Trembling With the Strings

The Siblings' Agreement

I walked to school alone since Darius walked with Marcy and Marc walked with Demetrius (Johnny had stayed home due to the… circumstances). I tried to talk to Marcus once Marty had been dropped off at his building, but my brother had merely walked faster to get away from me after telling me that he wasn’t a baby who needed to hold someone’s hand his whole life. Marcy would glance back but say nothing to me.

I went to my locker alone, aware of all the eyes on me. I heard whispered but managed to ignore it as I focused on pulling out my needed books. Lyndell walked me to French III as if nothing had happened between us; as if we had always been the best of friends—nothing more, but nothing less.

“Why is he mad this time?” he sighed, taking my books out of my hands. I thanked him quietly.

“We had a fight.” Again, I added mentally. “He said I don’t trust him.”

“Do you?”

I only shrugged, ending any future attempts at innocent conversation. The awkward silence lingered in the air until I walked into the classroom. Bryce narrowed his eyes as I sat down and moved to the seat behind me. He tapped my shoulder.

“Why are you acting so chummy with Lyndell?” he demanded, silent rage smoldering behind his dark eyes.

“I walked with him to class,” I mumbled. “I’m sorry that I didn’t feel like walking alone while people share secrets about me.”

“Well, where’s Dray? Or Marcy?” His gaze held the smallest amount of concern.

“We’re spending some time apart and of course Marcy would side with her brother over me. It’s common sense really.”

He shrugged turning his attention to the teacher. I couldn’t focus, so I just answered the questions being muttered to me.

Why aren’t you with Darius Jameson?

We had a fight.

Did you two break up?

No.

Is the wedding still on?

Yes.

What about Darius Junior?”

Shut up. Do I look pregnant to you? That’s right; I didn’t think so.

I sighed as they finally left me alone. British Literature wasn’t any better, and I had to sit through Bryce’s lectures. He had apparently talked to her, and she had told him that she would remain silent (she wasn’t willing to break the bond she had with her twin brother).

I honestly did not want to face Darius right away, so I decided to loiter around my locker for a bit before third block.

The gossip had died down a little, but I had to watch my ex-best friend walk right past me without a second glance.

But then again I suppose they say “when one door closes another one opens.”

Or so I hope.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Sibling’s Agreement is a rip-off of the Gentleman’s Agreement! Haha, get it? A little history fact for you: the Gentleman’s Agreement was formed between Japan and the U.S. to limit the number of unskilled Japanese immigrants in America in the 1800s, I do believe! =D