My Enigmatic Enemy

Realizations and Confrontations

As we left the Great Hall, I glanced towards the column of Slytherins going down to their own common room to spot the platinum blonde head just descending the stairs to the dungeons. I turned my attention away quickly, however, at Ginny’s asking me what I was looking at.

Strangely enough, the minute I looked away, I felt eyes on me, but the feeling left a few moments later.

To the mixed emotions of glee, disgust, and apprehension, I found that I had three classes with the Slytherins that included Draco Malfoy. All of my classes, however, included Hermione, who was probably the second third closest friend I had in all of Hogwarts, Ginny being second and my cousin being my closest. I could tell Katie nearly anything without worrying about being judged. Except, I felt, this new obsession with watching Draco Malfoy.

The weird thing about all of it over the next two weeks was that, every time I looked away from Draco, I got the prickling, someone’s-watching-me feeling again, but when I’d draw my attention back to Draco, it would disappear. It confused me, it intrigued me, it made me wonder. And then, I started thinking about what this could mean. I mean, I’d never cared for the git in the slightest, up until the end of last year. Then I started noticing him more, and now I’m practically staring at him every chance I get!

Oh, no.

Oh, no, oh, no, oh, no…

It can’t be that I’m starting to…like him? Like, really like him?! The arrogant arse!?
I banged my head on the table, and I got a strange look from Ron, who whispered to Hermione, “You don’t suppose she’s lost it, do you?”

“Shut up,” I mumbled, not caring to elaborate as to why, as I stood and left the Gryffindor table and the Great Hall to prepare for Arithmancy, which was next. I stopped in a corridor a ways away, just to think for a few minutes while leaning against the wall. I closed my eyes and ran through my thoughts again, and sighed with the realization that I probably really was starting to care for him. I shook my head again and headed to class as the bell somewhere in the castle rang to tell us all to get to class.

So I tried to get the blonde Slytherin heart-throb out of my mind.

I threw myself into just random escapades on my broom out at the Quidditch pitch, with
Ginny occasionally joining me so I wouldn’t look like an idiot playing alone, since I wasn’t even on the team.

I studied ahead in lessons, having all of my required books finished by the end of the third week of term.

I stayed up late so that I would be too exhausted to dream of anything or anyone when I finally fell asleep.

But with all of my new, and as Hermione would say ‘unusual’, habits, I couldn’t stop staring at him when his head was down or when I passed him in the hall. It wouldn’t stop me staring when I happened to pass a window and they were already out having a Slytherin Quidditch practice. I couldn’t help but watch the way his hair blew, how he leaned into the broom to make himself shoot through the air. I made sure that, every time I sat down to eat in the Great Hall, it was on the side that I could see all the way across to the Slytherin table, and somehow, he always seemed to be facing the Gryffindor table.

So, that’s how a month and a half passed. With me utterly obsessed with Draco: noticing the pale features that grew paler by the day, his hair that seemed messier than ever before…things I’d never cared about before. And it seemed like I was seeing him everywhere, not just near the classes we had together.

And I caught him looking at me once.

But I thought it might have been my imagination, so I ignored it. Defense Against the Dark Arts was where I was headed this time, which happened to be a class I shared with him, when I was bumped into roughly from behind. I spun around angrily to be met with the icy grey stare I’d been thinking of.

“Watch where you’re going,” I managed to even sound a little angry, although there was a little exhilarated flutter in my chest.

He just looked blankly at me, then muttered, “Sure, whatever.” and stalked past me.

It was then I wondered: Where were Crabbe and Goyle? His cronies? I shook my head, and continued on my own, more leisurely pace towards Defense Against the Dark Arts. It was just a few moments later that I heard heavy, thudding footsteps that came to a stop near me.

I turned again, to see the two large idiots themselves, cracking their knuckles, and glaring malevolently at me.

“Hello.” I said simply.

Goyle grunted, and Crabbe shoved me. With their glares at me, I could only guess that in some way, shape, or form, that I had offended them. Was it by talking to Draco? I took a deep breath and looked at the two thugs who were cracking their knuckles and advancing on me.

“Better hurry up, you’ll be late for class if you don’t get a move on,” I said in a falsely cheery voice that didn’t deter them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short. Just like the first one, but hey, it's an update!
And I know I made time FLY but...I don't want to slowly progress it like with a lot of my other stories, so I went...ZOOOOOOOOOOM!

So, here's part two of My Enigmatic Enemy, and I hope you liked it. comments are appreciated, suggestions will be considered, and...thanks to my readers/subscribers/commenters!

<333 Amanda