Trembling With the Strings

Godforsaken Monsters Have Feelings, Too

When I opened my eyes I felt horribly groggy. I groaned inwardly: I was in Dray’s room. Fortunately, he was nowhere to be seen. I forced myself to sit up and placed my feet on the floor. The wood was cold on my bare feet, but I made my way to the door nonetheless.

“Gracie!”

I hardly had time to scream before I was tackled and pinned to the floor by my brothers. Marcy walked up to our dog pile, giggling, with Dante beside her.

“Why don’t you three take it easy on Grace for a bit? She’s had a long morning.”

They grumbled to themselves before going to their rooms. Dante smiled softly, helping me up.

“I helped my brother pick out the ring,” he told me randomly.

“Huh?” I was a little more than out of it.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I felt a cold chest pressed tightly against my back and cool arms draped loosely around my hips. His lips fell to my neck, and he kissed it once.

“It cost me a fortune, too,” he breathed, turning me around in his arms.

I couldn’t help but notice that he was lacking a shirt. Darius kissed me softly, and I kissed back. Hey, I liked this softer side of his. But then I opened my eyes to look at my angel only to see that his were open, too.

His eyes—I could almost see that young girl’s blood swirling around his pupils. And I flinched, tearing myself out of his arms.

“Don’t touch me, you—you monster!” I screamed, taking off down the stairs. I heard him calling for me, but I ignored him.

What else could I have done? I thought that I could save her, but Darius had killed her anyway! And then he had acted like absolutely nothing had happened! Just how could he justify his mindless murder? But…it was also my fault that nearly twenty people had fallen victim to my fiancé. I was a monster just like my future husband. I knew it.

I ran downstairs, ignoring the mocking Bryce was doing as I ran past him. I told him to “Go suck yourself!” and ran down to the basement. I had to see for myself. Maybe she was still alive. There was still a small chance that she could still be alive. It was small, but it gave me consolation.

I fumbled down the stairs, my feet hardly touching the floor before they were off the ground again.

“Please tell me you’re alive!” I cried out, turning on the light.

My hopes left me as I saw the corpse lying on the floor in a puddle of blood.

“I lost my temper,” Darius murmured softly, suddenly standing right behind me. I turned to him, crying. He was looking at his feet rather than me.

“She was just a little girl,” I choked, gasping for air. “How could you do that? How?”

“I didn’t want you to see… I would have let her go if she hadn’t fucked with my head. I—I don’t want you to think I’m a monster. Because I already do.”

I stared at him, words escaping me.