, the more the crowd seemed to grow. I narrowed my eyes at all the seemingly ignorant people when I saw someone grab my bag off the belt. Breathing a sigh of relief, I forced my way out of the crowd and over to the young man who was now holding out the large duffel for me to take.

"I believe this is yours," he said to me, while adjusting his backpack that was resting off his right shoulder. I noticed a skateboard deck attached to the front of it. I nodded and smiled, taking the blue bag off of his hands.

"Thanks," I sighed with relief, throwing the large bag over my shoulder, offering a final smile, and making my way outside to the line of waiting cars. I looked for my mom's car, a black Range Rover, and saw no such car. Figuring she was running late, I placed my duffel bag down and sat on top of it. Seconds later, I heard obnoxious honking and someone yelling my name.

Standing up and taking a look around, I see a red-headed woman waving crazily at me through the passenger window of a BMW Convertible. Upon closer inspection, I realized that that woman was my mom. What in Pablo's name did she do to her hair? And where's the Rover? I'm supposed to be taking that car to college! Pushing these thoughts aside, I quickly walked over to the car, placed my bag in the trunk, and slid into the passenger seat. I was not dressed for California summer weather.

"Oh, honey! Look how much you've grown! And your hair is gorgeous, you've gotten taller, your skin's very fair now. Oh dear, four years is much too long for me to have gone without my daughter. Tell me, how was the flight?"

"It was fine, mother," I said, trying to hide the displeasure in my voice. I was so excited to return to the place I knew so well, yet already, everything seemed different. I slid off my Ugg boots and cardigan and adjusted the AC vents so they were directed straight at me. I tucked some loose strands of hair behind my ear and began to relax in the car.

"Well, that's good. Did you eat? You want to stop by the diner?"

My eyes popped open, that sounds good... I nodded. Half an hour later, we pulled into a driveway that belonged to a very familiar building. I hopped out of the car and walked inside, noticing on my way in that the sun was already beginning to set. Smiling, I noticed that not even the diner's furnishings have changed in the four years I have been gone. My mom followed soon after and we took two swiveling seats at the counter.

"Louise, is this who I think it is?" I heard Meredith, the owner of the diner, say as she placed two menus in front of us.

"It sure is," I heard my mom say, flashing a pearly white smile at the middle-aged woman.

"Hi, Meredith," I said, slightly blushing at the approving look on her face. Before I moved, I used to come to the diner after school on some days and help out by busting tables or whatever. In exchange, I'd get a free milkshake. Those things are to die for at this place...

"Well look at you, you're gorgeous! Oh my, you'll be driving the boys in this small beach town crazy with that hair," Meredith rambled on, urging me to stand up as she came around the counter so she could see me better. "You've grown into your body so well, you don't look awkward at all like my niece. Oh, you're just wonderful. You have just got to come by one of these days so we can catch up like old times. But for now, what can I get you ladies?"

I smiled at the fact that Meredith hadn't changed a bit, sat down, and ordered what I usually had. My mom ordered her usual too, but she also had a hidden agenda.

"Say, Meredith... would you consider hiring Chloe here for a seasonal job? She needs to earn some money for college," my mom asked, throwing a wink in my direction once she saw the incredulous expression on my face. A job? The one summer I get to hang out with my mother after four years, she wants me to get a job?!

"Of course! You didn't even have to ask," Meredith said, her brown hair getting in her eyes. "Now, let me go put these orders in."

"A job?" I asked, wondering who in the hell this woman was sitting beside me.

"Your father and I are paying for your tuition and your dorm room, but we are not paying for your food costs. You know this, young lady. In fact, this job was your father's idea."

I rolled my eyes and sighed. Everything I do had to be approved by father dearest, didn't it? We sat in silence for about ten minutes, at which time our food came out. I devoured the salad and fries in record time and sat rather impatiently waiting for my mom to finish. As soon as the check was paid and my job schedule was set in stone, I burst out of the door. All I wanted was to get home and sleep in my old bed. Tomorrow would be a better day... right?
♠ ♠ ♠
first chapter.
comment :)

By the way, this is her outfit: Airport Outfit