Trembling With the Strings

I Can Resist Anything But Temptation

“Why is there blood on your shirt, Gracie?” Marcus demanded, glaring at me.

“Shouldn’t you be in bed? It’s one in the morning,” I told him, pulling out a piece of paper and pencil.

“Answer that and I will go,” he hissed through is teeth.

“If Darius comes back he won’t be happy to see you in his bedroom.” I started doodling on my paper, begging him to just leave.

“Where were you two?”

“For God’s sake, Marcus! Stop watching me!” I yelled, standing up. He flinched, looking at me with a tormented gaze. “I’m sorry.” I reached out and put a hand on his shoulder. “Mark, please, just drop it.” I threw the shirt off because I was wearing a tank top. I sat back down at my desk, resuming my mindless writing.

“Gracie, please,” he begged softly, stepping up so he was right beside me.

“The baby was hungry,” was all I said. He was silent, but I didn’t dare to look.

“...He...You drank...Blood?” he whispered. I glanced over and saw him shaking his head. I shrugged. “How do you not find that disgusting?” I just kept my eyes on my paper. “You don’t even care!”

I shrieked when he jerked the paper away, immediately dropping it to the floor with a hiss. He had a paper cut, but I wasn’t too worried about it.

“What is your problem?” I demanded, standing up and glaring at him.

He opened his mouth to defend himself, but the door open.

“Gracie, I’m in the mood and—” Darius stopped talking, his eyes falling on my brother. “Is he bothering you?”

I was about to say no, but then his nostrils flared. I stared at him, not entirely sure what he was looking at. His body was rigid as he stared at Marcus. He licked his lips, his eyes blank.

And I suddenly knew what was happening.

“Darius, wait!” I begged, but I was too late.

He lunged at my brother, tackling him to the ground and baring his teeth. Marcus screamed, trying to claw him off. I begged him to get off, but he was too far gone. I grabbed his arm, trying to pull him off myself, but he turned around and backhanded me.

I smacked into the wall, crying out. But that wasn’t what I was worried about.

There was a bloodcurdling scream. And then there was silence. I forced myself onto my feet as Darius pushed himself to his, blood splattered all over his shirt and face.

I screamed, running to Marcus. He was just lying there. Darius was trembling, stumbling for words.

“Would you still feel that way if I had bitten someone you love?”