‹ Prequel: Family Reunion
Sequel: Communion

Union

The Beginning of a New Life

What does 'union' mean? Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines it as, 'an act or instance of uniting or joining two or more things into one'.

Now what is the definition of 'reunion'? Same dictionary, 'Medieval Latin 'reunitus', past participle of 'reunire', from Latin re- + Late Latin 'unire' to unite. 'To bring together again'. 'To come together again'.

Now, how does the definition of 'union' fit into a new phase of a young womans life?

It could mean one of many things, 'The first time she had sex with her boyfriend. The first time she was able to piece together the shattered remnants of her life. Or, perhaps it refers to union as the time she married the love of her life.'

Yes, union in marriage. That quite fits the definition of the story of a once lonely girl whom grew into a woman over the course of one very peculiar year in Berkeley California.

In case it shouldn't already be obvious, this woman that's referred to, is Rose Cool.

Just two years ago in her cousin Billie Joe's back yard she married her beloved husband Tre Cool.

Things had been quite different since the events of 2005, and the early months of 2006. There was the tragic untimely death of their son. That was something that had at first seperated the happy couple, but eventually made the two stronger than ever.

Since that tragedy, neither of the two had really discussed having children again. In fact the only mention of having kids again had been two years prior at their wedding, where Tre had written in his vows, "I still want to be the father of your children."

Rose hadn't approached the subject of children with Tre ever. She always wanted children when she was younger, but since losing her baby, she had been too fearful of being hurt again. Too afraid to lose another child, and then have Frank and her go through the same thing all over again.

What Tre wasn't aware of, is that Rose didn't EVER want to have children again. She didn't EVER want to try. In her mind, the idea of it just wasn't feasible.

It was the early hours of July 30th. Today was Rose's twenty-first Birthday, and in the State of California and United States, that now made her legal drinking age.

Not that it mattered, she was always able to drink when ever she wanted to anyways. And unfortunatly for her, that was a habit she had taken to quite a bit in the last couple of years.

Tre worried for her health, but he knew she wasn't drinking out of depression. She was doing it all just for a good time. And he couldn't really speak, he liked himself a few drinks as well. Well not a few...A LOT.

Billie Joe in the last year had cut his drinking down in half, which was something Adrienne had nagged him about for years. He finally gave in, and actually found he was happier when not drunk constantly.

He spent a lot of time with Tre and Rose, and his cousin and him had almost become what many would consider best friends. Of course Mike Dirnt was his best friend forever, but on a family level Rose was by far his favored family member.

Billie looked out for Rose and behind her back tried to urge Tre to get her to stop drinking so much. Tre agreed to, but when it came down to it, he never did. He just felt like 'party hardying' with his wife.

And besides...after years of the hardcore rock star lifestyle, he couldn't really picture his life without alcohol. It was like taking his drumset away, it just wasn't happening.

A man has to grow up sometime though. Even if he has to remember being a 'sober child' to do so. Since this is how Tre spent the majority of his teen years as well, remembering 'how not to party' would be a difficult task.

Tre had always been about the age of a goofy twelve year, stuck in a grown mans body. And Rose on the other hand, she just liked to have fun sometimes. She would be growing out of this 'party every night' thing before Tre.

In fact, if she wasn't around he might never let go of it. But all one could do was try. And although today was 'legal drinking age day,' she felt a sense of maturity coming with the respectable number 21.

After today she would be trying to change her life around. She would try to be taking on some responsibility. Rose would stop drinking. And if everything went well, Tre would also agree to quit.

All for the sake of their union.

Chapters of Union, Parts 1-35 © 2006 R.K.R.M