‹ Prequel: Family Reunion
Sequel: Communion

Union

The Damsel in Distress

While she had been waiting for Mike's arrival, Rose decided she would take her daughter for a quick stroll around the block, to clear her unsteady thoughts. Putting on Michelle's tiny shoes, and placing her in her stroller, Rose opened the front door as a bristle of humid air came whisping through.

Her raven-like hair blew across her face as she turned to the side, and pictured her dark strands to be her wedding veil. Reopening her sealed eyes, Rose was transported to a warm summer's day, four years ago in her cousins back yard.

Before her, stood her soon to be husband, Frank. He looked so incredibly handsome in his corsage adorned tuxedo. The two stood hand in hand at an alter, before a priest and a white rose covered gazebo.

The way Frank was looking at her, brought a thousand and one smiles to her pale face. Sadly what felt like his hands in her grip, be only the handle on her daughter's stroller.

Rose came back to reality, and sadly stepped outside in the west coast rain.

***

Coming downstairs, from the upstairs master bedroom, Adrienne saw her husband sitting down at the kitchen table, and observed him to be upset about something. "What's bothering you William?" Adrienne smiled jokingly as she looked at her husband, and saw him grimace, at the sound of that name.

"Nothing..." Billie Joe sighed.

"Come on hunny. A woman knows. Something is definitely bothering you," Adrienne smiled, as she came over to hug him.

"Adi for frig sakes!" Billie snapped, as he sluffed her away. "Nothing's bothering me!"

"Whoa..." Adrienne said, and she backed away and went over to the counter to grab a fresh cup of coffee.

Billie sighed with irritation once he had realized he was being a jerk. "I'm sorry hunny."

Adrienne placed the coffee pot back on its burner, and slowly turned back to look at her husband, once again. "Do you want to talk about it?" she asked in a soft voice, that she knew would make him comfortable.

"I can't," Billie answered her blatantly.

"Okay..." Adrienne said respectfully. "Can I ask you why?"

"It's just not my place to be saying things. I mean, I know something, and I shouldn't be telling everyone and--well you know what I mean," Billie said, and he looked down at the table, thinking of Mike and Rose.

"Yes, I do," Adrienne smiled. "Can I make you a coffee?"

"You know what babe...that would be fucking awesome," Billie answered, and he looked up to smile at her thankfully.

"So, what's going to happen with Sarah?" Adrienne asked, as she bowed her head downwards. "She was my best friend. I don't see how this big mess all happened..."

"I'm sorry Adrienne," Billie sighed.

"So what's happening?"

Billie placed both of his hands atop his head and sighed in a stressed manner, "Sarah's awaiting trial. Unfortunately in this God forsaken state she'll be waiting months for a hearing."

"Months?" Adrienne asked, as though she was in disbelief.

"Yep. Probably just as long as Tre had to wait for his trial," Billie said, and he stood up from the table to join his wife at the counter.

"But, how long did Tre have to wait?" Adrienne cross-examined.

"Well, no one knows for sure. I'm guessing right about the time he went bezerk, that's when he found out," Billie Joe grinned, as he placed his hand on his wife's hip.

"Fuck. I want to talk to Sarah again. I need to find out what the hell is up with her, and where she's been all this time," Adrienne grimaced, as she kissed her husband and a smile came on her face instantly. "I hope I can get through to her. I want to be friends again..."

Billie grinned nervously, "Hmm--umm...yeah---ah coffee?"

***

Mike set off from his house almost directly after getting off the phone with his friend's wife. After having carelessly thrown on a pair of shoes, Mike was out the door, and in the driver's seat of his BMW.

He had moved so lightening speed while getting ready, that he realized he had better drive slow, just to ensure Rose didn't think he was utterly desperate and sad. Perhaps he wanted her to believe he was desperate though?

After driving around impatiently for quite some time, Mike finally decided he should go over to Rose's house. He felt he had waited a safe and sufficient amount of time.

Pulling up in front of the gate that lead up the treed driveway of the Cool's residence; Mike waited nervously a few more seconds in silence.

This would be the first time he'd really seen, or heard from Rose since that dreadful morning three months ago, when they woke up in bed together. He didn't really find the memory of seeing her beautiful face when he woke up dreadful. It was those memories of how upset she was, and then Billie walking in.

Those were the memories that made it so dreadful.

Breathing in the stale life of this humid day, Mike activated the gate and slowly crawled his car up into the driveway. His eyes adverted up towards the top floor of the large house, as he slowly approached the top of the driveway.

Parking his car in front of the garage, Mike glanced up at the second level of the house once again. He kept thinking how awesome it would be if Rose was looking out her bedroom window, impatiently waiting for him. She wasn't, and all Mike could do was sigh and nerve rackingly force himself to get out of his vehicle.

As he stepped outside onto the brick driveway the sound of a crying baby caught his attention.

Scanning his eyes over the property's premisis, Mike could tell the sound was coming from outside of the house. Following the infant's cries up the laid stone walkway, Mike saw a stroller parked up in front of the front door.

Approaching it dumbfoundedly, Mike placed his hand on the stroller's handle. He slowly turned it around, and found Rose's seven month old daugher Michelle, crying all by her lonesome.

"Hi Michelle..." Mike said, as he leant down and took the baby girl's tiny hand in his own. The baby continued screaming, as Mike looked up from the stroller towards the front door of the house. "Where's mommy Michelle?" Mike asked, as he slowly released her delicate hand and stood up.

Leaving the stroller for a brief moment, Mike walked causiously up towards the house's heavy built, oak and iron door. He placed his hand up in front of the doorbell nervously, before pressing it.

The church bell sounding chime went off, and filled the inside and outside of the house with its delight.

This delight, was followed by what Mike thought was a scream.

Quickly placing his hand on the doorhandle, Mike discovered it to be locked. The more he tried to pull and fight the door, the more these screams persisted.

"Oh my God!" Mike shrieked pounding the door with his fists, before placing his ear flat up against its oak surface to see if he could hear the happenings of the inside of the house.

"Please don't kill me!"