Trembling With the Strings

Just A Little Insecure

I’d gotten accustomed to spending my nights on the couch with Darius. It’d been a month since that little talk, and he’d been in a much better mood lately. We would just sit there in each other’s arms in total silence, not even paying attention to the television. Demetrius usually joined us, and Johnny and Marcus typically sat on the other couch.

The only problem was Katelynn and Yvette. They were too much to take sometimes. Yvette would constantly bug Darius with “polite offers” of her services. I don’t mean sex, but she’d probably gladly put out if asked. Katelynn would just walk over and sit in between my future husband and I. Darius would tell her to move, but then she just pouted and moped on the floor. I loved her and all, but she could just be a pain sometimes.

“Gracie, you’re showing even more,” Darius groaned, pulling his hands back to himself. He smirked when I scowled.

“I blame you!” I teased, sticking my tongue out at him. He tried to hold me again, but I pushed his hands off telling him to be careful or my fat might make him disappear from the world. He laughed, holding me anyway.

“I’m thinking he’ll look like me and be so irresistibly sexy,” he told me, kissing my forehead.

“I’m thinking you’re cocky.”

“Well, you’d know,” he whispered, laughing when I grew bright red. “Oh, calm down, Miss Virgin.”

“Don’t be a jerk,” I muttered, grabbing my stomach as the baby threw a fit. “I thought that a baby shouldn’t be kicking this early.”

He frowned. “Well, it’s not exactly human, is it? It doesn’t take as long to develop. I’m pretty sure we have around three months left. Then I’m going to put you on birth control.”

“Or just wear a condom,” I grumbled, rubbing my stomach. I wasn’t fat! I was just a little less boney, but that was healthy, right? Yes. I was at a healthy weight! I think.

“It’s like wearing a raincoat in the shower: what’s the point?” He smirked, standing up and stretching. “On that note, do you mind if I go get a shower?” I shook my head. “Alright. I love you.” He kissed me quickly.

“Have fun!” I called after him, getting up and wandering into the kitchen.

I grabbed a bag of chips and sat back down on the couch. Katelynn fell down beside me, Yvette on my other side.

“What’s it like to know that your husband wants to get rid of your kid because he’s afraid it’ll look like you?” Yvette asked, smiling innocently. I scowled.

“What are you talking about? If we kept it he’d beat it to death!”

“Hey, Gracie,” Katelynn started, smiling. “What’s it like to know that Darius doesn’t find you physically attractive anymore? I mean, when was the last time you two did the dirty? He doesn’t even want to shower with you!”

“He’s giving me my space! Stop being so...ugh!” I shoved chips into my mouth. God, I am fat!

“What’s it like to know that he hates being around you?”

“Why doesn’t Darius make out with you anymore like he used to?”

“Why are his hugs friendly and not passionate?”

“It’s okay, Gracie, I’m sure Darius is fine with you not looking like a model anymore.”

“Maybe you should put down the fork every now and then, you know?”

I was near tears! Johnny and Marcus were just watching as they threw all of my insecurities into my face, laughing as I dropped my chips and hugged myself.

“He loves me,” I mumbled, feeling tears in my eyes. “He does!”

“Keep telling yourself that,” Yvette mocked, patting my leg before getting up and walking away. “He told me that he loved me, too. Then he got sex, I thought I was pregnant, and he was gone!”

“It’s okay, Grace. I’m sure he loved you at some point in time,” Katie told me. “Just not anymore.”

I caught Marc’s glance, but he just looked away with a scoff. Johnny refused to look at me.

I ran out of the house and into the backyard, crying. Why did they have to do this to me? What had I done to them?

I fell to my knees, looking up at the full moon in the night sky. Phoebe came trotting up to the fence, neighing and wheezing. I smiled, petting her nose.

But who was that? I could have sworn I saw a shadow in the distance. Was it a person?

By the time I knew what was happening, all I could do was let out a single scream.
♠ ♠ ♠
I won't be able to update tomorrow morning, so here's tomorrow's chapter. I have to get "pretty" and that's take me an hour! Overrated, I know. And I'm sorry that Gracie was so emotional in this chapter, but I had to get her to go outside somehow!