Trembling With the Strings

I So Hear The Remorse

“Marcy, do you want to see them?” I called, handing Darius my jacket and watching him as he haphazardly tossed it into the closet. He put Demetrius down with much more care.

“Yes, I do!” echoed off the walls before there was the sound of a herd of elephants trampling down the steps.

I laughed as she peeked around the corner, a smile spreading across her face as she saw the three little faces staring at her with curiosity.

“Oh, they’re so cute!” she cooed, running up to Marty and scooping him up in her arms.

“Marcy?” he asked me, and I nodded. He smiled up at her.

“Oh, Marcy, this is my youngest brother, Demetrius.”

“Marty!” he exclaimed, hugging her. Marcy giggled, hugging him back.

“And this is Johnny,” I told her, gesturing to the quiet boy standing patiently beside Darius. I glanced to Marcus, receiving a glare. “And that’s Marc.”

“Hello, Marc,” she smiled softly, offering a hand. He glowered at it before narrowing his eyes for a death stare.

“You changed my Gracie, and now I won’t ever get her back!” he screamed at her, smacking her hand out of the way and taking off up the stairs.

“Did I do something wrong?” Marcy whispered, putting Martin back on the floor. He immediately ran back to Darius only to be picked up again.

“No, he’s just a bit crabby. You didn’t do anything, I promise. He’s just mad at me.”

Johnny excused himself after saying hello to Marcy, and he darted up the stairs after his brother. I sighed inwardly, turning to Darius. He didn’t return my glance as he kept his attention on Marty, laughing as Demetrius told him a tale of gibberish. Marcella didn’t seem entirely convinced, so I offered her a small smile.

“Maybe I should go check on them,” I mumbled, making my way for the steps. Dray didn’t even notice that I had gone, and I counted that as a blessing.

I called my brothers’ names as I walked up and down every hallway I could find until I got to Dray’s room. I heard arguing going on in that bedroom, so I eased the door open slightly. They were yelling at each other over something.

“You don’t know if they really did! Maybe she was just changing and left it there!” Johnny was screaming at Marcus.

“I’m not an idiot!” he hissed. He took a deep breath. “Grace, I know you’re there.”

I flinched as Johnny turned to look at me, a tormented look in his eyes. I stepped in abashedly, closing the door softly behind me.

“Grace, tell him he’s being stupid. Tell him!”

“What are you two arguing over?” I mumbled, sitting down on the bed.

“Gracie,” Marcus started, venom in his voice, “Maybe you would like us to tell us what you and Darius did today?”

“What are you talking about?” I asked him, making a face. “We didn’t do anything other than bring you here.”

“Really?” I watched as he pulled an article of clothing out from behind his back. I gasped as he held out the bra that Darius had managed to get off.

“Marcus, nothing happened, I swear. I was just changing. I forgot to put it away, I promise.” He seemed to be happy with that answer.

“There you are! God, can’t you just sit still and be a good girl for five seconds?” Darius complained, coming up behind me and grabbing my hips, pulling me to him. Demetrius wasn’t with him, so I hoped he was with Marcy.

“I’m sorry,” I mumbled, getting on my tiptoes and wrapping my arms around his neck. I had to make it seem like I didn’t hate him. I didn’t want my brothers to worry.

Darius seemed a little surprised, but he smirked, seeing through my ruse. “It’s alright, babe,” he purred, crushing his lips to mine. Marc made a disgusted noise, and I saw Darius glance over at him. “Hey, why is he holding the bra that I took off of you this morning?”

“Darius—!”

“Gracie, you lied to me?” Marc asked, sounding so betrayed. “So you fucked this guy, didn’t you? He treats you like dirt, so you fuck him!”

“Marc, wait!” I begged, tearing myself from Darius. Marc screamed something at me that I didn’t catch before slamming the door behind him, running out to the hall.

“Why would you do that?” Johnny asked me, not waiting for an answer as he chased after his brother. I reached after him, but he was gone.

“Oops,” Darius snickered, pulling me back to him. But he didn’t sound sorry at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was just going to update once, but I think I'll update twice now! For two reasons: three stars (yay!) and because you guys deserve it. If you really get more people to read this, I swear I'll owe you one (or two...or fifty) =D