Trembling With the Strings

Aches and Pains

“I thought you said that it’s been a long time since you found a human mother,” I told her, nearly choking on the breaths I was taking in so quickly.

“Tommy is over fifty years old, dear,” Lady told me, smiling. “You don’t know much, do you? That vampire child is surely telling you to run away, but do you know why?” I shook my head. “He has no reason to be afraid, for he will be fine. You, on the other hand, will not be so happy.”

“What exactly is ‘my sacrifice,’ Lady?”

“Everything,” she breathed, reaching out and brushing the back of her hand across my cheek. I grimaced and pulled away, glaring at her as the long-since healed cut throbbed once more. “Yvette was never so fond of you, was she?”

“No,” I muttered, keeping my eyes on her at all times. “Why? How do you know?”

“She’s with us, girl. Do you know what we are?”

“Other than a group of freaks?” I hissed, stepping back. She followed, lashing out and catching my wrist.

“Your blood is so potent. A vampire would kill for that blood. It would drive him to bloodlust. Do you know what a skilled witch could do with that blood?” She cackled, and it was not a pleasant sound. “And your son will have blood almost as rich. It’s a shame that the girl was lost, but it’s better than nothing. Your death will not be in vain.”

“You honestly think I’m going to give you my life? I would never leave my sons in your hands, you bitch,” I hissed, smacking her hand and jerking the door open. “Marty, we’re leaving!” I grabbed his wrist roughly.

“Where are you taking him?” Tommy asked me, looking up at me through coal-black, beady eyes. I smiled nervously, but then I saw Lady open the door.

“We’re going home. You can keep in touch, okay? Marty, come on.”

“Why, Gracie? I want to play some more,” he told me innocently. I shook my head.

“Darius called. He wants to spend the day with you.” His eyes lit up, and I felt a pang of guilt for having lied to him. I gave him a firm push.

“You’re not taking him!” Tommy cried, lunging onto my back. I screamed as he latched onto my neck.

“Get off of me!” I screeched, jerking him off of me and pushing Marty. “Go! Go home!”

“But, Gracie—”

“Just go! Now!” I hissed, glaring at him. Tears welled up in his eyes.

“Are you mad at me?”

“Yes!” I screamed, trying not to cry. “I can’t look at you! You’re the worst thing that ever happened to me, so go back to Darius! I—I don’t love you anymore!”

The heartbreak was apparent in his eyes, but all that mattered was that he was okay. He started crying, but he turned around and ran away. I bit my tongue as Lady landed on me, pushing my face into the dirt. His footsteps became less audible until they were gone, and I started crying.

“You little bitch! It won’t be painless for you, I promise,” she hissed in my ear, a grin creeping onto her face.

“I’ll see you in Hell!” I barked, pushing her off of me and standing up.

“Fine,” she spat. “But you’ll be there long before I.”

“We’ll see about that,” I challenged, fighting the heartache.

“I never lose,” she warned me, grabbing my hair and jerking me back towards the house. “Tommy, want to help Mommy get this little wench ready to die?”

“Yes,” he spat at me, and I could feel his glower.

I prayed that Demetrius had made it home, and I prayed that he would forgive me and know that I loved him. But any good mother knows that her child’s life is more important than her own. I only hoped that Darius would forgive me for making our little boy cry.