Trembling With the Strings

Vampires Suck

“Just wait right here for me until I’m finished,” Darius muttered in my ear, holding me to him as he nipped my neck once. I winced as he drew a small amount of blood.

“Okay,” I mumbled, just waiting for the moment he finally wasn’t touching me with his revolting hands. He narrowed his eyes at me before growling and tearing himself from me with a scoff. I bit my lip as he walked hastily to the front of the room. I sat down by the entrance where he had left me.

I watched silently and jadedly as Darius was greeted with a pat on the shoulder by his band members. He pushed a lone tenor saxophone out of the way and picked up a guitar that I didn’t care to identify. I sighed softly as I glanced around the room. It reminded me a bit of a cathedral. There were rows upon rows of pews and in the front was a stage that was full of random instruments, amps, and speakers. I’d seen their models in a store back home when I’d been window shopping. The amps had cost well over a thousand dollars, I’m sure.

“Hey, what are you doing all the way back here?” someone asked me, a smile in his voice. I looked up and saw Dante. I shrugged.

“Darius told me to wait here. I thought you were riding?”

“I planned on it, but Lydia has something wrong with her flank. Whenever I touch it even in the slightest, she flips. A vet’s taking care of it. I don’t really want to ride Phoebe since the poor girl seems a bit sad these days. I’m not sure why.” Dante seemed to think for a moment before making a face and shrugging. “I haven’t the faintest idea of what’s wrong. But since when do you listen to Darius?”

“Ever since he sucked me dry,” I mumbled, glaring at my feet. The light changed and I looked ahead to see Dante crouched down in front of me, a disoriented look on his face.

“He sucked you dry?” he asked me, his face only growing more and more perplexed.

“He fucking bit me because I wasn’t listening and being perfect for him,” I hissed, blinking furiously as I tried to not remember the pain of his fangs digging into my skin.

“He didn’t,” Dante muttered, shaking his head. He ran a hand through his hair, exhaling slowly. “So you know?”

“Yes. I do. He’s a filthy bloodsucker!” Dante’s eyes darted to the floor. “What?” I heard shuffling and I turned around to see Marcy standing in the doorway.

“That’s what you think we are?” she whispered, sounding so hurt. Her eyes were glistening as she turned away and ran out the door, slamming it behind her. I looked to Dante and saw him looking away from me. I looked up to the stage to see the whole band not daring to look me in the eye—well, except one person. As soon as I met Darius’ death glare, he was off the stage and right in front of me.

“You made my sister cry,” he told me, seizing my arm roughly. “And I promise I’ll make you cry ten times harder.”

Oh God…