Trembling With the Strings

When Thy Heart Ceases To Beat

[“Is he going to be okay?” I asked Darius, crying into his chest.

“I didn’t mean to do that, Gracie! I just wasn’t ever around him and we were in a closed room. I—I couldn’t get away!” he yelled, throwing his face into my shoulder. I tried to comfort him, but...

He had bitten someone I loved.

“Can’t they save him?” I whispered, a little afraid to hear the answer. He looked at me through bloodshot eyes.

He was silent for a moment. “I don’t think they can,” he told me, pulling me to him suddenly as I started bawling.

“I’m going to lose him! I couldn’t even take care of my own brother!” I yelled, clinging to Darius as if the world was crashing down around us. And for me, it was.

“Gracie, he doesn’t have to...die,” he whispered, pulling back to look at me. “I could...you know, turn him.”

I had to choose between killing my brother and making him a vampire? I started crying again, pulling Darius back to me again. He rubbed my back softly, apologizing over and over. He kissed me feverishly, telling me I had to make the decision now or it’d be too late...

Two Hours Later

“How is he?” I asked the Darius the second he walked out of the room. I wasn’t allowed to go in because it was unsafe for a human.

“He’s not conscious and his heart stopped. That’s a good sign. It isn’t going to be as painful as it usually is. And speaking of that... I want you to know that I won’t leave your side for a second after I bite you. Okay? I don’t want you to have to do it alone like I did. I know that my father says that it makes vampires stronger to do it alone, but you don’t need to be strong: you have me to protect you. I may not be able to provide for a child, but I sure as hell am going to take care of you.” He kissed me softly, picking me up and holding me to his chest. “Not to brag, but I’m pretty damn tough.”

I kissed his cheek before burying my face in his chest.

“Is Gracie okay?” Lyndell asked, running into the waiting room. Darius narrowed his eyes. “Marcy told me she’s pregnant and that you two were at the hospital! Gracie, nothing is wrong with the baby, right?”

I went to tell him everything was okay—for me anyway—but Darius put me down and shoved me behind him, baring his teeth at his best friend.

“She’s having my baby, Lyndell,” he snarled, looking ready to kill him.

“How can you be so sure? It could be mine!”

What?” Darius turned to me, his death glare on me.

“It is not!” I yelled, grabbing Dray’s arm and holding it tightly. “Darius, I swear to God it’s yours. You’re the only man I’ve ever been with.”

“I thought you wanted to be with me, Gracie!” Lynn shouted, his face twisting up just liked Dray’s had.

“I love you, Darius,” I mumbled, kissing him softly. “I swear.”

“Tell Lyndell that,” he hissed, glaring at our unwanted company. I took in a deep breath.

I opened my mouth to tell Lyndell that my heart belonged to my fiancé, but the words wouldn’t come out. All of a sudden Lyndell split in two. Both he and his new twin were blurry! I reached out, trying to steady my world. But my legs buckled.

The last thing I remember was my head smacking the tile floors...