Trembling With the Strings

Lonely Pianos And The Sad Notes They Could Play

I stopped crying around midnight and I had a horrible headache. My eyes were all puffy and bloodshot, too. Not to mention how queasy I felt. Marcy still wasn’t back and I figured everyone was asleep anyway. Besides, I needed to raid their medicine cabinet. And how hard could it be to find?

Turns out, it’s very hard!

I know the house looked big on the outside, but it was even more massive on the inside! Within two minutes I was completely and hopelessly lost. I don’t know how many halls I had wandered or how many rooms I’d checked. Actually, my headache had gone away after twenty minutes of aimlessly wandering. And it’d been perfect timing, too. I’d managed to get totally lost right when my headache vanished!

Eventually, I heard a faint noise. I needed to know how to get back to Marcy’s room, so I started heading towards the... Music? I neared a huge set of elegant double-doors and heard someone playing the drums and someone on a bass. I carefully pushed out the doors and peered in.

There were various electric and bass and acoustic guitars (all Gibson or Fender), tenor and alto saxophones, keyboards, violins, clarinets, flutes, and drum sets all organized neatly on a large cabinet that lined the wall behind the performers. I also saw quite a few different amps lying around in the back as well as a Fazoili grand piano that had been immorally pushed to the corner. Half of the room was taken up by a stage and the other half was occupied with row upon row of comfortable-looking seats. The back half of the stage was taken up by the instruments alone, but the stage was large enough to harmoniously accommodate both performer and instrument.

There was a red-haired boy sitting behind the drums, a brunette on a Gibson Les Paul Junior, and Dante was in the seating area talking with two boys with black hair. I didn’t see Darius, so I stepped further in. All eyes snapped up to me and the music stopped abruptly. I froze as my limbs refused to obey me.

“Oh, hey, relax guys: it’s just Gracie,” Dante mumbled, sending a confused glance my way. He walked up to me taking huge strides. “What are you doing? What if Darius sees you?”

“I got lost,” I muttered, completely embarrassed as blood rushed up to my face. He sighted, but then his eyes got wide.

“Why have you been crying?” he whispered so only I could hear. I shook my head, not wanting to bring him into my problems. “Gracie...Ugh!” He turned to the drummer. “Lyndell, can you get Gracie to Marcy’s room?” The redhead nodded and walked up to me.

“Thanks,” I mumbled quietly, casting one last look at Dante. He was staring sullenly at me, shaking his head. I turned away from his disapproval and Lyndell led me out of the room. He smiled and waved off my thank you. As soon as the door closed behind us, it got way too dark for me to see.

“Are you coming, Gracie?” he called. I ran after him, but stumbled and fell. He yanked me up, smirking. I could only tell because he was so close. “Be more careful,” he joked.

“I can’t see!” I pouted, smiling despite myself.

“Okay, here.” He grabbed my hand and smiled, leading me upstairs. “Well, here’s Marcy’s room.”

“Oh, goodness, I honestly don’t know how to thank you!” I smiled. He smirked.

“I have an idea.”

“What?”

I hardly had the question out before Lyndell pushed me to the wall and crushed his lips to mine. There was this strange feeling in my stomach. It wasn’t bad—actually, it was kind of pleasant. I smirked and pulled him closer.

“We should take this to the room,” he mumbled, opening the door while he still managed to kiss my neck. I nodded, not used to a boy actually paying attention to me. Back in my town, I was that broke girl that no one wanted to be with romantically. Lyndell’s affection was so new to me and I honestly had no idea what I was doing. But then I heard an unfamiliar voice.

“Lyndell? What are you doing up here?”

I glanced back to see a blue-eyed blond boy. I instantly recognized him from the picture. And he certainly looked very full of himself.

Oh, crap: Darius!