Trembling With the Strings

Be Careful What You Wish For

I stared at my “wedding cake” with confusion, knowing that there was something definitely wrong with the picture. Rather than a large, elegant white cake (which would presumably tower before me), there was an even larger cake looming before me. The colored frosting read a simple “17” and the candles agreed with the number.

“A birthday cake?” I asked, raising an eyebrow at my grinning husband.

“Yes, now make a wish.”

I smiled, thinking thoughtfully before blowing out the candles. Darius grabbed my hand tightly and kissed me gently.

“So what’d you wish for?”

“It turns out… I didn’t need it.”

“God, I love you,” he murmured, embracing me from behind. I lingered in his arms, leaning against his chest. “And I’m going to apologize in advance.”

“For what? If this is about the whole ‘I’m going to bite you when we’re alone’ thing, it’s okay. I’ve accepted how creepy it sounds.”

He chuckled softly in my ear, his embrace tightening for a moment. “No, it’s not about that. It’s just that, well, my father is heading this way, and I haven’t really spoken to him since he made that comment about our marriage. I don’t know how this will work out.”

“Just let me know before you slap your father,” I muttered dryly, smiling up at Darius nonetheless.

He made a face, and I could tell that he was about to make a witty rebuttal, but he was interrupted by a tap on the shoulder. Dray released me from his hold and caught my waist quickly as he turned to face Drakken.

“Hello, Drakken. How is the reception?” he asked civilly, much to my surprise.

“Good boy,” I teased quietly, wrapping my arms around his waist and keeping my eyes on our guest.

“It’s lovely, of course.” There was an awkward pause. “Darius, I think I must apologize. I do not know the reason you decided to go through with the wedding, but I think it was rather foolish of me to assume the worst. Despite the stunt you pulled earlier, it’s obvious that I was wrong. May I ask, without fear of conflict, why you did go through with this?”

Darius maintained his composure and sighed quietly. “I don’t know why it is so hard to believe that we worked out our problems. I love her, father, and I will always love her. Is that so mind-boggling?”

“You have to understand that you did have a rather strange introduction. I did not ever imagine you would decide to marry, let alone wed the girl you received as a present.” He offered an apologetic smile and a small shrug.

“Allow me to tell you something that I had thought to be painstakingly obvious. The moment she walked up to me in the dining hall I had planned to marry her, though the reasons were a bit different. I did not always love her, but I did always know that I would never allow someone else to love her, or even look at her for that matter! I’m working on my control issues, but in the meantime please just enjoy the fact that you have a grandson that is not a bastard child.”

At the mention of Kai (even though it was indirect and rather unpleasant), I pulled myself out of Darius’ arms. He actually let me go, but that was probably because he had read my mind to see what I was up to. I smiled as Marty and my other boys ran up to me. Johnny handed me Kai, and I held him close to my chest.

“Marcus, could you get your brothers some cake? I bet Marty is absolutely dying to have a piece,” I teased, ruffling his hair for a moment. I watched them run off before returning to Darius. “He’s a heavy sleeper.”

“Unlike you,” he muttered regarding the escapade earlier. I grinned, kissing him quickly before placing Kai in his arms. “What do you think he’s dreaming about?”

“Well, if he’s grateful at all he would be dreaming of the person that took care of him this past month.”

“Oh, I knew he would be dreaming of me!”

I smacked him lightly before catching sight of Marcy mingling with Dante and Cameron. Robbie was standing beside Cameron, but it was so obvious that his mind was wrapped around the thought of my new sister.

“Dray, what do you think about Robbie?”

“Haven’t we been over this? I don’t hate—!”

“No, no. I know that, but… What if he was part of the family?”

“Well, that’d mean he’d have to be gay or…”

“Or?” I pressed, smiling sheepishly.

“Or that’d mean he’s stupid enough to think I’d let him lay one hand on my sister, Gracie!” he hissed quietly, glaring in his general direction. “And stupidity is not something that sits well with me!”

“Darius, please! He’s a sweetheart. Would you rather her date someone like Lyndell?”

“He’s dead! I’d rather her date him!” he spat. I glared, and he tried to calm down. “I swear, you vex me to no end, woman!”

“Hey, don’t yell at me!” I muttered, tapping his chest lightly. “He’s a sweet guy, Dray. What’s the worst that could happen?”

“I could become an uncle.”

“Oh, no, are you getting older?” I mocked, sighing apologetically as he made a face. “I gave up everything to have a life with you, but Robbie stuck with me even though I tried to leave him behind. That’s a true friend right there; you won’t find a guy nicer than him—other than you, of course,” I added quickly, smiling gently. “I gave up everything for you. Can’t you have a tiny bit of faith in me?”

I left before he had the chance to respond, but he did yell after me, “Fine! I’ll do it!” rather submissively, which was definitely out of character for him. Maybe I’d finally gotten through to him, or maybe he remembered our honeymoon. Either way, I grinned to myself as I turned around and watched Dray approach Robbie.

“Play nice,” I whispered, smirking when Dray turned to me with a glare that I caught despite the fact that I was halfway across the room. “Love you.”

“Love you, too,” he mouthed. He turned to Robbie and muttered something, slapping his arm around Robbie’s shoulders and leading him away from the circle of people.

I turned around carefully and gasped, my hands rising to my throat. I did not know if I was happy to see the man before me or not, but I didn’t have any choice but to say hello—he was family, after all.

“Gracie, long time no see,” Bryce greeted me cheerily, his hands shoved carelessly into his pockets.

“I didn’t think you were coming. You weren’t Dray’s best man or anything.”

“I had previous obligations, but I didn’t want to miss the reception. My cousin is only getting married once, I can tell.”

“Can you?”

“I can also tell that you aren’t too fond of me. Come on, let’s take a walk.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so cheesy, huh? So I'm glad you find my life amusing! :D lol okay so here's the update! I swear, you are all so great. How many times do I have to say it? I love you! I can't stop smiling lol. Anyway, so last weekend was a nightmare fest, right? 3 scary movies and then Scary Movie 4 (hilarious). So I watched The Blair Witch Project under the pretenses that it was entirely true. Freakiest movie I ever did see! Not scary anymore because I know it's fake, but still. Creepy. And then Amityville and Children of the Corn! Ridiculous! Why do I love being scared? I'm weird! And, regarding the stick thing, I am sorry if that came out perverted (you little nasties!) So my quote for the day is definitely "If my jaw keeps hanging, it might break." It sounds like lyrics or something. Don't ask questions to which I do not have answers! Anyway, I better go write some more before I run out of chapters! Again, thanks for commenting. 308 subscribers. But, as they say, it's quality not quantity and... Oh, what bull! Kidding :D