‹ Prequel: Family Reunion
Sequel: Communion

Union

The Birth II

Mike had been at the hospital for quite sometime now, and it was finally getting into the final stages of Rose's labor. She was finally becoming dialated enough to start pushing.

He sat at Rose's side, holding her hand. He was very kind to her. How could he not be? After that event three years ago when he had walked in on her in the bathtub panicking as she gave birth to a dieing child.

Billie Joe paced about the room, like he was the expecting father. Yet all he worried about was Rose's and the baby's safety. He didn't want a tragedy like had been brought on last time.

"UHHH!"

"Okay, darling try to relax," the doctor said. "We can start the birthing process in a few minutes. Just try and relax your muscles."

"UHH! I CAN'T!" Rose screamed, as she crushed Mike's hand with her own. Mike didn't react to it though, he was just glad to be there for her.

"It'll be okay," Mike said consoling her.

"You must be the father?" the doctor asked Mike.

"No, just a friend," Mike blushed.

"AHH! PLEASE! MIKE....please get Frank!" Rose begged.

"I can't," Mike said, he shook his head and placed his other hand on her hot forehead. "I'm sorry I can't for you."

Adrienne and Billie Joe sat spectating from the side of the room; a side of Mike Dirnt they hadn't seen very many times before. It brought smiles to their dampened spirits.

***

Tre tossed and turned half the night away. He couldn't sleep in this strange new place. Not while he didn't know if Rose was alive or dead. Not when he thought he was going to spend the next nine years in prison.

"Man, stop tossing," Clive said from the top bunk.

"I'm sorry. I'm worried about my wife," Tre replied, and he sat up, stooping his head under the top bunk.

"Talk to one of the guards. Sometimes they're nice and sneak the inmates into use the phones," Clive said.

"Yeah right. After what I did to Snake earlier?" Tre said.

"Oh yeah," Clive said. "I don't know. Just ask. Wait until one of the guards comes and makes his round."

"Okay," Tre said, and he laid back down.

After waiting a good half hour, there was the sound of footsteps coming down the concrete cellblock. Tre got up out of bed, and approached the locked bulletproof glass door that lead out into the corridor.

The guard was bearing a flashlight and Tre could see the light, before the guard even stepped in front of his cell. Cell by cell, the guard shone his light on sleeping inmates, making sure everything was in order.

Stepping slowly infront of Tre's cell, the guard shone his light directly on Tre. He approached the cells speakerbox and spoke, "What are you doing awake?"

"Look, I really need a favour," Tre said, with pleading eyes.

"You're asking me for a favour, killer wannabe?" the guard said nastily, smashing his baton against the palm of his hand threateningly.

"Umm...yes," Tre answered. "Look, my wife is having a baby right now. I need to know if she's okay. Please...I just need to know."

"Go back to bed, killer wannabe," the guard said.

"Johnson!"

The guard turned to look back down the hall, and Tre's eyes adverted in the same direction, all though he couldn't see any great distance down the corridor.

"Yes, ma'am?" the guard answered.

"Is there a problem here?" a narrly looking old woman said as she came in front of Tre's cell. She was a tough looking old broad.

"No warden, I'm just trying to get this inmate to go back to bed," the guard replied.

Tre looked at the guard and glared. The guard glared at Tre in return, without the warden seeing. "Why aren't you in bed?" the warden asked Tre.

"My wife is having our baby right now. I just need to know if she's okay," Tre said, placing his hands up against the glass of his cage.

The warden stood in silence for a long moment, before walking over to a switch on the wall. That which she pressed, activated the electronic lock on Tre's cell. She stood back.

"You may make one phone call. But don't think you won't be punished for your actions in the laundry room earlier today," she said.

A smile came on Tre's face as he stepped out of his cell, "Thank you warden," he said with much appreciation in his voice.

She nodded her head, "Johnson, please accompany us to my office."

Johnson nodded, as Tre began to follow the warden. He turned around and childishly stuck his tongue out at the guard.

***

"Okay, sweetheart and just start with a nice light push," the doctor instructed Rose.

Rose conjured up her strength to push. Gently she pushed but it hurt her like hell and all she could think to do was scream.

"You're doing fine," the doctor said assuringly.

Rose cried, tossing her head back and forth, "UHHHH! Please don't let my baby die!"

"We're going to do all we can. Just breathe darling," the doctor said kindly. "Okay, see where I have my finger?" the doctor asked Rose, as he pressed it on the lowest part of her pelvis.

"Ahhh! Yes!" Rose said, squeezing Mike's hand ever so tightly.

"The baby's right there," the doctor confirmed.

"Doctor, there's a Mr. Cool on the phone. He says he's her husband," a nurse said, sticking her head in the door of the delivery room.

"Ahh! Oh God! It's Frank!" Rose shrieked, finally feeling a surge of delight in her hours of agonizing pain.

The nurse brought a cordless phone in and handed it to the expectant mother. "Here you are ma'am."

"Oh my God!" Rose shrieked again as she put the phone to her ear. "Frank?!"

"Hi Rose, how are you doing angel?" Tre asked, feeling so pleased to hear her voice.

"Uhh! I need you! Oh God Frank, it hurts! I miss you..." Rose cried.

"It'll be okay. I wish I was there with you right now. I miss you swe..."

"AHHHHH!"

"Mrs. Cool, a couple of more pushes," the doctor instructed.

"No! I can't! Uhhhh!" Rose screamed, the phone that had been glued to her ear fell to the floor.

"I can see the head right now, just take a deep breath. Then give one last big push. You have to try sweetie," the doctor said.

"Uhh! I CAN'T!" Rose cried.

Tre was crying on the other end of the line. He realized Rose was too loopy to talk to him; he wanted more than anything to be there.

One final push from a weak-bodied Rose, and the sound of a crying baby filled the ears of everyone in the room. Including Tre, who was still listening on the phone in the wardens office of North Kern, at exactly 4:35 AM on March 1st, 2009.