My Enigmatic Enemy

Quills, Sweets, and Blood-Curdling Screams

For the second time in the second month of school, I skipped.

Draco and I spent our time up in the Room of Requirement, which had changed into just a sitting room that was small but comfortable enough for the two of us to talk. It felt so much better to know more about Draco, like what he’d done as a child and what his favorite food had been.

“To tell the truth,” he said, scratching the back of his head, “My favorite Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour bean used to be buttered toast.”

I couldn’t help but chuckle at this. “Mine was always spinach,” I said in reply. He gave me a curious look, then kind of laughed and kissed my forehead.

It couldn’t last, and soon enough I was dragged to Hogsmeade with Katie and Leanne. Not wanting the trip to be useless, I ended up buying a new quill and ink that changed colors with your mood, and then at Honeyduke’s, I bought some Sugar Quills and some of their best chocolate. Then Katie bought a round of butterbeers for us, and we found a table.

“So, Ami,” Leanne leaned towards me, grinning mischievously. “What Hogwarts man has
drawn your attentions?”

I jumped. “My…attentions? What do you mean?”

“Which guy do you fancy?” Katie joined in. “There’s plenty of them who like to look at you.”

“N…nonsense!” I said defensively. “I’ve got no time for that, I’ve got to keep up with Hermione.”

At this, they laughed. “You do a good enough job as it is, cuz,” Katie grinned. “I don’t think anyone can keep up with that girl, it’s like she’s swallowed the text.”

“Be nice,” I murmured sternly.

“You’re right, that was rather rude.” Katie waved it off, “Sorry. But it’s kind of close to the truth.”

“Even so!” I retorted.

“Ah, don’t worry about it. You’re great in all of your classes without studying excessively.” Leanne said in a bored tone. “Not that I’m saying Hermione studies excessively, but she does study a lot. You just pay attention and retain the knowledge.
That’s skill, I wish I could do that.”

“Well, I’m off to the bathroom, then what do you say we head back early?”

“Yeah, sure,” Leanne said, and I mumbled consent.

She was in there for longer than I thought was necessary, but I breathed a sigh of relief when she came back out. She said rather breathlessly, “Okay, let’s go,” and immediately headed off.

Katie was acting odd. She was slightly edgy, and she jumped at some of the smallest noises. I watched her intently, as the sleet swirled around us. The snow on the ground wasn’t very deep, and where Leanne and I weren’t dragging our toes, Katie was. She even stumbled. I furrowed my brows, and glanced around. There, behind us, were the Golden Trio - Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I felt a brief sense of calm - I felt that if they were there, if something happened, they’d figure something out. I was sure of it.

It was then that I noticed the little brown package that Katie carried.

“Katie, what is that?” I asked urgently, stepping up to tug at it.

“Nothing,” Katie tugged it from reach, and kept walking. Leanne picked up in my stead, gave me a glance, and I nodded.

“It’s not nothing, where did you even get it?” Leanne asked her, a hand on her arm. Katie snatched her arm back and stalked on.

The arguments of the two grew louder progressively, as we continued up the path.

“What is it, Katie? Where’d you get it?” Leanne asked quite forcefully.

“It’s nothing to do with you, Leanne!” Katie said loudly, and shrilly.

We rounded the corner of the lane, the sleet seeming to thicken, and Leanne lunged at the package. Katie pulled it back, and the paper ripped as it fell in the snow.

Then, gracefully, as if she was trying to fly, Katie rose into the air. It was nothing like the sensation of a broom, I saw this immediately. Her hair was whipping eerily, her eyes closed, and her face pale and emotionless. I froze, as did Leanne, and the trio behind us. And then, Katie’s mouth opened in a terrifying scream that seemed to send shards of ice through my heart. She kept screaming, a blood curdling scream, and Leanne joined in, terrified, and grabbed her legs. I saw Harry, Ron, and Hermione rushing forward to help, and when they got there, Katie fell on them. Harry and Ron could barely hold her. She was writhing in some invisible pain, and Leanne and I could only watch in terror. I saw Harry glance around, and then he yelled, “Stay there! I’m going for help!”

He turned and ran towards Hogwarts. That’s when I got feeling back, and I saw the package. The others were too preoccupied with worry and fear at Katie’s condition to notice me kneel beside the glittering silver necklace, and reach my hand down. Inches away, I pulled back as though stung and tried to shake the images from my mind. The images of every other person to touch this cursed piece of jewelry - the images of their screaming, their writhing in agony, their deaths.

Then I heard, “Get back! Lemme see her!” and looked up to see the gamekeeper, Hagrid, rushing towards us. I never was so happy to see him in all my life.

“Something’s happened to her!” Leanne cried, sobbing. “I don’t know what -”

Hagrid watched Katie for just a moment, then scooped her up effortlessly and broke into a run towards the castle.

Her screams died away and left us standing there with only the wind in our ears.
♠ ♠ ♠
OKAY here you go, my lovely fifteen subscribers.
I made a layout, I hope you like it!

Well, this is a fairly short update to keep you satiated (I hope!) and I hope you like it.

DISCLAIMER: Much of the Katie Bell fiasco came from the book, but I embellished upon what the great J.K. Rowling already had in place, from a different character's view.
And I tried to keep Ami out of the action for the most part because I don't like when people invent characters that jump right into the middle of things that have already been writting, because it just seems weird to me. And yes, I'm doing it by even creating Ami Carson, but I'm not going to jump her into EVERY LITTLE THING that happens. Yeah.

ANYWAY. I hope you liked it, Comments/subscriptions appreciated, until next time xP!

<333 Amanda