Trembling With the Strings

I'm A Delicacy In Some States!

I groaned, my hand reaching up to hold my head as a headache pounded into my skull. I shivered, pulling the sheets up more. The events came rushing back to me in a wave, and nausea struck. I pulled myself out of the bed and rushed into the nearby bathroom, hating the horrible stinging in my throat as I kneeled over the toilet.

“You just love making Mommy miserable, huh?” I grumbled, standing up and straightening my white gown.

Wait one second! I had not been wearing that earlier. I glanced down at my new outfit. The simple garment was certainly not mine. I walked over to the door, opening it and stepping into the big, empty hall.

I shivered as the cold air rushed at my flushed skin. I ignored the chills and pressed forward, trying to find my little brother rather than investigate my surroundings. All that mattered was that Marty was alright, and then we would go home before Darius had time to realize we were gone and start a mob.

I creaked open every door in the hallway, only to find that Demetrius was not in any of them. My heart was starting to pound as my worry grew. My brother was not known for his quietness, and the fact that he was not beside me didn’t help my anxiety. I didn’t know where I was, but hopefully Marty was in the same building. And hopefully we weren’t with Bryce again. I didn’t think he would be stupid enough to try the ransom card twice, but I had no compliments for him to begin with.

“Marty?” I called softly as I carefully descended the wooden stairs.

“Oh, you’re awake.”

I jumped and reached for my heart before it could jump out of my chest. I turned around to see Lady standing in front of me, a smile on her lips. I forced a nervous smile.

“You startled me,” I told her, evening out my breaths. “Have you seen Demetrius? I need to find him. And my clothes… Where did they go? My phone was in my pocket, and Darius might be worrying about me. I need to tell him I’m alright.”

“Gracie, your son is fine. He’s playing with Tommy out back. And your clothes were filthy, so I put them in the washer. I didn’t see a phone, however.”

I bit back protests. “Okay. Well, why did you attack me earlier at the park?”

She looked confused. “Attack? I did not attack you, Gracie. You just collapsed suddenly. I think it might be because of the baby. You just fell to the ground, so I brought you here.”

“Oh,” I mumbled, looking down at my feet. I could have sworn she had lunged at me… “Thank you for taking care of me, then. But I’m feeling much better now, so I’ll just go get my son and we’ll be out of your hair.”

I offered a polite smile, a sick feeling in my stomach as I walked towards the back door. She caught my wrist as soon as my hand fell on the door handle. I glanced over to her, a nervous look on my face. I did not trust her at all, and she could surely see that.

“Leaving so soon?” she asked me, smiling innocently nonetheless. “You’ve only just arrived. Tommy and Demetrius are the best of friends. Who are we to cut their time short? They are innocent children.”

“Marty has his brothers at home.”

“Tommy is an only child. He gets lonely.”

“That’s not what this is about, is it?” I asked her, dropping my arm to my side. She released my hand.

”No, I suppose it is not.”

“Then what is it?” I asked Lady, holding my stomach. I wasn’t the only one that didn’t feel so safe, and Dray’s baby was voicing his disapproval, too.

“This is about you, Gracie,” she told me, her eyes full of dangerous joy. “You’re not going anywhere.”

“And why is that?” I asked her, forcing my legs to stay still as my brain screamed at me to move. She would catch me, I knew. Lady was just too sneaky to try to surprise.

“Do you know how rare it is to find a human woman carrying a demonic baby? That is the way it’s supposed to be. But her blood is so enriched, yet so refined. It is a delicacy to bloodsuckers, and so enticing to everyone she sees. No one can resist being near her.

“I felt that way in the park. I could sense the vampire blood in your system, but it was obvious that you were a plain little girl. Your fiancé just couldn’t keep it in his pants long enough for him to bite you. He caused this, Gracie.”

“What are you talking about?” I whispered, glancing over to see Marty chasing Tommy around the backyard. He stopped to smile and wave at me, but I couldn’t smile back. I turned back to Lady.

“We’ve waited so long to find a young woman carrying a vampire’s child. It’s simply too good an offer to pass up,” she told me, a grin creeping onto her features. “Your sacrifice will not go unnoticed, and we will take good care of Demetrius. He may lose his mother, but, then again, Tommy also lost his.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Le gasp! Oh, the ideas are flowing now! I'm so giddy, you have no idea :D Hope you enjoyed the update!