Trembling With the Strings

I Can't Do This

“Gracie... Is it true?” Marcus asked me, peering in to my bedroom. I looked at him through bloodshot eyes before throwing my face back into my hands and crying again. “Oh... Where’s the—the father?” Marcus looked down, probably not liking to admit that Darius was going to father his nephew—or niece.

“He took off after the argument,” I sobbed, shaking my head. “He said we can’t keep it, end of discussion. Either I get an abortion or put it up for adoption... Oh, Marcus, what am I supposed to do?” I bit my lip as it trembled.

“He’s in Dante’s room talking to him. Maybe Dante can talk some sense into him. I think Marcy is in there, too. It was kind of funny. I bet Dante didn’t think everyone would pile in there.”

The door slammed yet again, and I heard their father call, “Are we having a family meeting in here or what?”

“Great. Now everyone is going to know...” I took in a deep shaky breath and let it out slowly. “Why did I have to sleep with him?” I threw my head back, trying to stop crying. Marcus joined me on the bed.

“Gracie, do you love him?” he asked me, hugging me tightly. I nodded, crying into his shoulder. “Then that’s why. If you didn’t love him this wouldn’t be happening. God wants you to be happy, so he gave you a baby. Darius just needs to get sold on the idea.”

I sighed, pulling myself out of Marc’s arms. He watched me as I got up and walked to the door.

“Did you tell your brothers?” I asked him, opening the door.

Before he could answer I was ambushed by Demetrius.

“Baby!” he shouted, hugging me tightly and pressing his ear to my tummy. “Baby in there?”

I smiled painfully, biting my lip and nodding furiously against the tears. “Baby in there.”

He grinned up at me, trying desperately to hear. Johnny walked up quietly, watching me as I fought tears. He pulled his brother off of me, telling him to stop being so rough. Martin pouted, but ran over to Marcus and grinned up at him, telling him the “good news”.

“Oh, Gracie!” Marcy shrieked, darting up to me with Cameron at her heels. They both hugged me tightly, begging me to let them feel. I did, but I didn’t see the point.

Dante came up next with a sluggish and reluctant Darius. He met my gaze for a second, opened his mouth, but closed it again without saying a word. Dante pushed him forward, telling the girls to disperse. Darius stumbled up to me, not able to look me in the eyes.

“I’m sorry I ran out like that,” he murmured softly, only able to look at my abdomen. I covered it with my hands and he looked up. “I was...scared.” He pulled me close suddenly, whispering in my ear so only I could hear him, “I love you, but—but I can’t do this.”

I pulled myself out of his arms, not believing this.

“Are you leaving me?” I whispered, the tears starting again.

He looked so guilty.

“Gracie, wait. Let me—”

I cut him off. “No! I won’t let you! I don’t need you anyway! You should have just left me alone, and I wouldn’t be in this mess! I wouldn’t be stuck with a kid that I don’t know how to raise, and I—and I wouldn’t be stuck with you!”

I darted out of the room and house altogether, not caring where I was going.

I heard Marcy, Cameron, Dante, and my brothers calling for me.

But I didn’t hear Darius.
♠ ♠ ♠
115 subscribers! I had no idea this story would turn out so good =] I'm not sure if I'll update again today... It depends if I feel like it =P