Trembling With the Strings

Kids Say The Silliest Things

“Are you all ready?” I asked Demetrius as I crouched before him, smiling softly. He nodded, clutching his blanket. “Okay.”

I ruffled his hair and stood up straight, walking to the boys’ bedroom. I knocked twice before easing the door open. “You guys ready?”

Marcus looked at me through tormented eyes while Jonathan smiled slightly at me. Johnny glanced to his brother before looking back to me, nodding.

“I am.” As he passed me, he mumbled something to me that I didn’t quite catch. I let him go nonetheless and closed the door softly.

“Marcus, please don’t look at me like that,” I whispered, walking further into the room. I sat down on the edge of the bed beside him. “I’m trying to make this work, I am.”

“It’s not working, Gracie. Why can’t you see that? It’s not ever going to work as long as He’s here,” he mumbled, leaning against me. I wrapped my arm around his shoulder.

“It has to,” I murmured, standing up suddenly. “You won’t even have to see him that much. The house is huge and it’s not like he’ll be hunting you down or anything.” I held out a hand and he took it.

“I know that… So is Marcy upset with me?” he asked softly, a slight smile on his lips.

“You can talk to her when we get back home, but I’m sure an apology will do wonders.”

“Grace, about Darius… Do you really love him?”

There was silence. But what was I supposed to say?

I opened the door, mumbling, “We need to get going.”

He followed me, head hanging. I couldn’t say anything to console him, but I didn’t try that hard either. It didn’t matter what he thought of Darius anymore because I had Dray’s word that Marcus was safe in my arms.

And he had my word that I was in his arms. Forever.

I groaned inwardly, leading Marcus back to the car. He was perfectly silent, so I wasn’t even sure if he was behind me. Darius glared at him as I pushed him into the back seat beside Jonathan. I kissed him quickly, begging him to be nice.

The ride was rather awkward. A silence lingered in the air, and no one dared to break it with even a deep breath! It was probably the longest car ride I’d ever experienced. It didn’t last too long since Darius always drove like a maniac and it was only from Detroit to Dearborn, but the silence had certainly been unsettling.

I almost thanked Jesus for when we pulled into the driveway!

Marcus immediately darted upstairs with Johnny, telling me that they were going to go pick out their room. Marty told me that he wanted a room close to Dray, so that was easily settled.

“This had better not change our lives,” Darius warned me, pulling me close and wrapping my arms around his neck. I forced a smile.

“I promise it won’t. I love you, honey,” I whispered in his ear, kissing him. He purred against my lips, his hands on my hips.

“I love you, too, babe.” He pressed himself to me, but shook his head and cleared his throat. I was a little more than confused when he tore himself from me.

“Did I do something wrong?” I asked, staring up at him. He smiled slightly.

“No, I really want to take you up to our bedroom and make love to you, but I—I don’t want Demetrius walking in. Okay? Let’s just wait until he’s busy doing something else. Please?”

I smiled, grabbing his hand gently.

Surely there was still hope, right?