Trembling With the Strings

The World Stole The Faith Right Out Of My Soul

“Darius, no,” I whispered, backing away as he stepped closer.

He looked absolutely insane! I nearly cried when I ran out of room to run—my back had hit the wall. He put his hands on the wall on either side of my head. Darius leaned in and kissed my lips softly.

“Do you want it to be romantic? I can do that. Or if you want it to be rough I can do that, too. Or sweet. Or I can just do it. How do you want it?” he whispered, kissing my jaw.

“I don’t want you to do it at all! I’m supposed to have seven more months!” I cried out, pushing on his chest.

“Oh.” He smiled softly. “I got it. You want it rough, like I’m a bad boy,” he purred. Darius pulled off his tight green V-neck and jerked me closer. “I’m a bad boy and you’re a good little school girl, so I’m going to rock your world, right? Is that how you want it?” He unfastened a few of my shirt’s buttons, kissing below my collarbone. When he bit down I pushed him away.

“Darius, this is ridiculous! I said no!” I yelled, ducking out of his arms and running to the other side of the room.

“Oh, so you’re the bad one and I’m the good boy you’re going to corrupt? Okay, I can do that. But I wish you’d make up your mind.” He stumbled up to me. “So do you want to fuck first then bite or bite then fuck? I’m good with either,” he whispered, suddenly right in front of me.

Okay, that would have been hilarious if he wasn’t serious. I mean, “You’re the bad one and I’m the good boy you’re going to corrupt.” Really? Do people even talk like that?

“You’re not doing this. We’re waiting until I’m seventeen, remember?” I hissed, glaring.

He frowned. “But I want you now.” He kissed me softly, not so subtly trying to unbutton my shirt the rest of the way. I smacked his hands away and he scowled, trying again. I just smacked him away for the second time, crossing my arms over my chest.

“Darius, you can’t force everything in life! If it’s meant to be it will happen. You just have to trust the world a little more. Please,” I begged, throwing my arms around him and holding him tightly. I wanted the sweet, apologetic Darius back. I didn’t like this phase.

“Why should I trust the world at all?” Darius asked me, shoving me away and lumbering over to the bed. He collapsed suddenly, all the fire gone from his eyes. “Way to go, Gracie. You killed the mood.”

“Dray, good things happen to good people,” I told him, daring to step up to him. He glanced up to me, looking tired—as if I was toying with him and he wanted me to stop.

“That’s bullshit!” He stood up suddenly, making me fall backwards. That crazed look was in his eyes again, and I couldn’t stop shaking. “I was a good kid! What did I do? How did I deserve to watch my parents die trying to save helpless little me? I don’t think I deserved to suffer! And what of Marcy? Oh, yes. What a blessing it was that she was dying of tuberculosis! All is good with God and his fucking nonsense, isn’t it?” he hissed right in my face. “Don’t patronize me, Gracie. I won’t be fucked with.”

“But if you just—”

“I gave up believing a long time ago. Why don’t you get that? I’m done dancing around in Fate’s hands like some little toy puppet! I’ve taken things into my own hands, and you fall under the ‘things’ category. You’re mine. That kid is mine. I’m not going to stand by and watch as he dies—or as you let him die! You don’t have a choice anymore: I’m just going to do it before you can even think of taking another breath,” he spat in my face, yanking me up.

He hesitated. I could see it in his eyes. And I jumped.

I screamed as loud as I could, begging someone to “Get this psychopath off of me!” as I flailed in every way I could. The door was practically busted down by Dray’s father, who looked absolutely horrified. Darius bit down suddenly, but he was yanked off of me nearly the second his lips touched my neck.

I stood, trembling, as Darius was slammed against the wall. His father demanded to know what was wrong with him and proceeded to tossing him to the floor, not even offering to help him up. Darius forced himself to his feet, casting a fleeting glance at me. My body went rigid as I surely stared Death in the face. I hugged myself, begging him with my eyes to just leave me alone.

He took in a shaky breath before looking down to his feet. Dante, Cameron, and Marcy came running in, demanding what was wrong. I covered my neck, feeling blood seeping onto my shirt. I didn’t want a repeat of what had happened to Marcus.

I suppose they put two and two together since they started screaming at him, but all I could think about was how crazy Darius had looked. He had looked so determined that he managed to appear insane! But I also saw something else flickering behind the fire:

Pure torture.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for the previous cliffhangers... But it's quite possible that I've ended this chapter with another cliffhanger! I'm sorry, but I'm just so awful =p