Trembling With the Strings

Those Heels Would Clash Anyway

“I don’t think so,” I snarled, crossing my arms.

“If he’s getting some, I want some, too. I own you, Gracie,” Darius snapped, grabbing my right arm roughly again and pulling me to him. I yelped as he grabbed the bruise he’d given me only a few minutes ago.

“Please, stop,” I begged, trying another approach. He looked taken back for a second, but then gripped tighter.

“You don’t tell me what to do!” he hissed, pushing me to the bed. I tripped and stumbled, falling on the floor. “Girl, you’re getting on my last nerve already! Get up.” I sighed and used the nearby bed to help myself up. “Now then, if I catch you with Lynn ever again, I swear I’ll kill him and quite possibly you. Actually,” he seemed to think for a moment. “Actually, if I see another man so much as touch you, I’ll have his head and then you’ll have me to deal with. Got it?”

“Yes,” I murmured, sitting carefully on the bed as I examined the damage he’d done to my arm. I poked it tenderly and jumped as a shock of pain coursed through me.

“There’s more where that came from if you don’t wise up, I promise. I’m missing my party thanks to you.”

“I’m sorry.” I really wasn’t. It wasn’t my fault he’d gone ape on that poor boy!

“No, you’re not, because you don’t have any manners. You need to learn to respect your superiors,” he told me, walking up to me. I cringed as he got closer with each step.

“What makes you think you’re superior to me other than your Daddy decided to get you another human being as a birthday present?” I rolled my eyes without even thinking about it. This was so ridiculous.

“I already told you, love. I’m above you in the food chain,” he told me tenderly, a warm smile on his face. I knew he was mocking me.

“Yeah, I don’t think so. Vampires don’t exist, darling.” Yeah, I could be a rude jerk, too!

“Oh? They don’t, huh?” he asked, reaching out and catching my hand. He gingerly brought it to his chest, making me stand up. His free hand moved to the small of my back as he pushed my body against his. “I beg to differ,” he whispered, his cool breath washing into my face. My thoughts scrambled as he leaned closer. I just stared and stood still as he leaned closer still. His lips met mine and I betrayed my better judgment as I kissed him back. All of a sudden there was a prick.

“Ow!” I cried, pulling back. I brought my hand instinctively to my lip and brushed it. I felt something warm and sticky. Sure enough there was blood. I stared at him, narrowing my eyes in confusion. He smirked, two of his canines slightly out of his mouth. “What did you…?”

“This is the part where you run away screaming in a futile attempt to get away,” he whispered in my ear, suddenly releasing me. I stumbled back and stared at his lips: my blood was on them.

I did just as he had said I would. I darted out the door, not knowing where exactly I was going.

“Oh, come back. How will I ever catch you?” he called blandly and uninterestedly after me. I ignored his mockery as I continued to run blindly.

This is the part where the heroine finds red heels and clicks them together, saying, “There’s no place like home” over and over until she’s home.

Yeah, apparently this isn’t my fairytale!