Trembling With the Strings

The Joys Of Being Able To Speak

“What?” I whispered, barely able to find my voice. And the smile left his face.

“You heard me!” he snapped. He suddenly seized my waist and pulled me tightly to him. I didn’t like the feeling of his bare skin on mine. “You’re going to be mine and mine alone—forever.”

My bottom lip started quivering, and I shook my head furiously. The last thing I wanted was to be his wife for an eternity!

“Why?” I breathed, terrified. My hands rose to his chest, ready to shove him away at any second. He laughed sadistically, his friendliness gone in two minutes.

“You mean aside from the sex being so very pleasuring?” he purred in my ear, smirking as I grew bright red and made a face. “I want you to be mine. What is so strange about that? You will officially be my property. Plus, I’m sure you never really told Bryce that you love me. I suppose the misery will help me break you, so you’ll be easier to manage. Oh, but that’s just a bonus, my darling.”

“No...No!” I begged, trying to push him away. He snarled, hissing at me and rolling over so he was on top of me. I glowered up at him while he crushed his naked body to mine.

“That’s not the answer I want, Gracie,” he told me before crushing his lips to mine.

I bit back protests as his hands found the small of my back, pulling me closer to deepen the revolting kiss. I just let him do what he wanted, not shoving him away but not responding either. I only watched him through blank eyes, trying not to puke.

“You had better say yes right now or I’ll make it so you can’t speak for months.”

I took in a breath of air the second his lips left mine.

“No threats would ever make me marry you!” I spat, attempting to get him off of me again. He hissed and suddenly moved his hands from my back to pin my arms to the bed.

“Really?” A wicked grin overtook his other evil features. “What if I told you that if you won’t be mine I’ll call child services and have your brothers put into separate foster homes? You’ll never see them again—I’ll see to that myself.”

I stared up at him, tears streaming silently out of my eyes. I didn’t know that little girl in the basement, but I loved my brothers. Killing her wouldn’t put me through as much as making my brothers miserable. Darius pulled back and watched me, looking as if he was about to laugh at my misery.

“You—You wouldn’t,” I whispered, more trying to convince myself.

“Want to test that theory of yours?” His breath washed into my face as he suddenly jerked me into a cold embrace.

He—without another word—rose to his feet and stepped to the floor, pulling me over to him. I wiped away my tears, not caring enough to cover myself. As I looked up at him, I’m sure he saw the panic and dejection in my eyes.

“Hello,” I murmured to Darius with a slight stutter. “I’m Mrs. Darius Jameson.”

A devious grin formed on his lips. He grabbed my hand roughly and pulled a small black box out of his pocket. He opened it to reveal a gorgeous diamond engagement ring, but I wasn’t at all happy to see it. He shoved it carelessly onto my finger before he shoved me back onto the bed, an eager look in his eyes. I’d already been broken long before his hands had started roaming all over my exposed body. I could only stifle cries as Darius moaned against my lips...