Trembling With the Strings

The Death Penalty

Darius’ P.O.V.
I was going to kill this woman, I swear to God. My fists were already clenched as she pointed her finger at me, accusing me of more sins than I had ever committed in my entire life! I do believe raping her daughter was high up on the list, actually being after the stopping of Marc’s heart.

Humans are such hypocrites.

“And you have the nerve to call me a bad mother?” she was saying—well, more like screaming in my face!—as she glowered at me as though she were Death herself. “My poor boy is now up there suffering! And God knows where you’ve locked up my Gracie. I would be fine with her being a mother if you hadn’t been the one to knock her up, you demonic bastard!”

I opened my mouth to speak, but she shot me another infamous glare. I had to hold back both seething rage and uncontrollable laughter. I didn’t know whether to find it hilarious that she had a death wish or to find it royally annoying that she wouldn’t just shut her mouth already. Honestly, she’d been at this for half an hour. To make it worse, she had only the same few arguments, so it was like a broken record. I tapped my fingers on the arm of the couch as she refused to give me a chance to redeem myself.

“And you think that just because you have money you can steal my family from me? You, sir, are a monster! You killed my husband and damned my sons! How long until little Marty is leeching off some innocent young girl?” she spat, trying to make me feel bad. It wasn’t working. I didn't leech off of Gracie. Actually, I bet she kind of liked it.

“Someone doesn’t want on the wedding list,” I mumbled dryly to myself, holding back laughter as she stumbled for words.

“I’m her mother! I am going to my daughter’s wedding even if I hate you with all of my being!”

“What would that be? Ninety-percent liquor?” I taunted, rolling my eyes and standing up. I was done taking this from a menopausal old hag. “Are you quite done insulting me in my own home? I have half a mind to throw you to the leeches waiting outside for a meal. But I am civil. I don’t want to waste my time screaming at you; we both know that I have a life—unlike your husband.”

Okay, that had actually slipped. I hadn’t meant to say it, but I didn’t regret it—especially not after her face went pale. It had been as effective as shoving a couple of socks down her throat. The silence was absolutely golden, I must tell you.

“Good morning,” Gracie groaned, nearly stumbling down the stairs as she rubbed her eyes after waking up from her nap.

Finally! I strode up to her side, taking her in my arms for a passionate make out session all for her mother’s viewing pleasure. I speak with sarcasm, of course, because she had started ranting and raving all over again. She even pulled out the “I have no daughter!” card. I would say it was getting old, but it had gotten old around half an hour ago.

“Gracie, don’t you want to come back with mommy? We can be a happy family again,” Dianna insisted on saying, being a total bitch all over my brand new house.

I hissed at her, aware that I was holding Grace a little more roughly than previously. No, I wasn’t afraid that she would go: I was afraid I’d have to kill her for taking a single step in her mother’s general direction.

I hadn’t realized that I’d been growling at her until Gracie smacked my chest lightly, unwrapping herself from my arms and taking a step towards my mother. I was about to protest, but she cast me a pleading look. I sighed, pushing my bangs out of my face. This girl just got to be more trouble than she was worth sometimes.

“Listen, mother.” I nearly jumped at the venom in her voice. I must say it was a major turn on. “They are not your kids anymore—they are mine. They are Dray’s kids, too, and I will not have you insulting my fiancé in our home. You are welcome to leave at any time or, should you choose to stop with this bullshit, you are welcome to stay for some polite conversation. I will not have you degrading my family: I put up with that for sixteen years, and I am done with it. Are we clear?”

I watched in amazement as she got her insufferable mother to shut up—the one thing I had been trying to do ever since I had met her! I felt a grin creep onto my face, but I couldn’t stop. She was gaping like a big-mouth bass for Christ’s sake!

Gracie turned to me, smiling gently and striding back up to me with a new found elegance, one that could almost compare to a vampire’s grace. She kissed me gently, leaving me wanting more as she pulled back and grasped my hand tightly.

“What will it be?”

She hesitated. “When Johnny wakes up, tell him mommy tried to save him from this despicable hellhole!”

She turned on her heel and left just like that.

“When can you say that to your sister?” I whispered, still in complete shock. I didn’t think she had it in her to be such a bitch!

I mean that in the nicest way possible, trust me.

She hit me playfully on the chest, suddenly looking exhausted as she fell back onto the couch. “I just badmouthed my mother. Bite me now, Dray: I’m going to hell anyway.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't recall who asked, but when she said "I didn't make it a second longer" she meant she gave into the sleep tugging at her body. Oh, and I have to point this out, it just made my day:

"grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
you and your abnormal obsession with cliff hangers >.<

dont be frightened ... but may i kidnap you and make you tell me bed time stories for the rest of my life?! :D"