Trembling With the Strings

How Dare You Wear Pants?

“Darius!” I cried out, scrambling onto the stage and jumping in between the two. I threw my arms around his neck. I could only think of one thing that would make him happy. Plus, it would get me out of the trouble I’d been in thanks to Lynn’s kiss.

I tangled my fist in his thick, blond hair and pulled him closer suddenly. He didn’t fight me at all, but he seemed confused and a bit angry at my assertiveness until his lips crashed onto mine. His eyes grew wide, but then I felt his arms wrap around me. His hands were shaking as they found my mid-back. I ignored how revolting the guy I was kissing was. All that mattered was that he didn’t kill Lyndell. I didn’t have too much of a problem with Darius until I felt his tongue break past my lips. I gasped out of pure shock, but I guess he thought it was an open invitation as he brought his hands to my hips and crushed our hips together. I gulped as the cliché “Is that your pencil or are you just happy to see me?” came to mind. My heart was racing and there was this queasy feeling in my stomach (not a bad feeling, just strange) and I didn’t really know why.

No, I don't like kissing him at all. Not that he's a bad kisser or anything—I'd just never been that much of a rebel. I mean, if you know you'll get beat down for disobeying, why bother? Not that I have a really pretty face to protect or anything, but I did not want to get bit again. If he was just another human, I would have shoved him into the dirt way before letting him get to second base! I still wouldn't let him do just anything he wanted, but he seemed to respect that there was a line—well, at least he had a little bit of decency in him.

Sometimes life just throws you curve balls, huh?

“Grace...?”

I slammed my eyes shut as Lynn’s voice sounded in my ears. Darius seemed to notice and he made the kiss more forceful, pressing his entire body against mine. I peeked at him and saw his eyes completely closed. He had this peaceful, yet excited look on his face. I yelped and jumped in my skin as his hand drifted farther down my body and he grabbed something he shouldn’t have.

“Don’t touch her fucking ass!” Lynn protested, pushing Darius off of me and baring his teeth. Darius narrowed his eyes, shoving past him.

“She’s mine, Lynn,” he warned, seizing my wrist. I cried out as he grabbed a bit too tight. “And stop being such a baby. God, I don’t see how you’re going to get over when we fuck. I mean, you think a tap is bloody murder, so I hate to see how much crying you’ll be doing in my bed for God’s sake!” He rolled his eyes.

“She won’t be in your bed!”

“Like Hell she won’t!”

And we were back where we started. I opened my mouth to say something, but I didn’t have to. Marcy came running in and she grabbed her brother’s arm.

“Don’t do this. You two are best friends. She’s yours and you know it, so don’t let him vex you like this,” she murmured in his ear.

“I know,” he mumbled, shaking his head. To me, he added sternly, “Gracie, come here.”

“Why?” I whispered, a bit scared of the look on his face. His expression was a mix between perplexed and eager.

“Don’t question me,” he snapped, tearing himself from his sister and grabbing hold of my hips again. “I’m in a good mood—a very good mood,” he purred in my ear, kissing my lips feverishly.

“Dray, please,” I mumbled against his lips, so disgusted.

“Don’t be a nuisance,” he muttered softly. “I’m not going to rape you or anything. Besides, you’d like it.”

I highly doubted that, but I let him drag me away from Lynn, who was protesting loudly while Marcy tried to reason with him. Just before we were out of Lyndell’s view, Darius jerked me to him and crashed his lips to mine. My mind clouded for a second and I jumped into his arms, wrapping my arms and legs around him. He laughed against my lips, rolling his eyes, before tearing me off of him and dragging me back to his room. I felt so embarrassed and ashamed.

I just hoped Lynn didn’t hate me.