Trembling With the Strings

Learn To Let Go Even If It Kills You

His father picked him up, but Dray insisted that he would be taken back to my house. I told his dad that there were only two blocks left for the day, so I would be able to watch over him when I got home. I then had to face the day with only Marcy, Bryce, Lyndell and Robbie.

Abigail refused to speak to me after all.

But that aside, the day was going rather smoothly. Bryce was busying himself with bothering his cousin, and I wasn’t sure about Lynn and Marcy. They didn’t even look at each other even though we all had the last block together. It was a study hall, in which talking was allotted. They were talking about random things, but my mind was elsewhere.

Everyone had stared at me after Darius’ little outburst. Bryce had given me heat about that, messing with me and whatnot, but Marcy had stepped in to rescue me. Lynn hadn’t said a word to me, but that was probably a good thing considering the conversation we’d had at the beginning of the day. He would occasionally glance at me, frown and turn back to Bryce and Marcy.

“So what’s up with Dray?” Bryce was asking, pulling me out of my trance.

“He’s had a lot on his mind lately. I’m not sure what made him finally snap, but he hasn’t been in the best mood as it is. Even still, I’ve no clue what’s wrong. Gracie, did you two have another fight?” she asked me, her brow furrowed as if she was in deep thought.

“No. Last time I checked we were alright…” I was really starting to worry.

“Yeah, I bet they had a quickie before school,” Lyndell muttered, glowering at me.

“Lynn, stop it!” Marcy hissed, smacking his chest. He rolled his eyes.

I ignored them as they argued over Darius and my sex habits. My eyes fell on Abigail. She glanced my way, scowled and turned her nose up at me. I sighed, getting up and walking over to her table.

“I really need to talk to you, Abby. Please.”

“I don’t want to talk to you,” she hissed, turning away again.

“Please. I’ll tell you everything, I swear,” I whispered, begging her to just look at me. She finally did. “But I can’t guarantee you’ll believe me.”

“Fine.” She stood up and gestured for me to follow her to the back of the classroom where no one was sitting. “I’m listening.”

“Well, what do you want to know?”

“Are you really having that guy’s kid?” She was ready to read me for any lies. I sighed, nodding. “How did you two meet? How long have you been together? Are you really getting married to him?”

I smiled, thinking. “My parents ran into his dad, they exchanged words, and worked out a deal. They sold me to him.” She made a face, but I continued. “Well, we’ve probably been together for around four months, almost five. And, yes, I’m engaged to him. We’re getting married on my seventeenth birthday.”

“Do I get to be the maid of honor?” she asked, smiling softly. I bit my lip.

“I’d have to ask Darius…” I didn’t want her to see. I could picture her screaming.

“Why would he be objected to it?”

“He’s just a bit of a control freak. I’ll run it past him, alright?” Marcy would probably be a better choice…

“Oh. That’s okay then. So I heard some things… You’re not coming back for senior year, are you?” she asked, such betrayal in her eyes. I couldn’t lead her on. It wasn’t right.

“I’m finishing early this year, too. I’m not even sure if I’m going to be here long. My mother wants me to, but Dray thinks it’s a waste of time. I don’t think it’s necessary either. I’m stupid.” I tried to lighten the mood, but her face fell.

“Yeah. I thought it was true. Well, we’ll still talk, right? We’re best friends.” She smiled gently.

I glanced up and saw Marcy staring at me, shaking her head softly. I had to leave my human life behind me, even if it killed me.

“You’ll always be the most amazing person I ever knew,” I told her, smiling painfully. “But you’ll go off to college, and we’ll slowly drift. We’ll always have the memories.”

The bell rang, so I stood up and made my way back to Marcy.

“Love is respect,” she called after me, shaking her head. “And I don’t think that’s what you’ve found with Darius.”

I bit my lip, hurrying out the door with Marcy.

I wish I could have told her, but I knew it would have blown up in my face sooner or later. Marcy smiled reassuringly at me, telling me it was for the better.

But she never had to let go of the life she’d grown used to.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah it was a little filler-ish, but I needed to cut off Gracie's ties to the human world. Or maybe I just needed to make more people hate Darius! Either way, it had to be done. I'll update soon since I've got a few more chapters typed up =]