Trembling With the Strings

Mother Dearest

I looked up at the cult members once more, biting my lip as they stared in shock. The blade flew across the room, shooting right through a woman’s chest and pinning her to the wall. My hands shook as everyone screamed in horror. What was happening?

I screamed as the glass behind me shattered, sending shards shooting right past me and at the people so determined to kill me. I couldn’t look as ten of them were cut to pieces, the remnants of their bodies falling to the floor and blood splattering everywhere.

“You’re a monster!” Yvette screeched, lunging at me.

But she was suddenly shoved against the wall by a scarlet energy. I wasn't sure what it was, but her face turned blue, and I stood dumb and in shock as she cried for breaths. I screamed out, falling to my knees and clutching my stomach. Upon looking down at my arms, I saw that they were covered in glowing red markings. My lip trembled as I tried to stop shaking, but everyone around me was dying!

Lady released a bloodcurdling scream as a tree crashed through the wall, landing on her skull and cracking it beyond recognition. Another man was flattened by the collapsing ceiling. The floor began to shake, and I cried as I begged for it to stop.

Why do you hate me, Mommy?

“What are you doing?” I sobbed, horrified. “Do you know what you’ve done?”

I saved you; I saved us. But it was not all me. Daddy helped. Mommy, get out of here. Run. Before the building collapses. Daddy is very mad. I’m very mad.

“What do you mean? What did Darius do?” I cried out, choking on air. The earth was trembling, and I could not make my legs move.

I will not die.

“Gracie!” a familiar voice cried out. I looked up to see Lyndell lumbering towards me, holding his arm and ducking out of the way as debris crashed around him. “We have to go!”

“I’m scared!” I cried, holding my head to protect it. “I’m scared, Lyndell!”

“I am, too! Come on, Gracie! Just fucking move!” He grabbed my arm, nearly pulling it out of the socket.

Get out of here, Mommy. Or I promise I will not hold back.

I ripped my arm out of his grasp and just ran as fast as I could, fully aware that Lynn was right beside me. My legs gave out when I felt a huge tremor. I turned back just in time to see the entire house cave in on itself, and screams filled the air around us. I started bawling. I had just killed over thirty people within a few minutes!

“Gracie, it was you or them,” Lyndell tried to reason with me as I held my stomach.

I was going to be sick. I could smell the blood in the air. And my child wanted to go back there and take it for himself. No. I would not do that!

I’m thirsty, Mommy. You tried to murder me. I think you owe me that much.

“No!” I told him again. He was silent, and I looked up at Lyndell through watery eyes.

“What happened back there?”

“I don’t know… I just—I don’t know…” I inhaled a shaky breath, looking up at the dark night sky for a moment. “Why were you there?”

He smiled. “That doesn’t matter. I know where we can hide out until you get your bearings back.”

“I want to go home.”

“Gracie, I don’t think you’d make it.”

“But Darius—!”

“Grace!” he snapped, grabbing my arm. “I said you’re coming with me. I won’t be skinned for taking you to Darius when you look this bad.”

I stared at him, swallowing. I ripped my arm out of his ever-tightening grip. “Fine.”

He smiled boyishly, but I didn’t trust it. I couldn’t trust anyone.

I’m still thirsty, Mommy…