Trembling With the Strings

Is That Magic Pixie Dust?

“Gracie! Wake up! Hurry, hurry, hurry it up!” Marcy shrieked, jumping up and down on the bed. I groaned and pulled the pillow over my face.

“Go away,” I grumbled. I never claimed to be a morning person and I never would.

“No, no, and no, Grace! We have to hurry up and get you ready. The party starts at two and it’s already ten! We only have four hours since you slept so late and I doubt I could even get all of my ideas done by midnight! Now get up, girly!” she cried, tugging on my arm as I groaned. Being a human doll just didn’t sound like fun to me at all!

“Oh, Marcy—What are you doing? Oh my God, it smells horrid!” I griped as she continuously sprayed junk all over me. I felt so disgusting, yet she kept laying it on even thicker!

“Oh, calm down! I’m making you look like a girl, so be happy!” she complained, pulling out even more powder and gloss.

“I feel like a Barbie doll!”

“You’ll look so much prettier than one when I’m through with you! Now put on your dress.”

Oh, that was the one thing I was looking forward to. I slipped it on and she smiled, but ran up to me with cover-up in hand.

“The bruises have to go,” she mumbled, dabbing them in skin-colored cream of some kind. I watched in wonder as the bruises vanished. It was obviously a magic gift from a great fairy! She laughed at my reaction. “I know, I know: makeup is truly amazing.”

“I’ll say!” I squealed, smiling as I looked in the mirror. I didn’t look too bad actually.

I had on really thick eyeliner and some eye shadow, but not too much. My hair was all curly and I couldn’t see a single blemish on my body. I turned to her, smiling.

“Thanks, I think. Even if this is all in honor of your yucky brother, I’m still happy.” I stuck my tongue out at her and she giggled.

“Alright. We need to go over procedure now.”

“Procedure?”

“That would be the term,” she giggled. “I’m going to lead you up to him and you are to sit on his lap, all right? And whatever he wants, don’t make a spectacle of it. What Darius wants is what he gets and if you present him with a challenge, he’ll only enjoy crushing you even more. Just let him do what he will. If he starts acting totally out of line, ignore it. And he is friends with Lyndell, so don’t let him know that you two had anything.”

“Uh, he kind of saw…” I murmured. Her eyebrow twitched in aggravation.

“Okay, well as of now you two are over. You are Darius’ and no one else’s or I know he’ll kill a single guy that so much as glimpses at you. He can be pretty possessive, but at least he’s protective, right?”

Who was she trying to convince?

“Alright, come on. The party’s started and we need to be there soon.” She grabbed my hand.

“And so begins the rest of my miserable life,” I mumbled dryly as she led me to yet another huge set of double doors. She giggled softly as she entwined our fingers.

“Alright, love. Time to get this party started.”

Says you! You’re not the one who has to put up with Darius the Dreadful for the rest of your life! Yeah, I’m pretty clever, I know.