Trembling With the Strings

Goodbye, Cruel World; Hello, Bryce

I woke up the next morning feeling rather—well—amazing. Darius was showing some good signs of changing, even if he insisted that he wasn’t. I turned on my side, nestling into my fiancé’s bare chest. His body, strangely, went stiff before he wrapped his arms around me, kissing me roughly.

Something wasn’t right...

Darius had worn a shirt to bed last night!

I opened my eyes and screamed, jumping out of bed. I saw a surprised boy lying in bed, staring at me like I was insane.

“Well, good morning,” Bryce mocked, standing up. I scrunched up my nose in disgust, looking away from his nakedness. He smirked, pulling on some boxers. “You weren’t in such a bad mood when you were sleeping. Or when you woke up.”

“I thought I was with Darius!” I yelled, turning my back to him and crossing my arms. But then I realized something and looked down. “What the Hell?”

I wasn’t wearing my clothes from yesterday. I was only wearing a camisole top and a very short pair of shorts. I turned to face him, glaring. He shrugged.

“Hey, it’s not my fault I saw your amazing body,” he snickered, pulling me to him. I squirmed even though I knew it would be useless. “Oh, calm down.” I bit his arm. “Goddamn it!” he cursed, tossing me away from him.

“Get over yourself!” I shrieked, pulling myself off of the wall he had thrown me to. “Where’s Dray? I want to be in his arms, not yours!”

“What’s so great about him? I’m practically throwing myself at you! Darius has nothing on me, so why do you want my cousin so bad?” Bryce growled, narrowing his eyes.

“Because I’m marrying him! Why would I want you? I didn’t even know you until a few weeks ago!”

“That’s not true at all!” he said, shocked. He reached out and jerked me to him suddenly.

“What? Of course it is! What do you mean?” I narrowed my eyes, allowing him to hold me even though I wanted to puke.

“You honestly don’t remember? Gracie, I am crushed!—then again, you were only two at the time.” He smirked against my neck, his tongue flicking back and forth over my birthmark.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, shoving him away. He just caught my wrist and pulled me back.

“I have proof that we met: just check your neck. You were supposed to be mine, Grace. My father also ran into your parents. They told him that he could have whatever he wanted. I suppose my father and Dray’s think alike, because he wanted you. You were truly an adorable little toddler.

“Of course, I didn’t want to have to watch over a little kid, and neither did my dad. You see, my father knew about the vampire-human slave trade. He told me that the second you turned seventeen, you would be mine. So I bit you, you know just to have a taste—and to make sure you knew you were mine. Your parents agreed to the terms, but I suppose they forgot and gave you away to Darius! Imagine my surprise when I go to visit my cousin Darius and see him holding my Gracie!” He shook his head. “I’m just taking back what’s mine.”

“I’m with Darius now,” I hissed, jerking my arm from him. “I don’t care if my parents promised me to you. I love Darius Jameson, not some freak who wants to get some action.”

I cried out as I was shoved against the wall, Bryce holding me there with his body.

“Fine, I’m okay with no action. I’ll just take what you owe me,” he purred against my neck.

I screamed as he bit down, drawing more and more blood with each passing seconds. The seconds turned to minutes. I blacked out, going limp in his arms.

If I don’t wake up: I love you, Darius. Please know that...