Trembling With the Strings

You're Not A Guy I'd Take Home To Mom

Marcus wasn’t too happy to see Darius, but he did run over to Marcy. I heard him ask her what was going on, but Darius pulled me down the sidewalk and way ahead of everyone else. I jerked my hand out of his, placing my hands on my hips.

“I want to know what is going on,” I told him, frowning. He grabbed my hand, smiling.

“Don’t worry about it, okay? I’m going to take care of everything. Don’t lift a finger.” He kissed my forehead before pulling me up to my front porch. “I love you.” He leaned down and pressed his forehead against mine, looking into my eyes.

“I love you, too,” I sighed.

“It’s been too long,” he told me, embracing me suddenly and kissing me softly.

“It’s been a day,” I teased, taking in a breath as he opened the door.

“But I’m so used to having you next to me all day,” he mumbled, pulling me inside. His face hardened suddenly and he let go of my hand, looking down the hallway. “Where are they?”

“Darius, what is going on? Please!” I begged, stepping in and closing the door. We were so far ahead of everyone. Was that the point?

“Gracie, don’t push me on this,” he hissed, checking the kitchen.

“They’re not home. Obviously.”

“Don’t get smart with me. I can wait,” he muttered, collapsing on the couch. He glanced up at me, gesturing to the seat beside him.

But the second I sat down he was up again, walking down the hall and into a bedroom. I didn’t get to ask what he was doing because he came back, showing me a ring in his hand. My engagement ring.

“Where did you find it?” I asked, taking it from his hands as he sat beside me.

“You’re mother took it from you. Obviously.” I ignored that last part.

“Why would she do that? She knows I’m engaged to you. Maybe it fell off, so she picked it up.” He scowled, shaking his head and looking at the ceiling.

“I was hoping it wouldn’t come to this,” he murmured to no one in particular.

I didn’t get to ask what he was going on about because Marcy poked her head in, as if asking if it was safe. Darius nodded, and she walked in followed by my brothers.

“They’re not here,” she told him, assuming. “So what do we do now? Just go home?”

Darius shook his head. “No. They’d pull the same exact stunt. I’m going to explain this to those blaggards again. Maybe they’ll understand if I’m more...persuasive.” Darius pulled me into his lap, kissing my neck softly. “I missed you.”

“Dray, please,” I begged, wanting to understand.

“What are they doing here?” Katelynn asked, walking in and tossing her bag to the floor. “Did Darius come to visit me?”

“No, I can assure you I didn’t,” Darius growled through clenched teeth. She shrugged. “I’m here to talk to your parents. I want to know what happened.”

“Oh. You’re only here because Gracie is,” she scowled, kicking off her shoes. “Of course that’s what it is.”

“Katie, please don’t do this,” I mumbled, pulling myself away from Darius and grabbing her wrist. “You’re my big sister. You’re supposed to watch out for me.”

“Like you even need me,” she hissed, pushing me away. I stumbled, but caught myself.

“I do need you,” I told her. “We used to be so close. Until that stupid boy came between us. I told you I didn’t even want him!”

“Shut up about him!” She pushed me away again, storming into her room.

“Grace? What boy? Forgive me if I’m prying,” Marcy said apologetically, smiling softly.

“Lance Stone. He was a jerk. It was like a year ago; it doesn’t matter.”

“Oh, Gracie, I think it does matter. That’s the day you decided to put a man before family!” Marcus hissed, elbowing past me and running into his room. Johnny and Demetrius followed him silently.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. “He had been my best friend for a long time, but Katie liked him. She based our relationship on jealousy, okay? That’s all.” Darius frowned at me.

“I want to know, Gracie,” he told me, as if that would change my answer. I opened my mouth, but he shook his head. “Isn’t Marcy your best friend?” Marcy grinned. “Tell her.”

Oh, boy: story time.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really am sorry about the lack of updates! I figured since I just came through the door, I might as well update since I've got a load of homework to do tomorrow. So at homecoming I danced with an ex and a friend. Not my best call, but my jerk decided not to go to the dance because he'd rather be at home being a jerk (but he's a lovable jerk most of the time)! But I'm sure I'll have hell to pay later for it. Oh well. His friends were all dirty dancing with each other, so they made me laugh at least. Hopefully they won't tell on me! I'm rambling again, though I do that a lot. Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to update regularly from now on! =]