Trembling With the Strings

Primal Instincts

What were you thinking?” Drakken’s voice boomed, sending chills down my spine as his scream echoed around me.

“Oh, God,” I murmured, sitting in the living room and rocking back and forth as I hugged my knees to my chest. “What’s he going to do to him?” I asked Marcy, looking up at her through teary eyes.

“I don’t know,” she sighed. “He fucked up really bad, Gracie.” I could only picture Darius shaking as he held Lyndell’s limp body in his hands, blood splattered all over the two of them. It was only thanks to Bryce that no one remembered the scene his cousin had caused. I thanked God that he had been given such a gift: one that could erase minds so quickly.

“He won’t kill him, will he?” I asked, wiping tears from my eyes with the back of my hand. The ring was cold against my face, but I smiled at the small reminder of Dray.

She smiled painfully, shaking her head as she leaned over and hugged Dante. “Dad wouldn’t do that. Losing Mom is enough. But I can’t guarantee that Darius won’t come out crying and wishing he was dead.”

I groaned, burying my face in my legs. “This is my fault,” I told Marcy and Dante. “I told him not to hate Lyndell, so he asked when I talked to him. If I had just told him he wouldn’t have done that.”

“No, he still would have,” Dante mumbled so softly I could hardly hear him. I glanced up through bloodshot eyes. “His head is so thick. All that matters to him is you, and he saw Lyndell as a threat. He’s like an animal, you know? He’s convinced himself that he needs to protect his mate and provide for her. His instincts took over, and he didn’t see Lyndell as an old friend: he saw him as a bastard trying to steal you from him. I have no doubt in my mind that he’d do it again.”

“He’s not that territorial,” I told him, not believing him. “He’s just irrational.”

“He’s my brother, Gracie,” he reminded me, annoyance lacing into his voice. “He was so cold and uncaring before you came along, and I was beyond shocked at how much you changed him. All of a sudden, Darius was going out of his way just to keep you happy. Are you really that blind? He hates kids, but he’s not making you kill it. The Dray I grew up knowing would have slipped a knife into your stomach the second you told him you were pregnant. He’s trying to find a balance between not caring and caring way too much, but he’s having some trouble finding the line.”

I shook my head, standing up and pushing away tears. “I can’t do this. I can’t just sit here while Darius gets screamed at for protecting me.” I took in a deep breath and forced my legs to carry me to his father’s study. I pushed the door open.

“Gracie,” Darius breathed, getting up from his chair in one graceful movement and pulling me into his arms. “Are you okay?” he asked, kissing my face feverishly. His cheeks were covered with tears and they were flushed from crying so much. He was shaking visibly and his hands were trembling as he held me, and he was standing there asking if I was okay?

“I love you,” I settled on, kissing his trembling eyelids as he held me as close as he could.

“I love you so much, baby. Please tell me you’re alright,” he begged, helping me over to the chair. He sat down, pulling me onto his lap. I nodded.

“I’m fine, but what about you?”

“We’re not done, Gracie,” Drakken told me, his voice firm. “My son should know restraint by now, but he continues to make stupid mistakes. Hugs and kisses will not help him in the long run.”

“He didn’t mean to,” I told him, my voice squeaking. “He was trying to protect me.”

“I don’t care if he was trying for world peace! He risked all of our skins! If Bryce had not been there we would have been exposed. Do you think this is a laughing matter?” I shook my head, aware of the boy trembling beneath me. He was so vulnerable sometimes, and it just blew my mind.

I tried to argue, but Darius beat me to the punch line. “I know, Dad. I’m sorry.”

“Sometimes sorry doesn’t cut it.”

“I know. I just…I thought he was going to—I don’t know. I don’t know!” Darius pulled his hands back to himself as he tried to regain his composure. “I just freaked out! I can’t help it, okay? I know I’m a failure. I know I’m a disgrace. What do you want from me?”

“I want you to get your act together,” he snarled, leaning back in his chair. “You’re going to be a husband and a father soon. You need to get yourself under control before you rip off someone’s head for even glancing at Gracie or your son. Lyndell will heal, but a simple human doesn’t stand a chance against you. You have to see that.”

“I know… Please, Dad, I really screwed up. Again. I’m probably going to do it another time, too. But you don’t understand where I’m coming from. You don’t feel things the way I do. No one does, and I don’t expect you to understand. I just… If I can’t protect her then what good am I doing? If I can’t keep her safe and out of harm’s way why should I deserve to have her?”

“You exposed us to hundreds of kids all in the name of proving yourself to yourself?”

“No,” he shook his head. “I wanted to prove myself to Gracie.”