Trembling With the Strings

Snake Woman

“Oh, this is Gracie, Cynthia. She’s Darius’ birthday present. I was just showing her the horses and Luna nipped at her, as always,” Marcy giggled. I laughed lightly.

“Yeah,” I admitted, holding up my finger as blood trickled down it. “She drew blood.” I smiled, laughing at myself, but Marcy and her friends were staring blankly at me as a drop of blood ran down my finger. “What?” Marcy looked at her feet quickly.

“Gracie, pardon us of your blood!” she hissed to the grass. I wiped it swiftly on my pants, staring at the brunette, Gwen. She was trembling violently. “Cynthia, take her to my car. We’ll leave in a few.”

Cynthia snapped out of her stupor and grabbed her friend’s arm.

“Come on,” she mumbled, not once looking at me.

“That scent…” Gwen inhaled deeply, staring dead at me. “It smells so heavenly; so pure. Cynthia, can you imagine how it must taste?”

“Stop that!” she hissed, glaring at her. “Just get in the car.” Gwen ripped herself from her friend, shaking her head.

“I haven’t had any in too long. I’m wretched.”

As soon as the words left her lips, she sprung at me, knocking me to the ground. I cringed as I hit the grass.

“What are you doing?” I demanded, squirming underneath her.

“I’m sure you’re a great person and all, but I can’t help it,” she hissed in my face, this demented look in her eyes. It almost seemed as though she was bearing fangs!

“Gwen!” Marcy screamed, standing where she was. It seemed as though she couldn’t make herself come any closer to me. But why? With apprehension in my eyes, I sent a fleeting look back to Gwen who was staring intensely at me, her eyes mere slits.

“Sorry,” she whispered quietly in my face, shaking her head anxiously. For a second her eyes cleared, but my heart sank with that fanatical look came back. She bared her teeth at me and her hands slammed down on my shoulders as I tried to get free again. “Sit still!” she hissed. Suddenly her lips were on my neck and I felt something puncture it.

“What are you doing?” I cried out, trying to shove her off. “Stop!” I cried out as the pain got more excruciating. Was she biting me?

All of a sudden I heard Gwen shriek in pain as she was torn off of me. I was crying on the ground as I curled into a tight ball. As far as a beating went, that had been worst one I’d ever gotten. I trembled a great deal as I held myself together.

“Gracie, are you okay?” a voice whispered in my ear. A hand came down sympathetically on my shoulder. I relaxed slightly…until I looked up and saw Darius kneeling beside me.

“No,” I admitted in a murmur. “Far from it.” He smiled remorsefully as he helped me up. I saw Dante pinning Gwen to a car and screaming at her.

“What did she do?” I asked Darius, carefully sitting up beside him. Darius gave me a pained smile.

“You wouldn’t believe me,” he warned. I glanced over at him, confused.

“And why wouldn’t I?”

“Because it entails her being a vampire, just like me,” he whispered in my ear, sending chills up my spine.

“You’re right: I don’t believe you.” I rolled my eyes.

“I’ll change that with no trouble,” he grinned sadistically.

Honestly, how slow did this guy think I was?