My Enigmatic Enemy

The Last of Sixth Year

It was very soon after our night of soaring through the air together that hell broke loose.

I knew Harry was blaming him for cursing Katie, and I knew that he was partially to blame…and I love my cousin, I’m not saying I don’t…but I love Draco, too. It’s not right to have to choose, is it? But I’d rather Draco be alive than dead, which is what he definitely would be if he didn’t at least try to do as the Dark Lord asked him. I didn’t want to choose…I don’t want to choose.

Harry left with Dumbledore an hour ago. I know because I heard Ron and Hermione whispering about him, almost worriedly, as I passed to go nick something for Katie, Leanne, and I from the kitchens. I knew it was something to do with getting rid of Voldemort, and I know it’s all for good…but my thoughts shifted to Draco and my gut twisted. I knew that Draco’s plan would be set in motion tonight, and that I would be powerless to stop him. And I knew that I probably wouldn’t even try. In the line of work he was involved in, I knew Draco wouldn’t be able to pay me two seconds notice, and that I would be cut down instantly.

But I’d fight the other Death Eaters that came. I don’t care if I get killed by one of them, as long as I keep them from hurting anyone dear to me again. Besides, I’m a Gryffindor. It’s my job to fight dark wizards or witches unknown.

I knew that Ginny, Luna, Ron, and Hermione, and several other members of the D.A. were stationed somewhere right now. I also knew, as I handed a few sandwiches to Katie and Leanne, that I was about to go find them. I had just turned seventeen, and was of age, so I might find a member of the Order and say that I want to help the patrol - just for tonight. I’ll say I can’t sleep.

“Tonks!”

She turned to look at me curiously. She was the first person I’d come to in the halls. “Yeah?”

She probably didn’t recognize me, even though my father was one of the members of the order. “Oh, sorry. You don’t recognize me! I haven’t taken one of those potions…I’m Ami Carson.”

Recognition dawned, and I continued. “I was wondering - I mean, is it okay if I patrol with you tonight? I can’t sleep, and I’ve been seventeen for a week and a half, and I’m just restless and want to do something useful if I can’t use this time to sleep.” I rambled a bit, but I knew Tonks would understand.

“Yeah, sure. Come on.”

All was quiet, and Tonks and I were wandering the halls - seemingly without a destination - when I heard a scream. We shared a look and rushed towards the voice, noticing a dark cloud coming from the seventh floor corridor on which the Room of Requirement held residence. I heard a bloodcurdling human howl, and I realized that they’d brought Fenrir Greyback.

So not good.

“Ami, behind here!” Tonks hissed, and we squeezed into a crevice behind a suit of armor. I soundlessly cast a disillusionment charm on Tonks, and then myself. I heard a muffled, “Thanks.”

And we watched the group rush by. There were at least ten, including Amycus and Alecto Carrow and Fenrir.

And Draco.

My gut clenched, but I knew better than to reveal myself. I would be killed in an instant and never be able to see anyone again, even those I aimed to protect by patrolling with Tonks. When the Death Eaters had passed, I removed the disillusionment charms and we stepped
out, hearing coughing and shouting from the corridor.

“Peruvian instant darkness powder?” I suggested.

“Most likely. That kid had a hand of glory…”

Again with the gut clench. Again with ignoring it.

“Tonks!” Ron cried as he finally got out of the hall. “The Death Eaters--”

“We saw,” Tonks said. “I’m about to alert the others.”

She sent her patronus out a nearby window, most likely so it wouldn’t pass the Death Eaters and lead them straight to an Order member.

Chaos ensued. I was there when Bill Weasley got mauled by Greyback. I shot a curse at him, at the same time as someone else, to blast him off of Bill, and then had to duck a jet of green light. I was there to see Harry chasing Snape down as though he would kill him if it was the last thing he did. I was there when Draco rushed by in such a frenzy he didn’t even notice it was me. I had even shot a halfhearted stunner down the hall to try to hit someone, but it ricocheted off the walls and didn’t hit any of them.

I was also there when Harry walked up to Dumbledore’s crumbled body. You could tell, afterwards, that he was shaken, and the locket in his hands mustn’t have been worth Dumbledore’s death.

I also knew then that things were about to change and that I’d better be ready for it when it does. My seventh year was going to be utter hell, especially without Draco. Not that he wouldn’t be there - I’m sure he will, with the new order I’m sure will take over - but he won’t be able to acknowledge me. And I’m not going to be one of the ones who just sit around and do nothing. I won’t stand by and watch whatever it is Voldemort’s going to do to Hogwarts without a fight.

I’ve got to strengthen my resolve, because it may mean that I can never be with Draco again. But if it’s what’s best for everyone else, I’ll do it. After all, I’m a Gryffindor…and it’s time I started acting like one.
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't seem to get inspiration together. This IS the final chapter of My Enigmatic Enemy. I'm just trying to decide whether I want it to be the last chapter of Ami. And if it is, there is no guarantee that the sequel will be a Draco story. Besides, it's my opinion that this one kind of sucked anyway, and moved waaaay too fast. And if the sequel IS a Draco story, there's not a guarantee that it'll be happy anyway...

Oh, well. I've got more ideas for the sequel anyway. and this chapter was kind of choppy on purpose, as bad as that sounds. I wanted to get the chaotic sense across...and the sense that Ami is starting to realize what it means to be a Gryffindor.

*Sigh* I've convinced myself to write a sequel. When it comes out, it'll probably be called, "Finding Bravery". Thanks for reading if you even liked this choppy mash up of a not-so-good Draco story =3.

<333 Amanda

All Fake is a Tom Felton story...sort of...that was just started. It's not by me, I promise, so I'm sure it'll turn out better than this one =3