Trembling With the Strings

A Little Thing Called Incest

A few things can ruin a good sleep. It could be a simple dream that wakes you up, a small noise or even an alarm clock. Unfortunately, none of those things were what had disturbed me.

“Oh my God! They’re really here? I thought they were out sailing around the world!” Darius shouted, throwing his blanket over my face as he jumped out of the bed. I groaned quietly, throwing it off of me.

“Who? Who’s here?” I grumbled, shivering as I placed my feet on the cold wood floor.

“Our uncle, Vincent, and our cousin, Bryce,” Marcy told me, grinning almost as much as Darius. “And they did sail around, so they decided to stop by. And Bryce has been asking about you for the last hour, but I didn’t want to wake up Gracie by telling you. I just knew you’d flip.” She smirked teasingly.

“They’ve been here for a whole hour? Why didn’t you tell me?” Darius shrieked, shoving past his sister and darting out the door. I rubbed my eyes, trying to wake up.

“I do believe he just dumped you for a man,” Marcella joked, laughing as she gestured to the door. “Shall we?”

I mumbled nonsense as I shuffled out the door, Marcy right behind me. I stumbled down the stairs and into the den. Everyone continued talking as if nothing had happened. Darius didn’t even glance at me, but one person did.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Yvette glaring at me, but she hurried out of the room right after meeting my glance. I sneered unintentionally, but Marcy caught my arm and pulled me to the couch. I sighed inwardly when she sat me next to Darius, but she made up for it by sitting on my other side.

“So was Venice everything you thought it’d be?” Dante was asking Bryce.

“It was amazing. I mean, aside from the chicks with hairy arms,” he joked, laughing musically. “Really, though, it was gorgeous.”

Darius seemed absorbed in the conversation and didn’t even dare to blink once. He had a grin plastered to his face, and I found myself smiling a little. A little, but not too much.

I was listening to Marcy babble on with her uncle when I nearly jumped. I glanced down at my hand and saw Dray’s hand on top of mine. It was innocent enough, and he didn’t even glimpse at me once. Maybe he didn’t even notice he had done it.

I jumped again when his icy hand left mine to drop onto my thigh. Now surely he’d noticed that! But sure enough he still refused to even glance at me. I sighed in my head, ignoring as he rubbed my leg absentmindedly. I turned my attention to Bryce, who could have passed for Dante’s older brother.

“Darius, you haven’t said anything. So how’s life been treating you while I’ve been away?” Bryce asked him, smiling softly. Dante excused himself from the room.

“It’s been fine, I guess. Probably not as grand as sailing the seas,” Darius said, a hint of envy in his voice.

“Oh, well I’ve missed my family and friends. It’ll be nice to see everyone again. But I guess you’re going to make me spell it out, aren’t you?” he sighed. “So who’s the new girl in Dray’s life? I see she’s living flesh.” I couldn’t quite place the look on his face. Was it concern? Curiosity? Confusion?

“Oh, yeah. This is Gracie. Gracie, this is Bryce,” he told me quickly, suddenly wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me closer. I glanced up at him and he was actually looking at me for once. “Eventually she’s going to be Mrs. Darius Jameson, but I suppose she can stay a Harper for at least today, right?”

While they were laughing, I glanced over to Bryce. He was staring straight at me.

I could have sworn I’d seen him lick his lips. But surely he hadn’t.

...Had he?