Trembling With the Strings

Dry Eyes And The Flames Of Hell

I don’t remember much about those days, but it felt like maybe two years spent in Hell had passed by the time I could finally awaken without tears in my eyes. Every night spent tossing and turning had been accompanied by comforting arms and promises of undying love, and I had never known a man to act so sweet before—especially not my Darius. When I cried, he cried; when I screamed, he held me without any intention of letting me go; when I drifted to sleep, I drifted in his arms; whenever I awoke, he was still there.

I had once said that I could never trust him again, not since he had let me down. But I think he had redeemed himself by the time I had finally ceased to be among the living. He had promised that he would stay beside me the entire time, and he truly had. I don’t think he got out of our bed for a second, but I do remember Marcy bringing Kai into the room, so I could hold him. And Darius had insisted that he looked so much like his mother.

So much had changed. I had grown to know Darius: the arrogant, self-centered pretty boy that plays with Daddy’s money; I had grown to tolerate Darius: the hormonal feral man; I had grown to love Darius: the loving father and devoted lover.

Devoted didn’t even cover it, I realized, as I thought back to the past few nights. The last thing he had said to me had been the most perfect thing any girl could ever wish to hear before she died.

“Never. I love you with everything I have to give.”

He may not have thought he had much to give, but those words had helped me through hours of pain and suffering.

“I love you,” I whispered, finally able to speak without cries of pain.

His arms tightened around me in response, and his lips smiled against the skin on my neck.

“I love you, too, angel. How are you feeling?” he mumbled, stifling a yawn as he stretched and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I rested my cheek on his chest, the silence no longer frightening; it was actually calming and seemed to whisper “forever.” Or maybe I’m just cheesy.

“I’m better, I think.” I thought for a moment before leaning up to kiss his cheek gently. “Yeah, definitely better. Thank you for staying, Dray.”

“I promised you, Wifey.” He grinned childishly, catching my hand and kissing it gently. “And I wanted to stick to my promise this time.”

I frowned, regretting letting that memory ever cross my mind. “I trust you now, Dray, and nothing could break my faith.”

“Not again?”

“Never,” I murmured, nestling into his chest. “I promise.”

“When did this happen?” he asked, out of it.

“When did what happen?”

“I don’t know when I stopped thinking of you as a pest, and when I started thinking of you as my soul mate. When did we fall in love?”

“Well, I’m not sure, but seeing you with Demetrius moved things along. It was too cute.” I grinned at the memory. “And Kai. I don’t know why you didn’t want to be a father when you’re so good at it.”

He smiled, kissing my forehead chastely. “I’m glad I didn’t kill you the numerous times I really wanted to—it’s a compliment.” I made a face, and he laughed softly. “So, Gorgeous, when’s the honeymoon? Where do you want to go? Anywhere in the world, baby. You just say the word, and I’ll take you.”

I smiled, thinking for a moment. Anywhere in the world…

“Look who I’ve got!” Marcella cried, pushing the door open. “Is Gracie finally feeling better? Good! You know, she’s a total babe now—not to say that she wasn’t already. Know what? I’m just going to give you this bundle of joy and leave.”

I smiled, taking the giggling infant into my arms and holding him close. “I love you, little mister,” I told him, kissing his soft forehead. He reached out and grabbed my finger, putting it in his mouth and nibbling on it.

“Thank you, Darius,” Marcy mumbled, kissing Darius on the cheek before exiting the room, the door quietly shutting behind her. Dray grumbled something before turning to me with that charming smile plastered to his face.

“Am I the luckiest man alive or what?” Dray murmured, and I grinned. “Babe, you didn’t answer my question. Where are we going?”

I looked down at my little boy, who was contenting himself with sucking on his father’s thumb. The world was so big, but he was so small.

“Can we put it off for a little bit? Just until Kai’s a little older. I don’t want to miss a thing, you know? I don’t want to miss out on a memory.”

“Like his first word…”

I groaned, glaring at my son, as if daring him to say it. He giggled and continued biting Dray’s hand happily, pretending I hadn’t spoken.

“But, Gracie, whatever you want. I understand.”

“I bet you were adorable as a baby,” I told him absentmindedly, looking into my son’s wide eyes.

“Ask Marcy. She claims she still remembers, though I think she’s full of sh—ells. Shells. She’s full of shells.” I laughed at the pathetic attempt, and he groaned. “God, I have to give up my colorful vocabulary now? Fantastic!”

“I think it’s sweet, though you already scarred everyone else with your vulgarity. Dray, I’m curious about something.”

“What?”

“Your real parents…”

“What about them?”

“Well, where were they buried?”

Dray flinched visibly, but he thankfully kept his temper in check. He focused on his son, who seemed to sense the tension in the air. “I don’t know. Probably somewhere in Laos, presumably Savannakhet, which is where the rest of my mortal family now rests. I think Anne was buried there, too, but Drakken had to fight her parents on that. It’s not like they had a burial place anyway, I mean they’re immortal. Or so we thought.” He sighed shakily, and I kissed him gently. “I’m okay. I’ve learned from my mistake, Gracie, and now I can focus on protecting you and Kai and the three little eavesdroppers at the door.”

I opened my mouth to question him, but there was grumbling as the three boys piled into the room. Demetrius lunged at us, bouncing safely on the edge of the bed as Marcus and Jonathan sat on either side of him.

“How do you always know?” I muttered, sitting up carefully while rocking Kai gently in my arms. “What are you three doing here?”

“Marcy said to come get Kai. She wants to show Cameron, and Dante didn’t really get to see him. She also said not to worry, because she knows there’s no way Darius would give Kai up,” Marcus told me with a small smile on his face.

I smiled, carefully placing Kai in his arms. “Be careful,” I bid him, turning to Darius as the door clicked shut.

“I’ll have to thank my sister later,” he told me quietly, trailing kisses up my arm.

“For what?”

“Letting us have some alone time,” he purred, grinning ear to ear.

I smiled, pulling him close and kissing him sweetly. “I love you,” I reminded him, wrapping my arms around his neck.

“I love you, too, baby. More than anything.”