Trembling With the Strings

The Magic Number

“Oh my God! Daddy, thank you so much!” Marcy squealed, face lighting up.

I stared incredulously as a palomino came trotting into her room. I darted out of bed and gawked at the horse: certainly those things don’t go in the house...do they?

“Happy birthday, love. Take him outside when you’re done ‘bonding’, okay?” her dad called, walking down the hall. Marcy was grinning like a madwoman.

“Isn’t London gorgeous?” she cooed, stroking his mane.

“He is,” I smiled. I was so jealous of her. I know it’s a sin to covet and all, but I just couldn’t help it. My family had to struggle to make ends meet and she got a stupid purebred horse for her birthday. Just how is that fair at all?

“Oh, I can’t wait to ride you when you’re just a tad older,” she murmured to him, kissing his nose softly. I swallowed my envy and decided to be thankful for what I had: I’d been taken away from my family. Oh, yes, that’s a blessing, isn’t it? “And then we’ll teach Gracie how to ride and we can all ride together.”

I immediately felt bad for my previous thoughts. She got what she had because she was a very thoughtful and nice girl. I smiled softly.

“Thanks, but I’m not a quick learner,” I joked. She giggled.

“Don’t worry. I’m sure we’ll have plenty of spare time when Darius is busy with other things. We’ll be like sisters,” she squealed, leaving London to throw her arms around me. “Come on; let’s take London out to the stables.”

“Wait, you already have a stable and you just got the horse?” I was more than confused. She grinned to herself and hummed a tune as we led London down the stairs and outback.

“Of course not, silly. I have more than one,” she giggled, patting London’s flank and rubbing it soothingly. “We have an Arabian named Jasper, an Appaloosa named Alexander, a Clydesdale named Phoebe, a Caspian named Lydia, a Przewalski’s Horse named Luna, a Pinto named Willow, and now we have London. He’s a purebred Palomino.” Her face lit up as she glanced over at her newest addition to her horse collection.

“Seven horses?” I gaped. “What do you need them for?”

“Oh, we all like going riding. Well, except Darius. He’s the oddball. But Mom rides Jasper, Dad rides Willow, Dante’s horses are Lydia and Phoebe, and Alexander and London are mine. You can ride Alexander if Darius will let you come with us sometime. The only horse he’s ridden is Phoebe and she didn’t like him too much, or at all for that matter!” Marcy giggled. “She couldn’t have kicked him any harder if she’d wanted to!”

“But who does Luna belong to?” I asked. She glanced at me, making a face.

“That stubborn thing will only let Dray touch her. I tried to pet her once, but she wouldn’t have me. I bet she’d let Darius, but he refuses to even try after the Phoebe incident. But he pets her and feeds her and walks her, but he just won’t ride her or anything. It’s ridiculous!” she ranted as she led London past the other six and into an empty stable. I saw Luna staring at me and I hesitantly reached out.

“Ow!” I cried, pulling my hand back. “The blaggard bit me!” I saw Marcy stifle a giggle.

“See? Only Darius.” She shook her head. “I don’t know what she sees in him to be quite honest. Oh well. London, I’ll see you later, honey. You, too, Alex.” She grabbed my hand and led me back out to the yard. There was the sound of engines and I glanced to the driveway where a red Mercedes and a silver Porsche had just parked. “Oh, Cynthia and Gwen are here!”

She dragged me over to the cars and stood with the most absurd grin on her face. A blonde stepped out of the Mercedes and a brunette stepped out of the Porsche. They smiled upon seeing Marcy, but the blonde gawked at me.

“So, Marcy, want to explain who this is?”

I felt so self-conscious. These girls were all so gorgeous and I felt so homely. They were skinny and looked good whereas I just looked like a starved orphan!

That decides it: life just isn’t fair at all.