Trembling With the Strings

A Penny For Your Thoughts?

“Gracie’s home!” Johnny cried out, darting to my side. He looked up at me through such piercing eyes, but he looked as worried as ever. “Are you okay?”

“What kind of question is that?” Marcus asked him, darting to my other side. “We were scared, Gracie.”

I nodded gently, squatting down and embracing the two boys. I kissed Marc’s forehead and the top of Johnny’s head before releasing them and pulling myself into the living room. They followed me, sitting down on either side of me.

“Dianne’s a vampire now,” I told them softly, my voice giving out.

Marcus made a face. “So now she’s here forever?”

“I wouldn’t say that.”

I looked to Darius as he walked over to us. Marcus watched him carefully, and Johnny smiled nervously. I looked at my feet.

“Baby, please,” he murmured, kneeling down in front of me. “I’m really sorry. I wanted to come sooner, but I couldn’t find you! My father stopped me for a lecture. I thought you were dead! Why didn’t you call for me?”

“I did!” I hissed, my face twisting up in pure resentment. “I was thinking about you the entire time, but you ignored me! I almost died because of you, and I almost killed our son because of you!”

Darius looked shocked, but then he stood up. His lip twitched into a sneer. “This is news to me! Why the hell would you try to kill my son?”

I stood up to meet the challenge. “They were going to kill me! I was not about to let them raise my son! I’ve been through too much to give him up, and if I was going to die, then he was, too!”

Darius took in a shaky breath, but he didn’t sound scared. He looked pissed off. “We will talk about this after I kill your mother.”

I sneered after him as he stormed out of the house with Bryce at his heels. Marc glanced up at me.

“Gracie, what happened to you?” he whispered. “Marty is upstairs, probably still crying. I thought you and Darius were okay. You look…different.”

“Maybe I finally grew up!” I snapped at him, but my rage was gone within seconds. I threw my head back and stared at the ceiling. “I killed thirty people, Marcus.”

“I don’t believe that,” Johnny told me, standing up.

“I didn’t mean to. It wasn’t really me, but it’s all the same. Darius and his kid teamed up and killed them. I had to watch it, though. And as for Marty, I had to get him to leave. They would have taken him, too. I don’t care if he hates me forever, as long as he’s still alive.”

“I think you should talk to him,” Johnny murmured before walking up the stairs. I heard his bedroom door slam shut.

“Marcus,” I started, biting my lip. “I’m terrified of my child. He’s a demented little demon.”

What did I do? I’m not the one that tried to kill my “bundle of joy.”

“What do you mean? You haven’t even met him yet.”

“He can talk to me all he wants.” I took in a deep breath. “Never mind. I didn’t expect you to get it when I don’t even get it. You’re not going to be upset to know that Dianne just died, right?” He shook his head, and I nodded. I had to fight off the image of my mother’s head being tossed to the ground. Did Darius want me to suffer, so he had shown me what he had just done? “They’re almost home, and they’re probably going to smell like blood. Run upstairs, okay? I’ll talk to Demetrius later, I promise.”

He nodded and gave me a kiss on the cheek before hurrying up the stairs just as the door opened.

“Would you like to explain things to me now?” Darius snarled, stepping up to me. He was covered in blood, and I licked my lips absentmindedly.

I want it, Mommy. I. Want. It.

I watched through glazed eyes as he ranted on and on, not once pausing for a breath.

“And, furthermore, I don’t see what the fuck your problem is! I saved you from being killed, did I not? I was worrying myself sick over you, so you come home and scream at me? How is that fair? Honestly, I don’t understand where this attitude is coming from! I swear, if I—!”

I watched as he droned on some more, and I carefully got onto my feet. My child was screaming at me as I stepped up to Darius, only able to focus on the blood that was splattered all over him. He kept yelling at me even as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I kissed his cheek before licking the blood off. He finally stopped talking.

“Why, hello,” he murmured, his hands sliding to my hips. “What’s that all about?”

“Two things: he’s thirsty, and you wouldn’t shut up.”

“Oh.” He furrowed his brow. “Well, are you okay now?”

I sighed, pulling myself out of his arms “You just had to ruin it, huh?” I fell onto the couch, shaking my head. My son was screaming at me to get more, but I ignored him like any loving, sane mother would.

“Baby, I don’t understand what’s wrong. You’re safe, and you’re home.” He sat beside me, pulling me into his arms. “And I won’t ever let you out of my sight again. You can stay in my arms forever.”

“That’d be nice if I believed you,” I mumbled, looking up at him.

He kissed my lips feverishly. “Why would I lie to you?”

“I don’t know. Why did you lie to me about me being able to depend on you?”

“I-I didn’t,” he stuttered, his embrace tightening. “I never stopped looking for you, I swear. I just couldn’t hear your thoughts. It was like you had fallen off the face of the earth. I could hear our son, but he didn’t give me any straight answers.” He paused, looking at me softly. “Maybe we should get some rest.”

I nodded, wrapping my arms around his neck when he picked me up. He carried me up the steps and into our bedroom. I pulled him close, burying my face in his chest.

I wanted to forget everything, but I knew that just wasn’t possible.