My Enigmatic Enemy

About the Incident

I got to class just on time. It was a week into October, and I had just avoided the stupid thugs again and barely made Transfiguration on time. “Phew,” I murmured to myself under my breath.

“Ami!” Hermione immediately had her scolding expression on, and I saw Ron and Harry exchange exasperated looks. “You just barely made it! You need to be more careful, and come earlier!”

“Not everyone can be like you and make it to every class early,” Ron said to her, receiving a glare that made him sink lower in his chair and made Harry smirk.

“Don’t worry about it, Hermione,” I said softly. “I just went the long way to avoid running into some Slytherins.”

At this, Hermione shut her mouth. She and the others had decided that my ‘incident’ towards the beginning of term was still too traumatizing for me to discuss. Which was perfectly fine with me, to be honest…it gave me more time to be away without them worrying about me…possibly more time that I can spend with the one person they would never believe. And then McGonagall walked in, thus saving me from any further explanations. If I can call it saving, when she was just going to give us homework.

“Homework already,” Ginny groaned at lunch.

“Not as much as us, I’m sure,” I said with a grin. I didn’t notice the look she gave me as I continued, “We’ve got a Transfiguration essay, and I’m sure Snape’s going to torture us.”

“That’s the most I’ve ever heard you say at once,” said a voice from across from me, and I looked at the astounded face of Ron.

“I talk,” I said defensively, “Just not as much as everyone else.”

“You’ve been talking more since whatever happened to you,” Hermione said suddenly in a musing tone of voice. “But not about what actually happened.”

“Oh…have I really?” I said, kind of hesitantly.

“Yeah,” Ginny said, sitting up straighter. “You have been.”

“Wow,” I said with a shrug. “I didn’t notice.”

“See!” Ron jumped back in the conversation, “Normally you would’ve just shrugged, and not said anything.”

“Yes,” Hermione and Ginny nodded as Hermione said this.

“Not that it’s bad,” Harry said quickly, “but if you’re talking more, maybe you could tell us---?”

“Harry!” Hermione cried.

I stood up, not too suddenly, but I know I must’ve looked mortified or something, because
Harry looked very ashamed of himself as I said, “I’m sorry, I’ve got to go…” and walked away.

I walked halfway to the next class before I cut into a passageway that hid itself behind a quite solid-looking wall. Was Draco having such a large effect on me that I was changing even my shy personality? Becoming more talkative? If I kept changing at this rate, they’d all find out that something’s up before long…I just don’t know what I’m going to do when and if they find out. They’d try to keep me from him, and I…I’d try to escape and get back to him. I just know it.

“Stupid, stupid, stupid,” I murmured, sliding down the wall and putting my forehead to my knees. “You’re so stupid.”

I sighed, and looked up at the ceiling. And, of course, thoughts of the blonde that had somehow entered my life rolled through my head like they’d been waiting for me to get somewhere private to play like a film. I relived the most recent time we’d encountered each other, when we’d found a way to arrange a meeting and we’d snuck to the astronomy towers to watch the stars, and he’d kept his arm around me almost protectively, but also almost like he was afraid I’d run away.

I wish I could tell him that I’d never run from him, no matter what, but…that might make him be the one to run. The type of person I’ve seen in him this past month made me know he’d leave just to keep me safe. He would. I just know it.

I heard footsteps, and a, “Where d’you think she went?”

“I dunno, Hermione!”

“If we were girls, we might know, but as you’re the only girl here…”

The first I recognized as Hermione, even without Ron calling her by name and the last was Harry.

“Excuse me,” hasty footsteps caught up, “but I’m a girl, too.”

“Of course you are, Ginny,” Ron said.

I kind of shook my head, stood, and left through the other end of the passage. I didn’t know that they ever used that one, but I’m sure that they’d know it was there. They’d probably look…ugh. I just wandered the halls after a glance at my watch told me there was still fifteen minutes until the next class. I felt rather like Luna Lovegood, who I passed on the fourth floor just wandering with a dreamy look on her voice and who almost breathed her “Why, hello, Ami.” at me.

I chuckled at myself and turned the next corner, and spotted Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville, who I assumed they’d recruited to the ‘find Ami’ cause. I stepped back and walked back the way I’d come. A chuckle came, and footsteps came out of the classroom behind me.

“Did you see that?” I asked, my cheeks rather pink.

“Yep,” he laughed, “and I’ve been doing the same thing they’ve been…”

“Looking for me?” I asked, slightly surprised.

“Yes. You looked terrified of something when you got up and left the Great Hall.”

He followed me when I took a turn into a passageway and went down a floor, then found another passage.

“Did I?” I asked rather airily.

“Yes.” he took two long strides and ended up in front of me, blocking the end of the passage. “And I want to know why.”

“No reason,” I didn’t meet his eyes.

“Ami,” he leaned over and looked in my eyes. “Tell me what’s wrong, please.”

“I…I don’t want to,” I said softly. “It’s…”

“It’s not embarrassing, or personal, or whatever you were going to say.” he stated firmly, and I sighed.

“Th…they’re trying to find out what happened the day Crabbe and Goyle…” I trailed off, but he knew exactly what I meant. “Draco, I don’t want to tell them. I’m no good at hiding things from people, and if I told half I’d end up telling the rest.”

I felt his arms wrap around me. “Don’t worry about it. The worst they can do is kill me, and that’s not any different than other people I’m acquainted with.”

“Don’t say that,” I whispered. “I don’t want to hear it.”

“I’m sorry,” he gave a gentle, loving squeeze. “It just came out.”

I hugged him tighter. “I know, but I still don’t want to hear it, especially from you, because then I know it might happen. What if you went home for Christmas, and didn’t come back? I…no. I’m not even going to think about it.”

“Then I won’t think about it, either,” he looked in my eyes again. “I’ll just think about this, and that will help me get through the day.”

I laughed softly at this as he gently pressed his lips to mine and I returned it just as gently.
♠ ♠ ♠
OKAY. First chapter in a while.
sorry.
Reason being: It's getting closer to the 'Katie incident' and i dont' want to put any spoilers yet because there may still be SOME readers that haven't read the sixth and seventh books....
So...I hope it's not too blech or anything, and...here it is.
ALSO: School started yesterday (Monday, August 17th) so...updates may only be once a week, or once every two or three weeks. Not sure yet, I'm still not back in the motions yet.
SO. Thanks so much for reading, and until next time!

<333 Amanda